Setting goals

How many of us can relate to feeling like life is happening all around us, without us being a part. I know I feel like a real under achiever any more! I thought setting goals then taking steps to make them happen might help with this for me.

Post any goals you come up with, and we can all give constructive ideas that might help each other make them happen. I'll post one of my five goals below and get it started.

Perplexed's ROOM MAKEOVER

One of my top goals, since I am home a lot for now, it to make our place feel more warm, loving, inviting and comfortable. It will also let me use some pent up creative energy. We are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck, so am on a budget. Also will allow me to do at home when the weather is too hot, won't feel so much like I'm trapped I hope.

Our herd of children as teens wore this place out. we have done a lot of work already, including new drywall, paint and carpet in a bedroom morphed now into a private space for my husband and his man stuff.

My first project is our tiny living room, 12 by 14. I stripped out everything but upholstered furniture, and the media center. I already have up some thermal drapes with a valance (a clearance find!), as it faces southeast and gets too much sun and heat in. Our front door is there. My husband loves the very beat up old 1970's fake wood paneling and popcorn ceiling. EWE. We own the place so cosmetic changes can be made.

If you had an empty room, a "blank canvas" to create a comfy room in, what touches would you put there? What would make you walk in the door and feel like you got a big hug and were welcome?

room makeover

decided some big soft floor pillows to pull out for company would be a nice touch. small room, not much seating, works for us day to day but if kids and grands are here, a bit cramped. have room in a spare closet for storage.

found a nice DIY site online, and they tell you how to deal with and cover up the outdated and torn up paneling. I want color, so a light sanding and smooth spackle job will let me have someone paint it.

So 2 welcoming ideas to work on. I can probably make the pillows and save a lot of money, and hubby is a decent painter. I will just sand and spackle a section of wall at a time.

I get to go get paint chips! We have a running joke here, when I tell my better half I'm going jean shopping, he knows I'm headed to the home improvement store. However this time I'm not telling him what for. I will give him time to get over the old paneling.

Goal to become LESS ISOLATED

This is huge for me, as the usual you have chronic illness things have happened. A change in my abilities, and friends and family not understanding and some even unheard from in a long time.

Does anyone have ways they can share to cope, so becoming isolated gets better, or doesn't happen to the newly diagnosed people? What have you done to stay involved with other people? What has worked for you?