Yucky tongue

Does anyone know the feeling of cotton or something fuzzy on your tongue? My tongue feels like something is growing on it, yet when I look at it, there's nothing there except a white coating. I feel like scraping my tongue. I drink plenty and I use a dry mouth rinse but I still can't get rid of this feeling. I hate it!

maybe thrush (yeast)? you could try eating yogurt, and see if it helps. 1 of my children had thrush as an infant, and her tongue had the white coating. I get mouth sores, so know you have to be uncomfortable, hope you are feeling better soon.

thrush definately... scrape your tongue when you clean your teeth and use antibacterial mouthwash and eat pro biotic yougurt it should go within a few days... i brush my tongue every time i brush my teeth to keep it at bay because i always get thrush... if it doesnt go then just go get anti fungals from the pharmacist

Hello nates tired mom,

You need to scrap your tongue as "ohsoperplexed & cayleigh" have given you good advice...this can be candida (yeast infection) thrush, lesion and having probiotic's daily will help to prevent this.

Dental check ups are very important and i suggest seeing your doctor as you may need antibiotic's or Canesten to help remove it...as it does need sorting ASAP.

Terri :)

thanks everybody, I'm going to try the yogurts first. I do brush my tongue along with my teeth. I've always had issues with my tongue. I have a scalloped one as well.

i have that too, dry mouth, i can scrape it off it is so gross, i have tried the yogurt didnt help but i have a mouth rinse, otc, think is made by colgate that is for sores in mouth it helps out on the tongue issue so i have found

Have had it a long time. My pulmonalogist told me that I had oral thrush. Will look for the mouth wash. When I got home, I looked at the back of my mouth and it was actually green. Have been brushing, flossing and scraping.

Hey, Everybody, I have that white coating on my tongue, also. When I try to clean it, I gag and then throw up. It's only been for like a week, bit, it is gross. I'll try yogurt. Thanks and I everyone is feeling well today. XX Lucinda

Hi, my rheumatologist gave me a prescription for an antifungal. It is in the form of a lozenge and it dissolves in your mouth. They are not bad. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

wendy xx

Do you have thyroid problems?

I have white tongue too. I take supplement called Azo Yeast found in w-mart feminine department. it also helps against regular yeast infections too, especially in summer. I do not scrape my tongue as have strong gag reflex. I do just use regular side of toothbrush and just brush my tongue gently. yogurt is also very helpful for both types of these infections. so eat yogurt n softly brush tongue. it should help a lot. Good luck.
Sheri

I just called my pulmonalogist and he is off today. Want to try an anti-fungal. I just read that it can spread to other parts of your mouth and it already has!

Do you have thyroid problems?

I've been checked for hypothyroidism, but came back negative.

Thrush goes with auto-immune problems I just found out. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and had to get the dosage higher lately. Have other auto-immunes too. Sometimes, it seems like my body is beating up on me!

nates's Tired Mom, did you have the full panel? It is important to have it and you might want to ask them if they could check for antibodies too.

i suggest a tongue scraper rather than the toothbrush. they are not expensive.
I got thrush when I was on prednisone and chemo. I also had athlete's foot, related (fungal).

My candida was so bad i went on the candida diet and had a round or 2 of nystatin.

Hard on the liver, so don't want to take it long or often. Priobiotics are a great idea. you get benefits of yogurt, but more probiotics and less sugar.

nates tired mom said:

thanks everybody, I'm going to try the yogurts first. I do brush my tongue along with my teeth. I've always had issues with my tongue. I have a scalloped one as well.

Duh on me! I assumed everyone would know you eat a tablespoon or two of active culture PLAIN yogurt, no added sugar or fruit, several times a day.

A decent health food store will have in a cold case the good probiotic capsules. How often you take those would depend on the strength. This helps not only your mouth, but entire digestive system. My kids caught some terrible stomach bug, weeks of the runs, and this was the only thing that got them back to a normal balance. 2 days and done.

Thrush or other fungal infections can happen any time you take an antibiotic or any kind of chemo. They kill off the good stuff. Probiotic foods, fermented foods, the capsules, all will help restore the balance.

I just finished a round of prednisone. I didn't know that thrush could happen because of being on steroids. Yet another reason to hate them!

Carla Ulbrich said:

i suggest a tongue scraper rather than the toothbrush. they are not expensive.
I got thrush when I was on prednisone and chemo. I also had athlete's foot, related (fungal).

My candida was so bad i went on the candida diet and had a round or 2 of nystatin.

Hard on the liver, so don't want to take it long or often. Priobiotics are a great idea. you get benefits of yogurt, but more probiotics and less sugar.

nates tired mom said:

Biotene mouth wash & spray is good for a dry mouth. I take probiotics daily it helps. I think mine is a side effect of medication. An Antifungal might also relieve oral thrush.

Hi Nate, sorry to hear that you are going through this problem, but due to the meds., that you are taking , this is probblie a reaction. Which is called thrash, something like a baby has on their tongue. You need to ask your doctor to give a antibiotic to solve this or you can eat some pineapples, they are very strong in acid and cut some of thrash , but really ask the doctor . Oh listerine also may work!!! Hope that things work out for you…Beverly L.

antibiotics, chemo, prednisone, excess sugar intake, lack of fermented foods (we don't really eat fermented foods in the US) - all cause yeast overgrowth.