Falling and stumbling around ):

I have started falling alot! Does anyone have insight into why i would be doing this. Also i keep stumbling alot. Or i will go to start walking an its like i get confused an my feet dont move in the right direction as i want them too. I know its weird! Seems like my brain and my legs an feet cant get on the same page. Also my hands an arms cant get right with my brain either. Thanks (:

Lupus can affect the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves… Talk to your doctor and see if you should see a neurologist. Sudden changes might come from strokes, which are also increased risk for lupies (in particular if you have anti-phospholipid antibodies.) Definitely bring a list of your symptoms and concerns to your doctor! Good luck, and in the mean time, be careful not to hurt yourself! Take care :slight_smile:

hi i have been stumbling and falling for over the past 7 years i went to see neurologist as i have antiphospholiipid antibodies aswell and was told my peripheral nerves were damaged theres nothing they can do ounce that happens i have been told my body is dying now all my test results are poor have your thyroid results changed as i got hyper para thyroidism due to lupus you have to stay strong and try and cope with it all some days i dont want to get out of bed just no energy do you ever shake as if you are starving and your stomach goes into funny feelings i get this often and its annoying im not diabetic so not sure what it can be my weight is a problem to ive put on so much but dont eat alot can you relate to this in anyway good luck with everything stay strong x

I can relate to both of you. I bump into walls often and have constant bruises on my arms and feet. My rheumy is sending me to a neurologist. I also have numbness by my calves and weird electrical shocks that I feel in my lower legs and down my spine. I know it’s weird but the Lupus can affect anything in your body so you need to see a Neurologist. Sometimes the dizziness is your ear and they give you medicine to fix it. Just be sure to let your doctor know even though sometimes the symptoms seem so strange they are embarrassing.

I pray both of you get to feeling better soon!

I went through several months of stumbling, falling down, trouble getting up from a chair or off the floor, it was very scary and challenging. They sent me to a neurologist and my tests showed delayed responses, but after performing a nerve biopsy, they did not find any disease in the nerve. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy they put me on a high dose of prednisone (60 mg) to try to reverse the damage. It took some time, but I began to have feeling in my legs again and my weakness improved. I'm still nowhere as strong as I used to be and I still have numbness in my feet, but it is better. Since then, I slowly tapered off of the prednisone...I'm now down to 5mg/day, but if I go off, my pain skyrockets again so we're trying to stabalize at this dosage. I am feeling weaker again and am not sure if it is just lack of exercise or if things are changing again.

I recommend you talk with you doc as soon as you can...when this began, my rheumy wanted to hit it hard and fast hoping to stop the damage from becoming permanent. Wishing you all the best!

Faladora is absolutely correct. The Central Nervous System can be affected, not to mention that many of our medications can affect our sight. I nearly fell into the wall at the doctors office yesterday because I turned to quickly. Gotta remember not to do that :). Our brains don't always catch up to our old actions as quickly as they once did. You may find that you miss something you are reaching for, drop things you never used to, etc. Definitely make note of ANY changes you are seeing. I am actually ANA Neg which made it a little more difficult to find the cause. It ended up being several TIA's and then finally a stroke in July. It was only after that that my kidneys were tested and positive for the Lupus. By then 60% blockage in the carotid and subclavean arteries with no bad cholesterol. At 44.

Anything that is affecting balance needs to be addressed with your doc.

Hugs,

DeAnne

wow I have been falling a lot lately and my docs cant seem to find out wyh, they need to read this page :). I have been in the hospital several times because of the falls . My legs just give out like they have no strength left and down I go. I am also anemic and have low thyroid. so I havent had any energy to do anything in quite a while. I go to the hospital and get pumped full of iron and fed regularly, start to feel better. come home start doing my "chores" (cooking, cleaning, bills, balancing the checkbook, the groceries etc) and I am right back where I was before they got me fixed up. My next step is a neuro . I am also bleeding alot from my new anti-coagulant xeralto so that isnt helping the situation. I feel so overwhelmed. I have no vit d or potassium, or b-12 in my system and making a meal is just too much of an effort I have lost 60 pounds since January. The methotrexate they have me on makes me sick all the time . Any suggestions guys?

also bleeding alot

Hello Monique,

Every involvement is to do with the central nervous system so coordination to the brain can be affected also...i have my knee's buckle on me and sometimes i sway...my hubby as said many a time it looks like i'm drunk.

I've just been double checking on this and it definitely is a neuro problem which becomes involved with Lupus.

The link below you may find interesting besides other members :)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php

hi Monique, i fall and stumble too depending how bad i am, some times i am covered in bruises and i don't quite remember how i got them :(

Elaine do you suffer from foggyness of the brain like we do?...being as you can't remember when you fall.

miasmall said:

hi Monique, i fall and stumble too depending how bad i am, some times i am covered in bruises and i don't quite remember how i got them :(

yes, but some of it its from my brain injury, some is from my CFS.

Tez_20 said:

Elaine do you suffer from foggyness of the brain like we do?...being as you can't remember when you fall.

miasmall said:

Well at least you know how we suffer where foggyness is concerned but Lupus is classed as the hidden disease, so many members are fobbed off by family and loved ones through it.

miasmall said:

Tez_20 said:

miasmall said:

yes very similar :)

Tez_20 said:

Well at least you know how we suffer where foggyness is concerned but Lupus is classed as the hidden disease, so many members are fobbed off by family and loved ones through it.

miasmall said:

Tez_20 said:

miasmall said:

Christ knows how i keep going half the time with brain damage then neuro involvement besides nerve damage and the brain fog ontop...it's all so flustrating tearing hair emoticon

miasmall said:

yes very similar :)

Tez_20 said:

miasmall said:

Tez_20 said:

miasmall said:

Faladora,

You are always a wonderful source of good information. Thanks so much.

XOXO,

DeAnne

Faladora said:

Lupus can affect the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves... Talk to your doctor and see if you should see a neurologist. Sudden changes might come from strokes, which are also increased risk for lupies (in particular if you have anti-phospholipid antibodies.) Definitely bring a list of your symptoms and concerns to your doctor! Good luck, and in the mean time, be careful not to hurt yourself! Take care :)

Again Terri,

Great info.

Perhaps we should start a page that shares website articles. What do you think?

As always,

XOXO,

DeAnne

Tez_20 said:

Hello Monique,

Every involvement is to do with the central nervous system so coordination to the brain can be affected also...i have my knee's buckle on me and sometimes i sway...my hubby as said many a time it looks like i'm drunk.

I've just been double checking on this and it definitely is a neuro problem which becomes involved with Lupus.

The link below you may find interesting besides other members :)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php

Hi DeAnne,

It looks like it mate and christ it would be one hell of a page as well...thanks mate for the complement but i just like to make sure so it puts members in the right direction besides advice being given.

Love & kisses Terri xxx