Big Changes!

Well it is official, I am moving into my own place this weekend! I am super excited to have my own "little" place it is an efficiency so it is going to be very small. It will allow me to be more independent, its at an assisted living place and so I might be able to get help and well checks. The thing I am most excited about is not having to clime 15 steps to go the bathroom or go to bed! Its really hard on my "bad" days. And my sugars have been off so I am constantly on the go...

Since this is my first time being out on my own and now I have to learn to live on my own while being "sick". What are somethings you have found to help you with daily living when you have your "bad" days? Especially ways you cook for yourself. When I am doing really bad I can hardly get out of bed or walk across the room. I am already feeling my body shutting down from all the packing and stress of the changes. I am thankful for family and friends who are helping as much as they can.

I am also trying to cut out as much processed and eat as much gluten free food as I can. I love the Bisquick gluten free pancake mix! So do any of you have any favorite recipes or tips on how you eat gluten free? I go through spurts of things I really like eating and right now its salads I could eat them all day long....

First of all, congrats!!! Sounds like a great thing. I’ve lived alone most my life. I had to move back home during this flare. The only advice I really have is that on your good days, cook more food than you think you need. That way you can microwave on your bad days. And clean in sections. Don’t try to do everything at once and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Congrats again. I’m excited to see how this new chapter in your life goes. I’m happy for you.

I am really happy for you! I loved all of the above advice . Great idea for cooking more on good days. Enjoy your new place.

I am excited for you. Having your own place/space is awesome. As far as food/ cooking, make stuff ahead of time. Also, I keep non fat Greek yogurt on hand for when I don’t feel like cooking. You can mix anything (fruit, cereal, etc) in it. I use the vanilla flavor as the plain is too tart for me. I also get veggies from SAMs that has individual microwaveable bags inside the bigger bag. I will bake or grill a bunch of chicken at once and have that on hand. SAMs also has some pork loins that are precooked and quite tasty- just nuke them for a minute. Kellogg makes a Special K protein cereal I like, not sure if it is gluten free but it has a lot of protein. As to keeping your space clean, I had a small place in college. I loved it because it was compact and easy to keep clean- if I didn’t keep it neat and clean as I went, it drove me crazy because I could see everything (yep, that small but it was the first space I ever had that was mine and I loved it.) I like that you will have no stairs. Yippee! I also like that you will have someone to check on you as needed. Good luck and enjoy.

Oh! Chex is gluten free. So are Amy’s rice bowls. And cottage cheese with jelly is my best friend. Anything that you can steam in a bag like fish is wonderful. And DONT ISOLATE! :wink: even if you come on here and talk. Isolation in your own place after being so recently diagnosed is a recipe for depression.

Congrats on "living on your own". Make crockpot meals which will probably be good for 2 days. on the good days it might be wise to make double meals and freeze one for a day you don't feel much like cooking. Stay ahead of everything on your good days.Have family and friends help you out whenever possible.

It will be good to have medical help when needed.

Good luck to you.

Cindy

I love the ideas!

I too am learning to live on my own with lupus. I make soups and freeze them, this has been very helpful and heathy. I also have greek yogurt. Acorn squash, butternut squash is great, and keeps in the refer for a few days. crock pot meals are great, my daughter suggested making all the fixings like veggies and freezing it in individual bags, so then you can just throw it in the crock pot with out to much trouble.

Congratulations how exciting !!!

Thanks all for all the great tips! I am really looking forward to the adventure! Its nice they have a community room and several little areas where people sit play cards or do puzzles. So it will be nice to still have interaction with people.

Bless your heart.....prayers for comfort and strength!!!

Lori

Hi!, one thing I have learned is , You have to ask for the help when it is needed , don’t think about “am I bothering or over asking people for help!”. They know your condition , and try to do things for yourself, if it is possible! Hope that living by yourself is fun! Don’t forget to relax as much as possible!..Beverly L.