Dry eyes - what do you use?

Short summary, on antibiotic for lungs, also pred inhaler and albuterol. House air quality bad, pollen, pet dander and dust, (ac went out few days) my eyes are giving me fits! Thought I had something in one, regular eye drops burned, now other eye feels gritty and uncomfortable too. Probably just irritation from combo of events. Trying to resist urge to rub.

For you eye issue experts, what can I grab over the counter to help my eyes? What would you recommend ? Yes, if not better in a few days, will be calling my eye doc. Due my yearly check up anyhow.

Thanks for the help. Hope everyone has a lovely day and some joy.

Perplexed

I use systane ultra. It's thicker than regular eye drops. At night I put in the stuff that is more like mineral oil, since you can't really see after you put it in. and I would use them even when you don't feel like you need to, just to keep them lubricated. I find that if I am going to be out side wearing close fitting sunglass or regular glasses help keep my eyes from getting so dry. It keeps the wind from getting in my eyes. I have gone on walks before without glasses and have barely been able to see by the time I go home.

I have the same problem with air quality in my house being bad. I have 3 dogs which means lots of dog hair and dander, plus filter issues, live across the street from 3 baseball fields which means lots of dirt blowing into my home through open windows, and I have allergies from pollen, weeds and trees. All of this can cause eye irritation, burning and dryness. I’ve tried several products like artificial tears (drops) sold over the counter (without preservatives), I tried the artificial gel which is for severe dry eyes and it irritated my eyes all the next day and left a film I had trouble getting rid of, and I tried antihistamine eye drops figuring maybe the dryness and irritation was from allergies. It worked the most. Now i don’t use anything at all. What i do now is keep the house as dust, dog hair and dander free as possible. This requires vacuuming, wiping down dust, and mopping the floors at least twice a week. No less. That should keep things in check. See if it makes a difference. Your eyes will let you know. I know it’s a pain and hard to muster the energy when you’re in pain and have no energy, so see if you can get someone to help you do these things just twice a week. I would take advantage when I noticed one of my kids wasn’t doing anything and ask them on the spot to help out. Now I hardly see them…

Sounds crazy but my doctor has me wash my eyes with baby shampoo and then I use Bausch and Lomb lubricant drops and also the new one for allergy and itching called Opcon A. So far so good! Good luck

My ophthalmologist has me using refresh optive advanced. It has worked wonders. My last appointment, my eye doc said the dryness of both eyes had improved significantly. I love it...no burning..doesn't make my eyes water...I actually enjoy using it as funny as that sounds. lol

Hi Perplexed,

Of course seeing a dr. is best; but in the meantime :-) ...

My doctors at UCLA have a good protocol:

- Place warm, wet washcloth on gop of both closed eyes for 10 minutes. I've heated a gel pack and put it inside cloth to keep it warm (feels good!) at least 2X a day

- Then use Syustane Balance Lubricant Eye Drops (Restorative Formula). (I use before bed cause I wake up really dry). I've also used the ointment at night to prevent waking so dry. That works really well, but then trying to use make-up in the morning is difficult.

- Also antihistamine drops like Zaditor OTC has been recommended, but I haven't used yet.

- Taking Omega 3 oils is supposed to help, too.

Hope this helps.

Allison

Hello,

I had extremely dry eyes. After years trying steroid drops, moisture drops, and allergy drops without relief, the doctor inserted tear duct plugs into the lower inside corner ducts of each eye. WOW...it worked! :)

At first my eyes were making too many tears, but that stopped after a couple weeks. I can't tell you how happy I am with this. It takes a minute, cost about $300 (without insurance), and off I went. :)

For red eyes, I found that otc Naphcon A (eye allergy relief) worked well.

Dear Perplexed,

Although AC may help get rid of pollen, etc., it also lowers humidity and makes eyes drier. That said, I've been there, and it can be miserable! I use Systane Ultra eye drops. They were recommended by my eye surgeon, and I really like them.

Hope this helps!

Julia

Hi Perplexed,

I am a Ophthalogy Tech...I have worked for some of the best Ophthalmolgists....and tried all the eyes drops money can buy. With having SLE, I also have SJogren's so a double whammy....third whammy ...I live in a really dry climate. I could not tolerate Systane, nor any of the other high priced drops....I take the gereric 1.99 tears works just fine for days and then generic minerial oil type drops for night and not every night ....also humidifiers in my home and office when I worked is a must.....

Hope this helps ...( Almost all the Dr.'s I worked for went to school at UCLA, they are the best....)

Bernice

I use Systane also...I've tried both ultra and balance and both are good. My doc recommended using them several times a day. It doesn't make it go away, but it helps. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, including brands and generics. You are great! After the heat let's up, heading to the store.

Have been too under the weather to clean much, so that isn't helpful. Where we are is really humid, and without AC, I wilt. No redness, neither eye bloodshot, but second eye is getting worse. I checked it in the mirror, and have a white slightly raised area that is in that inner corner, diameter about like a big pea. I have to roll my eye to the side to see it on the white of my eye, hubby can see it too. Calling eye doctor in the morning. Never had tiny black spots floating in my vision before, but do now.

Like the sands of the hourglass, so are the days of our eyes, I mean lives...

That last sentence is an inside joke I will share. I have been accused of simply sitting home eating bonbons and watching soap operas, by a family member. The slogan is from the longest running sopa opera, a friend told me to use it on him. Laughter is good for the soul.

ohsoperplexed said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, including brands and generics. You are great! After the heat let's up, heading to the store.

Have been too under the weather to clean much, so that isn't helpful. Where we are is really humid, and without AC, I wilt. No redness, neither eye bloodshot, but second eye is getting worse. I checked it in the mirror, and have a white slightly raised area that is in that inner corner, diameter about like a big pea. I have to roll my eye to the side to see it on the white of my eye, hubby can see it too. Calling eye doctor in the morning. Never had tiny black spots floating in my vision before, but do now.

Like the sands of the hourglass, so are the days of our eyes, I mean lives...

If your eyes are very dry, discuss punctal plugs with your opthomologist. I use bion tears drops which are individual vials and are preservative free which is important if you use eye drops regularly. There came a point where I was needing drops every 10 to 15 minutes. Then I had the plugs inserted which was quick and painless. They have been fantastic! I still use the drops now and again, but nowhere near as much.

My daughter's opthamologist recommended iDrop.

http://www.imedpharma.com/pharma/dry-eye-syndrome-des/i-drop

They seem to be helping her.

I just saw my eye doctor yesterday and he gave me samples for Systane Restorative drops and a prescription for Restasis. So, I haven't really used either long enough to have an opinion yet. I asked my doctor if he thought the problem with the dry eyes was Lupus related and he said he wasn't sure. It could be. (I also work most of the day on a computer screen, which could at least partially be the culprit.) My doc said there are some over the counter lubricant drops which are much less expensive and may help some. He didn't give me name brands for any, though. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hi!, having dry eyes can come from the meds. You might need to go to the doctor before then if this continue. I experienced this , and was having blurred vision for a couple of days-that was a very bad situation! When I finally went o see the doctor she put some drops of some medicine and I screamed so bad, she could not complete the examine-so I had to reschedule, and hope that it don’t be as bad as the first time, even though that was my first Ever having my eyes checked since High school, I never had problems with my eyes. Hope everything turn out good for you…Beverly L.

My Rhuemy says NO allergy eye drops or regular Visine type drops. Moisturizing gel drops you use at night. I have Sjogren's which keep my eyes dry. The ones I use come in a blue box, but for the life of me my brain isn't quite working. They come in separate tubes so they are in my purse, car, dresser, etc...Refresh, that's them.

I try NOT to dust (I know it seems counterproductive) but my husband does it when I am not in the house. We have a couple of air purifiers that are hard to keep clean but are totally worth it in combo with a medium size humidifier by my bed. While no dogs are truly hypo-allergenic our two are Lhasa mixes and there is little to no dander or hair. It's very possible because we make sure they get washed every week or two and take them to the groomers at least once a month. It means that I only have to do a breathing treatment once or twice a month instead of daily.

These are just suggestions, but sometimes it is worth it to pay someone to do some of the dirtier jobs around the house like dusting, sweeping and vacuuming. Things that can aggravate your conditions.

Hope you find helpful suggestions...looks like you already have a lot :)

Best,

DeAnne

DeAnne your husband sounds great. I can’t get anyone to help me with our dust, so if I don’t do it, it won’t get done. For a while there I couldn’t “dust” because I was too sick. When speaking of dusting I don’t mean “dry” dusting. People with allergies, asthma or breathing difficulties should NEVER “dry” dust. All that does is make the dust fly around and redistribute it elsewhere. I use a wet rag to wipe down the dust. Wet, ring out, wipe, rinse, repeat. I also bought one of those magnetic dusters that supposed to attract the dry dust when you wipe it. It works, is faster than using a damp rag, but you have to shake it off outside frequently and the dust just flies all around you. I sometimes wear a surgical mask when cleaning the dust, vacuuming or emptying out the vacuum cleaner cup. This helps tremendously. Of course what would help the most is if someone else would do it, but that’s not gonna happen in my house. If I don’t do it it won’t get done. I was so sick for a few years that I just couldn’t wipe down the dust or vacuum. That made things even worse for my health. I used to have an allergy to ragweed only in the fall, but then developed year round allergies. Now I have to take medication all year long for my allergies. I think being exposed to indoor allergens (the dust, dog hair and dander) caused this. What can you do when you have no help, you can’t do it yourself, and you can’t afford to pay someone else to do it? If I could turn back time I would have asked a relative to come over and help me during my worst.

An air purifier. I want to invest in one of those so badly. We can’t afford it right now. That’s one of the things on my wish list. I want to get the “Rainbow” air cleaner. No filters to clean. It just sucks the dust out of the air into the container of water, then you pour it out and add fresh water. So simple, yet so expensive! It costs about $1000. My sisters have them and the air in their houses smells so light and fresh despite each having 2 dogs. They’ve had their Rainbows for over 20 years. They are definitely durable.

whathappensinvegas said:

I try NOT to dust (I know it seems counterproductive) but my husband does it when I am not in the house. We have a couple of air purifiers that are hard to keep clean but are totally worth it in combo with a medium size humidifier by my bed. While no dogs are truly hypo-allergenic our two are Lhasa mixes and there is little to no dander or hair.

These are just suggestions, but sometimes it is worth it to pay someone to do some of the dirtier jobs around the house like dusting, sweeping and vacuuming. Things that can aggravate your conditions.

Hope you find helpful suggestions…looks like you already have a lot :slight_smile:

Best,

DeAnne

Dry eyes. I take 40mg of prednisone along other medication which in turn makes me have very dry eye. There are different things you can do. You can get OTC drops but ONLY PRESERVATIVE FREE nothing else. Those will work longer and not harm the eye. Also, you can go to your eye doctor and they can write you a prescription for Restasis. It is for chronic dry eye. You can use it twice a day and if needed OTC preservative free drops in between the doses. If all else fails, you can do as I have done ( I’ve tried all of the above) and they can put a tear duct plug in your eye and it will help lubricate your eye. (You can have a temporary one done first for a month to make sure you will be ok with it) Ive had mine for 3 months and when I first got it I noticed an immediate difference. Good luck!!

Hi sweetie,

I don't always have help, so sometimes have to do it myself. I use the Swiffer dusters. I put it on, brush it out with an old plastic brush and spray lightly with Swiffer dust and wipe. I have gotten to the point that I will find a way to make it easier. I do this with the floor duster as well rather than a broom and have a shark wet steam mop.

I have found that sometimes making the investment is completely worth it. I don't have the strength to vacuum one of the rugs in my house, but the others I can do. I don't do them all in one day, it's just simply too much. I have some nieces that help out and in trade I let them make candles or other craft items using my products so that they get something out of it that isn't necessarily money. Bartering is a great tool and perhaps may work for you. Maybe you are a great cook, or are good at organizing an home office paperwork, or can do sewing alterations, etc.

Craigs list actually has a barter page. That may be an option for you.

It will work out. In the meantime I use many of the tools that you do with the mask and swim goggles. We do what we have to do.

Hugs,

DeAnne

Keepkeepinon said:

DeAnne your husband sounds great. I can't get anyone to help me with our dust, so if I don't do it, it won't get done. For a while there I couldn't "dust" because I was too sick. When speaking of dusting I don't mean "dry" dusting. People with allergies, asthma or breathing difficulties should NEVER "dry" dust. All that does is make the dust fly around and redistribute it elsewhere. I use a wet rag to wipe down the dust. Wet, ring out, wipe, rinse, repeat. I also bought one of those magnetic dusters that supposed to attract the dry dust when you wipe it. It works, is faster than using a damp rag, but you have to shake it off outside frequently and the dust just flies all around you. I sometimes wear a surgical mask when cleaning the dust, vacuuming or emptying out the vacuum cleaner cup. This helps tremendously. Of course what would help the most is if someone else would do it, but that's not gonna happen in my house. If I don't do it it won't get done. I was so sick for a few years that I just couldn't wipe down the dust or vacuum. That made things even worse for my health. I used to have an allergy to ragweed only in the fall, but then developed year round allergies. Now I have to take medication all year long for my allergies. I think being exposed to indoor allergens (the dust, dog hair and dander) caused this. What can you do when you have no help, you can't do it yourself, and you can't afford to pay someone else to do it? If I could turn back time I would have asked a relative to come over and help me during my worst.
An air purifier. I want to invest in one of those so badly. We can't afford it right now. That's one of the things on my wish list. I want to get the "Rainbow" air cleaner. No filters to clean. It just sucks the dust out of the air into the container of water, then you pour it out and add fresh water. So simple, yet so expensive! It costs about $1000. My sisters have them and the air in their houses smells so light and fresh despite each having 2 dogs. They've had their Rainbows for over 20 years. They are definitely durable.

whathappensinvegas said:

I try NOT to dust (I know it seems counterproductive) but my husband does it when I am not in the house. We have a couple of air purifiers that are hard to keep clean but are totally worth it in combo with a medium size humidifier by my bed. While no dogs are truly hypo-allergenic our two are Lhasa mixes and there is little to no dander or hair.

Hope you find helpful suggestions...looks like you already have a lot :)

Best,

DeAnne