Weight Gain

Good Morning hope everyone is doing well. Just had a question about weight gain. I started in Feb on 200mg Plaquenil and gained weight and now my Dr moved me up to 400mg and I've gained again. Not sure if it's med/or lack of exercise or all of the above. Ive never been a person to exercise other than yard work. I packed on a lot of weight when my daddy died 7 years ago, so I really can't afford to gain any more. I'm starting to realize there's never gonna be a normal ME again..... that makes me sad....

Good Morning Michelle,

I have been gaining weight too. I was able to exercise when I was much younger; however, the past five years I have not. I have consistently been gaining since. I believe for my self it does have a lot to do with inactivity. I was in so much pain I did not want to move.

Then I became embarrassed by all of the issues that were surfacing. I was trying and desiring to get better, but it was not happening. It seemed everyone had their input readily available; however, it was more difficult with finding the support I needed to push on. This led to more isolation and more inactivity..... compounding the issue.

Now, I am at my all time max weight. I am accepting the difference. As I work with my doctor, I am starting to get out a little more at a time. I have a small dog which requires walking and getting outside. This helps my motivation go out and walk.

I have to return to work at this time. Good luck and best wishes to you.........

Hi Michelle. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. 400mg/day seems to be the usual dose for lupus pts. 200mg 2x day. One thing i'd ask about, if it were me, would be looking at something like Wellbutrin. Lots of rheums will rx an SSRI/anti anxiety/anti depressant along with med regimen. THe nice thing about Wellbutrin is that it has shown some assistance with pain relief, and because it is somewhat "activating", lupus pts sometimes feel more energy. One of the side effects of Wellbutrin is weight loss. I'm not a doctor, but in my research, and my own experiences with these meds, and talks with my rheumatologist and other doctors and friends, this is some of the info that i have found out. Doesn't hurt to ask. Besides, having lupus sucks. And the effects on the emotions and brain in general can make it harder to deal with.

It sounds like you're sort of new to this diagnosis if the doc is just tweaking the plaquenil now. One thing i can say is that as time goes on, your body will start to feel like your own again (not every day, and it will surprise you with all sorts of lupus weirdness), but there will come a day where when you first open your eyes, it is not the first thing you think of, or are forced to thing of. That varies, but when you get a day or two like that, it makes some of the others a bit easier to tolerate. When you have the experiences and know "i've been here before, i've gotten through this part before", (at least for myself), i have found it less terrifying.

Hang in there. Don't be so hard on yourself. sheesh, look at all you're going through. Of course I can relate, and continue to grieve some of my own losses of myself and who I was. But there are other things that eventually emerge or that I have found out or developed (from a good perspective) and I try to hold onto that.

As a fellow woman, and a fellow woman with lupus--this is my message; Stop it. It isn't your fault and you're doing the best you can. If this were a friend telling you the same thing, I bet you would treat her with gentleness and loving hope.

It does suck. But this part will pass. Again, i'm no doctor, and never would i want to sound preachy, but with the grief of your dad's passing, the grief of being told your body is fighting itself, and all else, why not ask for some help with something that might not only make that a little easier, but might also have several side effect benefits.

my thoughts are with you. hang in there girl.

hugs

Hi Michelle,

I have committed myself to the fact that this is now my new normal. But even though medications can help us gain weight, we always have something to do on our end. I also am not a big fan of exercising, but I do like to hike, walk, and even take a dip or two in the pool none on a regular basis. I have been using intermittent fasting as part of my daily health regime. I eat only 8 hours a day and I have cut my diet into the just the basics. If we only eat a clean diet that is free from GMOs and processed foods we are more able to stave off the weight gain and can possibly lose weight. Something I have seen in myself and those who participate in my life coaching strategies. Just something to think about.

Hi Michelle,

I think the best thing I did for myself was accept that the weight gain was a necessary consequence of being on chronic meds. I spent some time mourning my previous body, then held a mental funeral and said farewell. I choose to focus on healthy options, some light walking and trying to keep active on the days where I have more energy . These are rare so I take advantage when it happens. I found stores stocking my size, and my kind of fashion and live from there.

Ive recently wanted to give "banting" a go. Its a new kind of diet lifestyle. If you are keen, google Tim Noakes Banting.

Good luck. Wishing you health and happiness.

I was on plaquenil. For 20 years didn't. Have problem with weight gain

I started on plaquenil 6 months ago, I also have had weight gain. It’s frustrating, I feel hungry all the time. I am also a shift worker which doesn’t help. I also seem to have constant pain in my legs, is that normal for lupus?

Thank you all for you kind words and encouragement. Just when I think I’ve hit rock bottom you all are there to push me along. Thank You! The support and love I feel from this group makes me feel like I’m not alone, and unfortunately there are many of us out there suffering with the same thing day to day. I will one day realize that this is the new normal life but right now I keep thinking its a bad dream and tomorrow is a new day.

Is it an ache feeling? My joints hurt like my hips and knees so it makes my legs feel achey

Bailey said:

I started on plaquenil 6 months ago, I also have had weight gain. It’s frustrating, I feel hungry all the time. I am also a shift worker which doesn’t help. I also seem to have constant pain in my legs, is that normal for lupus?

Hi there, just saw info above & wanted to comment. I have hip, knee & ankle pain almost constantly. Hips hurt & feel weak at the same time?! My thighs/ calves constantly tingle. Feels like am gradually losing ability to walk. Also, started plaqunel in +/- March & have gained 30#s. Strange events for me, but interesting to see others that have same symptoms.