Question from Newby

I have a question for the members, do any of you have as much trouble as I do with sweating? I can't remember when I last went to church with a dry head. It doesn't take much to get me sweating like I've been working in the heat all day. Just standing and washing the dishes will bring torrents of sweat down my face. It's not like hot flashes as I've done that already, years ago. This just started a few years ago and it's driving me crazy. My Rheumy thinks I have Lupus but won't find out for sure for a couple of weeks even though I have so many of the signs including a positive ANA, MGUS white blood cell, butterfly rash over my face and multitudes of painful joints and headaches plus the constant lack of energy and more. I hadn't heard if the sweating can be linked to Lupus or not so this is why I'm posting here. Would love to hear your comments. I tried to post this earlier but it never showed up so if this gets posted twice, my apologies.

May God Bless each of you

Karen

Hello Karen,

I don't suffer with excessive sweating...i have hot sweats where i burn up but no what your losing and other members will answer in due course.

The sweating your having is called (hyperhidrosis) and the info i'm adding on it will help other members having it who are'nt sure also.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

(Symptoms of hyperhidrosis)

Profuse, ongoing, abnormal sweating (doctors call it hyperhidrosis)— more than the body needs to keep cool—can occur under two circumstances. In the first, called “primary hyperhidrosis,” the sweat glands are overstimulated by specific areas in the brain for no apparent reason. In other words, the sympathetic nervous system (part of the autonomic system) goes wacky. The other category is “secondary hyperhydrosis,” in which another well-defined disorder is responsible. The most common causes are:

• an overactive thyroid. (That’s the first thing to have checked.)
• any infection, especially one accompanied by fever.
• a malignancy, of which you may or may not be aware.
• obesity. Overweight people tend to sweat too much.
• menopause. The decline in estrogen production often results in hot flashes accompanied by sweating.
• diabetes. When not well controlled, sugar levels that are too high or too low can result in abnormal perspiration.
• abnormalities of the immune system. Some diseases, such as lupus, can cause excessive perspiration.

Treatment of hyperhidrosis depends on the cause. Obviously, the first step is to determine whether you have any of the secondary causes and then treat them.

In primary hyperhidrosis, for which there’s no apparent cause, treatment is directed at controlling the sweating. This can be done by medications, antiperspirants (prescription-strength, if necessary), Botox injections, iontophoresis and, when all else fails, an operation on the nerves of the sympathetic nervous system. The most common oral medications are:

• tranquilizers.
• anticholinergic drugs, of which there are many, belong to the atropine family and act on the nervous system to reduce symptoms. However, this medication is not free of side effects, especially in elderly people.
• NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as ibuprofen, often curb excessive sweating.
• calcium channel blockers (such as verapamil), normally used to control blood pressure.
• a drug called catapres (clonidine), also used to lower blood pressure.

One popular option is injections of botulinum toxin (Botox) directly into the sweat glands every few months, which can reduce gland activity. Botox and most other treatments are temporary, so those seeking a permanent solution may opt to have the sweat glands removed surgically.

Iontophoresis delivers a low electrical current to the areas that perspire most to disrupt sweat production. It is usually done while the skin is submerged in water. (Pregnant women or anyone with a pacemaker should not use this therapy.)

Sympathectomy, cutting the nerves that transmit the messages to the glands that trigger sweat, should be considered only as a last resort.

i have discussed this topic on the fibromylgia forum - it seems all us fibromyalgia patients have this and is a common occurence, i like you thought it was hormone related but each year when i have my yearly check - up my blood hormone levels are fine, i think it is fibro and i guess i just have learned to live with it, i can shower (cool shower) and get out and be soaking immediately-it is terrible, my whole life has changed due to this as far as being able to do outdoor activities and if i do these things i can be looking at 3 or more showers a day, thx, kel

also if u take cymbalta it causes severe sweating

Thanks Kel,

I do take Cymbalta but never knew it could cause this! I like the Cymbalta though as it's the only one that keeps me level headed and not in a depression. I've tried others that just did just the opposite, hence I was crying all the time for no reason sometimes. Not so with the Cymbalta but not sure which is worse, the crying or the sweating, I'm losing fluids either way. LOL

kel said:

i have discussed this topic on the fibromylgia forum - it seems all us fibromyalgia patients have this and is a common occurence, i like you thought it was hormone related but each year when i have my yearly check - up my blood hormone levels are fine, i think it is fibro and i guess i just have learned to live with it, i can shower (cool shower) and get out and be soaking immediately-it is terrible, my whole life has changed due to this as far as being able to do outdoor activities and if i do these things i can be looking at 3 or more showers a day, thx, kel

Thanks Tez!

I see Lupus is listed as a possibility for the sweating, also obesity which I don't think would cause sweating as easily as I do it although I know I need to lose weight. I will definitely ask my Rheumy about it when I see her.

Karen

Tez_20 said:

Hello Karen,

I don't suffer with excessive sweating...i have hot sweats where i burn up but no what your losing and other members will answer in due course.

The sweating your having is called (hyperhidrosis) and the info i'm adding on it will help other members having it who are'nt sure also.

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

Profuse, ongoing, abnormal sweating (doctors call it hyperhidrosis)— more than the body needs to keep cool—can occur under two circumstances. In the first, called “primary hyperhidrosis,” the sweat glands are overstimulated by specific areas in the brain for no apparent reason. In other words, the sympathetic nervous system (part of the autonomic system) goes wacky. The other category is “secondary hyperhydrosis,” in which another well-defined disorder is responsible. The most common causes are:

• menopause. The decline in estrogen production often results in hot flashes accompanied by sweating.
• diabetes. When not well controlled, sugar levels that are too high or too low can result in abnormal perspiration.
• abnormalities of the immune system. Some diseases, such as lupus, can cause excessive perspiration.

Treatment of hyperhidrosis depends on the cause. Obviously, the first step is to determine whether you have any of the secondary causes and then treat them.

In primary hyperhidrosis, for which there’s no apparent cause, treatment is directed at controlling the sweating. This can be done by medications, antiperspirants (prescription-strength, if necessary), Botox injections, iontophoresis and, when all else fails, an operation on the nerves of the sympathetic nervous system. The most common oral medications are:

• tranquilizers.
• anticholinergic drugs, of which there are many, belong to the atropine family and act on the nervous system to reduce symptoms. However, this medication is not free of side effects, especially in elderly people.
• NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as ibuprofen, often curb excessive sweating.
• calcium channel blockers (such as verapamil), normally used to control blood pressure.

One popular option is injections of botulinum toxin (Botox) directly into the sweat glands every few months, which can reduce gland activity. Botox and most other treatments are temporary, so those seeking a permanent solution may opt to have the sweat glands removed surgically.

Iontophoresis delivers a low electrical current to the areas that perspire most to disrupt sweat production. It is usually done while the skin is submerged in water. (Pregnant women or anyone with a pacemaker should not use this therapy.)

Sympathectomy, cutting the nerves that transmit the messages to the glands that trigger sweat, should be considered only as a last resort.

Hello Karen,

With symptoms like this it could be any issue causing it but if things come up like hyperhidrosis which i've mentioned it's still worth writing down and asking about.

Terri :)

angelwing said:

Thanks Tez!

I see Lupus is listed as a possibility for the sweating, also obesity which I don't think would cause sweating as easily as I do it although I know I need to lose weight. I will definitely ask my Rheumy about it when I see her.

Karen

Tez_20 said:

Hello Karen,

((Hugs Terri)) xxx

• tranquilizers.

this is how bad i sweat, and i am not obese, yet, i sleep in a silk gown year around, sleeveless my heat i always on very low-everybody complains-i tell them to bundle up. in the summer, like today was around 90 degrees my air stays on 70 and i dare anybody to touch it. i have a fan beside my bed, one in my bathroom but my own little personal fan hooked up to my make up mirror- my bath is attached to my bedroom so that door stays open with the exhaust fan going as well. i also have one of those little fans you can put water in that has a fan so you can spray yourself as well as have a cool fan blowing, you can normally only get those in the summer time therefore i have a back up one just in case. i also wear one of my husbands wet hankys around my neck, that really helps keep you cool !!

Hi Karen,

Yes, I am ALWAYS hot and sweating! I am only 28 too so it's obviously due to my Lupus and or medications. I always felt like I was the only one with this annoying symptom. It can be the dead of winter and just a walk around the block will cause me to sweat like crazy... and in the summer it's very embarrassing.

Emily

That's pretty bad kel! My problem is I don't really feel that hot when I sweat. My body and head can feel perfectly cool but I will sweat when I'm standing too long everytime or get excited about something. Heat does effect me a lot more too. I helped with a luncheon for a friend today at Ryan's in their conference room and it was really warm in there. By the time I left I was drenched and the others barely had a damp brow. I have to keep a paper towel with all the time to wipe my face. I've gone through hot flashes and this isn't it. I can cool down easily enough, as long as I'm not standing.

kel said:

this is how bad i sweat, and i am not obese, yet, i sleep in a silk gown year around, sleeveless my heat i always on very low-everybody complains-i tell them to bundle up. in the summer, like today was around 90 degrees my air stays on 70 and i dare anybody to touch it. i have a fan beside my bed, one in my bathroom but my own little personal fan hooked up to my make up mirror- my bath is attached to my bedroom so that door stays open with the exhaust fan going as well. i also have one of those little fans you can put water in that has a fan so you can spray yourself as well as have a cool fan blowing, you can normally only get those in the summer time therefore i have a back up one just in case. i also wear one of my husbands wet hankys around my neck, that really helps keep you cool !!

I sweat all the time and if the air aint aint on Im sweating. I sweat very quicky but the odd thing is that I dont sweat under my arms.

I'm the same way survivor. 90 per cent of the sweat comes from head. Makes it difficult to go anywhere with my hair looking nice. :0(

Mentioning vitamin D deficiency reminded of when I was put on mega doses of vitamin D due a major lack of vitamin D in my blood. At the time they didn't look into why it was so low. If they did they might have found out about the Lupus then. I'm lately developing small sores on my body that I have no clue why. I first notice a bad burning and tenderness on the side of one breast about the size of a raison. The sore was very painful and made the whole side of the breast so tender it felt like it had a mild burn on it. This lasted a couple weeks. The mark is still there however and will get tender from time to time. Today I noticed the same kind of place on the under side of my left arm. Right now it's not as bad as the other one and hopefully it won't get any worse. I worry about things like these since they discovered of trace of MGUS in my blood work. In reading up on this it could be related to a form of cancer in the blood or with an autoimmune syndrome. I'm praying for the latter if these are my main choices at this point. Never thought I would be praying for lupus! :)
Thanks for your respond!

Karen

Ann A. said:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-questions/vitamin-d/what-are-s...

Excessive sweating can also be a symptom of vitamin D deficiency, which is very common in people with lupus and other autoimmune conditions