Mottled like rash

I was wondering have any of you gotten a patch of mottled like skin for no reason? I got one yesterday that spread over my thigh and behind my knee . I do not have lupus but my mother does. She also has ra. I have horrible joints, neuropathy, numbness and hemochromatosis. The doctors are confused about what’s going on with me . But this is my first time having a true odd skin issue and thought who better to ask than people with lupus. My mom is 58 and just got diagnosed about a year ago.

It usually covers a larger area but look up livedo reticularis to see if that is what it looks like- it is a symptom of autoimmune disorders usually involving the blood system. I have APS and hemolytic anemia and get this when I am flaring

My daughter gets this and she has SLE and Vascullitis. She is treated with Methotrexate (sp?) for this.

Hi Stephanie,

I've got DLE bad but not had a mottled rash where your on about....have Doctor's run tests on you yet...as Lupus can be inherited, as i inherited from birth from my parent/s.

It sounds to me like you may have an autoimmune disease and watch to see how long the rash lasts for, as a flare if it is one can go from 2 days to usually 2wks.

The link below may help you regarding hemochromatosis which is an inherited condition also and also linked with SLE/ Lupus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001368/

http://www.lef.org/protocols/immune_connective_joint/lupus_01.htm

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

It does seem to look like livedo reticularis although red not purple . I looked at pictures on web . I have been tested for autoimmune stuff and every thing this far negative . But so we’re my moms tests til she was 58! Thank you all for your input . Guess I will be making a doctors appointment

Tez_20 said:

Hi Stephanie,

I’ve got DLE bad but not had a mottled rash where your on about…have Doctor’s run tests on you yet…as Lupus can be inherited, as i inherited from birth from my parent/s.

It sounds to me like you may have an autoimmune disease and watch to see how long the rash lasts for, as a flare if it is one can go from 2 days to usually 2wks.

The link below may help you regarding hemochromatosis which is an inherited condition also and also linked with SLE/ Lupus.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

At my age I'm not easily shocked poobie, but you managed to. I looked at the pictures of livedo reticularis. I've had lightly mottled skin on my legs for as long as I can remember. After surgery, an area on my thigh turned a bright mottled red and still is two years later. It looks exactly like the pictures! My Ortho told me it was deep vein variscose. I know better now! Thank you poobie!

Hi Stephanie,

Alot of tests which are done particulary for Lupus can come back normal but they still does'nt mean to say you have'nt got lupus or any autoimmune disease showing symptoms can be even for treatment and if you are Lupus related it fluctuated with the blood and can give off flse reading's also.

I took 6mths for my megolablastic anaemia to show up but all other tests came in positive and high on some...if your not under a Dermo i'd definitely try seeing one and if it comes to it biopsy's can soon tell what it is.

Love Terri xxx

Stephanie said:

It does seem to look like livedo reticularis although red not purple . I looked at pictures on web . I have been tested for autoimmune stuff and every thing this far negative . But so we're my moms tests til she was 58! Thank you all for your input . Guess I will be making a doctors appointment

Tez_20 said:

Hi Stephanie,

I've got DLE bad but not had a mottled rash where your on about....have Doctor's run tests on you yet...as Lupus can be inherited, as i inherited from birth from my parent/s.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

I have had that as well! Especially when I’m cold or having a flare. I always just thought it was a weird thing, not anything to do with Lupus or a separate issue! I guess I’ll have to bring it up with the doc next time I go…
Thank you for bringing that up!

Hay Stephanie, stay on top of this sitation, because i had a lot of tests ran before they finally said that i had LUPUS !!! Lupus it's a strong disease , it's so hard for them tell because LUPUS mimic other dieases and the syptoms . The doctors says it takes time to get a true diagnoise along with many tests. And my doctors say that lupus is something that comes from your family bloodline. I have SLE and RA , which really (at times painful - depending on the weather ) . Here in Georgia, when it rain , am in the bed on the heating pad , but for the last couple of weeks it has been so hot -i cant deal with the sweating , going outside is not something that i do unless i have to, the sun burns my skin and have red marks on me. Anyway stay on top of your health and go to the doctors. Take care and talk with you later.....Beverly L.

Hi Stephanie,

"Beverly" is correct in what she's saying about mimicing...i was being treated for ringworm all over my body for weeks and it turned out to be psoriasis mimicing it, the i thought i had tennis elbow bad in the right elbow that went on for over a year...it was only the pain from the lupus lodging there..i could hardly raise my arm. xxx

Oh my GOD !!! it's funny how we all suffer from LUPUS . My arms hurt somedays so bad i want to cut them off from the neck !!! To raise them on those days , i have to have someone around to help me . Oh boy !!! if i could give the pain to a dead man , i would ...LOL But of course i can't , so dealing with it is what i do . Pain , Pain , Pain , i want it to leave and never comeback NEVER, NEVER , and take LUPUS with you ....Beverly L.

It took many years to diagnose my daughter's Lupus. She had mottled skin after she had Bacterial Meningitis. She had skin biopsies at Mayo Clinic in Florida and Rochester, MN. It was Dr. Piddlekow at Mayo Clinic in Rochester that finally diagnosed her. I read that it takes 8-9 years to diagnose Lupus. She's in a drug induced remission and it's great to see her live life and function better now. Good luck.....keep the faith!

Oh Beverly,

I feel for you dearly my friend...as the pain is so hurtful at times and at the moment i could chop my legs off.

All my love dear friend Terri xxx

Beverly L. said:

Oh my GOD !!! it's funny how we all suffer from LUPUS . My arms hurt somedays so bad i want to cut them off from the neck !!! To raise them on those days , i have to have someone around to help me . Oh boy !!! if i could give the pain to a dead man , i would ...LOL But of course i can't , so dealing with it is what i do . Pain , Pain , Pain , i want it to leave and never comeback NEVER, NEVER , and take LUPUS with you ....Beverly L.