Cant Sleep in Pain

I can’t sleep I’m in so much pain. My right leg is hurting so bad I can’t put any pressure on my right leg. It starts in my hip n down the back of my leg to my knee. It almost feels like bone on bone in my hip. Does anyone ever experience these problems?

I am so sorry that this is happening to you!!! I have never had this problem before, but I have been sleepless many many nights because of pain. I know how missirable that is. Not only cant u sleep but the pain weares u out even more so u are twice as tired and u are in pain... I will pray for you!

Thank you so much. Hope you n your family have a wonderful Holiday.

I suffer from hip pain that goes down my leg muscles and it affects my knee and my ankle, my doctor sent me to have a bone density test done. If you take predinose for a long period of time, it can affect your bones. Mention that to your doctor when you go, just to be sure. I hope you feel better. Hugs!!1

Thank you so much. I will ask my Dr for the Bone Density test. I have been on Prednisone for a really long time. What happen when u went for the test? The pain is so unbearable I can’t lay in my bed. The only way it takes the pressure off is if I’m sitting up with my legs in a sitting position. So I’m up all night. The bone density test is to see if u have osteoporosis?

Hi there Beanzie, i think i have sent you a message before, i do sympathise, and understand too. If i do manage to get off to sleep, i end up getting up roughly every hour, as i get so uncomfortable with the pain. When the pain is that bad it is hard to sleep anyway. I either get on my laptop which i have on my bedside table, or try to read. But i do know it is hard to concentrate when we are in so much pain. I sometimes just end up laying in bed staring at the television until the pain killers ease things abit, but it comes back with avengence, i get pain all over but mainly in my arms and legs. The other morning the muscle in the top of my arm was killing me, it felt like it was numb in one way, but in agony in another. My first thought was i hope this isnt a sign of a heart attack, but i didnt have chest pains so i reassured myself that it wasnt that, but when we are in so much pain there isnt alot we can do when it gets to a point of no return so to speak, we just have to ride it through dont we? I do feel for you and anyone else who is in this situation, as i myself know what it feels like. There have been times in the past when i have had my arms down the side of me in bed and ending up thumping the mattress in frustration, shame it doesnt help though. My husband asks me if there is anything he can do for me, bless him. I joke with him sometimes and say, "Can you just nip out and get me a new body?", he says he would if he could. Anyway take care, i am thinking of you, stay strong, look after yourself, love and hug Astrid40xoxo

Yeah it is to check for osteoporosis. It is simple, you don't even have to get undressed. Its a huge machine that scans a image of your body to check to see if you are losing any bone density. Its easy and painless, but do get it done. I can't wait to get my results next year. Good luck!!!

Beanzie said:

Thank you so much. I will ask my Dr for the Bone Density test. I have been on Prednisone for a really long time. What happen when u went for the test? The pain is so unbearable I can't lay in my bed. The only way it takes the pressure off is if I'm sitting up with my legs in a sitting position. So I'm up all night. The bone density test is to see if u have ?

Hi Beanzie, Talking of the bone density scan, it is easy to have done, they dont pull you about or anything. We are supposed to have them every couple of years or so, with having been taking the steroids, but i know some doctors do forget to put you in for one sometimes. Do you take anything for you bones, like the calcium and Vitamen D, i take something called Adcal and Vitamen D, plus other calcium supplements. I was also having a Vitamen D injection, as i have malabsorption so my body doesnt retain any nutrients from my food anymore. I got the malabsorption about three years ago, they were looking at my blood tests and wondering why certain things were low, and so they sent me for a endoscopy, horrible things they are, anyway thats when they found out, so i have to have triple any supplement i have to take, but mainly i have the jabs now, as even when i have taken three folic acid tablets it still shows up a low reading. I apparently have got malnutrition, it sounds so funny with someone like me and being overweight. Malnutrition obviously isnt about size, it about what nutrition you do actually take in, thats why its important for me to have the bone density scan as well as the steroids i take and have injections of. So yes, ask you doctor for one. anyway bye for now, take care, have a good christmas, love and hugs Astrid40xoxo

Yes i go thru this but with my left leg and the vein in back of my knee swells up. It feels like my bones are real cold.I lay in the bath tub with as much hot water that I can tolerate to try to ease some of the pain away. I take pain pills but they make me itch and keep me awake all night.

Hi Rachel, you and i are quite similar in a lot of ways with the leg thing, we have had a similar conversation before, its a killer when we are awake with pain anyway. I get up roughly every hour to hour and a half being uncomfortable. I was up about 3.30am this morning and its now 5.20am and still no relief, so i thought i will go to my doctors appointment that i have had booked for a while now, and later try and catch up abit with the sleep, sometimes we have to do that. We dont get a choice. I also use a hot water bottle to ease pain, i have a tens machine too. My shoulders are playing up at the moment too, it is really annoying and frustrating when we cant get comfortable in bed. It makes everything harder for during the day, especially for those of you that have children to look after. Anyway i wont go on anymore, but i will put a prayer in for everyone today, i do usually anyway. So take care, look after yourself, love and hugs Astrid40xoxox

Hi Beanzie, yes i've been haveing this same problem, and the doctor say's, " that am not walking enough ". What kind of response is that ???? Then i tell him , "NO it's my hip when i do walk " , what should i do ??? So he send me to take X-rays and that comes back nagative.. I really don't know what to think anymore about this , so i've been placeing a pillow between my legs just to sleep at nite along with the heating pad , it works sometimes but the pain it's about to make me loose my mind. So i guess we have to deal with the pain and thougths of this is part of the LUPUIS stuff???!!!! Hope that you get some relief soon....Beverly L.

Wow I can see I’m not alone when I comes to the pain in the hip. Rachel thank u for the advise. I will def try the hot bath. Thank you Beverly I’m sorry your going through this too with your hip. I am still having a prob with mine. Its to the point I really can’t walk. I don’t know what to do cause now my 10 year old daughter has to go for a ultra sound of her Kidneys n Bladder cause she is having a hard time Urinating. So my stress level is high. I know this has a lot top do with why I’m in so much pain. Thank you everyone I really appreciate it.

Keep hope alive Beanzie, and good luck on your daughter's health issue, I hope she feels better, cause I know you have enough to deal with by havin Lupus. Many blessings, and many hugs xoxoxo

Hi Beverly L, I do understand what its like to be in pain when walking. Its not very encouraging to say to do more walking when something hurts when you walk on it, it makes you wonder at times whether these doctors know what they are doing, we have to trust what they say though dont we? But if i were you, i would take it easy. You know your own body and how you are feeling. Is there anyway you could get a second opinion. Was it the rhuematologist who said for you to walk more, or you own doctor. It depends whats up with your hip, doesnt it. Maybe the person you see isnt aware of how much you probably do already. I remember years back having really bad pain in both knees, and god it was painful. One doctor said it was my weight, i was only about 6kg over weight at the time, another said it was nothing. The third time i went back, they said i had really bad inflammation and gave me some steroid injections into the knees which helped. And this was all in the space of a couple of weeks, so sometimes i think they say things for you to try, and then expect us to go back if it doesnt work, i may be wrong but this hasnt been just once this has happened. The trouble is with people like you and me, we are quite complex, so they look for the easiest thing to help first. If you arent happy then go back, say you have tried walking more, and it hurts more etc, You should be given an explanation why they say to walk more too, and then maybe if thats what has to be done, you would be able to understand it, but it doesnt sound right, does it? Anyway friend, take care, please go back in a while and tell them how you are feeling, look after yourself, love and hugs Astridxoxoxox PS Just wanted to add you are doing all the right things with the pillow etc, well done keep strong xoxox

Beverly L. said:

Hi Beanzie, yes i've been haveing this same problem, and the doctor say's, " that am not walking enough ". What kind of response is that ???? Then i tell him , "NO it's my hip when i do walk " , what should i do ??? So he send me to take X-rays and that comes back nagative.. I really don't know what to think anymore about this , so i've been placeing a pillow between my legs just to sleep at nite along with the heating pad , it works sometimes but the pain it's about to make me loose my mind. So i guess we have to deal with the pain and thougths of this is part of the LUPUIS stuff???!!!! Hope that you get some relief soon....Beverly L.

Hi Beverly again, sorry i didnt mention about your daughter, you must be worried sick, and this wont help the Lupus either as you are well aware. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck with the ultra sound. And with your health too. I will pray that you get through this, and that whats wrong with your daughter is nothing serious, i am thinking of you, take care, love and hugs Astrid40xoxox

Beanzie said:

Wow I can see I'm not alone when I comes to the pain in the hip. Rachel thank u for the advise. I will def try the hot bath. Thank you Beverly I'm sorry your going through this too with your hip. I am still having a prob with mine. Its to the point I really can't walk. I don't know what to do cause now my 10 year old daughter has to go for a ultra sound of her Kidneys n Bladder cause she is having a hard time Urinating. So my stress level is high. I know this has a lot top do with why I'm in so much pain. Thank you everyone I really appreciate it.

Hi there to all of you there that suffer with hip or knee pain, i also put a pillow between my legs too, another thing i have been doing is propping the mattress at the end to help with circulation, i have vasculitis. And i prop my head up too with a couple of extra pillows, this probably sounds uncomfortable, but once you get it how you want it, it isnt and it does help. Its a matter of playing around with things and making yourself the most comfortable. Hot water bottles are great too. And sometimes T.E.N.S machines help depeding on how severe the pain gets. I have used a T.E.N.S machine when the pain starts up, it has several types of pain relief for different areas, and different levels. I expect everyone has heard of them. Sometimes some doctors surgeries will loan them out on trial to patients who suffer pain, so that they can test them and makes sure it works for them before purchasing one. They also have gone down alot in price now, its just an idea, anyway everyone take care, love and hugs Astrid40xoxo

Thank you so much for all the support. It means so much. I know my daughter will be fine. So far they didn’t see anything on the Ultra sound but the Dr has to read it. I will keep u updated. Thanks again. Hugs xoxoxo

Hi Beanize, It's going to be okay - Find the FAITH in your heart , and relax . I've noticed that when there is pressure / stress my hip goes CRAZIE . Hope that everything is going okay with your daughter . Hope that your pain gets better... Beverly L.

Beanzie said:

Wow I can see I'm not alone when I comes to the pain in the hip. Rachel thank u for the advise. I will def try the hot bath. Thank you Beverly I'm sorry your going through this too with your hip. I am still having a prob with mine. Its to the point I really can't walk. I don't know what to do cause now my 10 year old daughter has to go for a ultra sound of her Kidneys n Bladder cause she is having a hard time Urinating. So my stress level is high. I know this has a lot top do with why I'm in so much pain. Thank you everyone I really appreciate it.

Hey Beanzie, just thinking about your daughter, and how she is doing? And how is your hip?

Thank you so much Beverly, My daughter is doing ok thank you. All her tests came back normal thank god. My hip is still acting up. I know I just have to take it one day at a time. Thank you so much for the concern. How r u feeling? Hope your doing ok.