Blood Thinners + Birth Control?

Hey all, hope everyone's having a happy tuesday :) I know this question is kind of personal, but I was wondering if anybody is on blood thinners, and if so have they ever tried or is currently on birth control?? The reason for me asking this question is because I am on blood thinners, and have been since my Lupus diagnosis (10 years now) due to DVT. And my periods have just been out of control. Ignoring the initial cramps and nausea when my period starts, the end of my period is just way too heavy. I find it to be debilitating, stressful, exhausting and discouraging because for about 4-5 days, I don't want to leave home because I am going through 1 tampon per hour. So I'm just curious if anybody on blood thinners have done anything to try and control their menstrual flows and how it's been working for you, because right now, the 2 options I have are Mirena (IUD), and Lysteda (not Birth Control).

,and good luck to youTalk to your Dr. Immediately and have your haemaglobin checked as you may be losing too much blood. Only your health care giver can answer that,My opinion only

well every opinion is valued, so thanks!

many years ago I was not allowed to go on birth control because of my SLE and the worry of blood clots so I did not go on them. I have never been put on blood thinners. You should consult with both, your rheumatologist and gynecologist regarding Lysteda. The Mirena is getting a lot of negative feed back right now but do your research, get second opinions and make an educated choice. Good luck. PS try using an overnight size pad along with the tampon, that should give you a few extra hours if you are out and save the embarrassment of leaking thru. good luck.

Hi lynn, when i was first found out i had lupus i wasn’t on any birth control and my period was very heavy…i had to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time. They when they told me i had lupus and that i was not able to be on the pill and other birth controls because of the hormones but my doctor strongly suggested that i use the iud, she stated it would be the safest and that it would control my period. I decided to give it a try…now they have a 5 year one and a 10 year one. I went with the 5 year because i knew i wanted more kids and I’ve been on it going on 5 years and it has been wonderful. My periods are very lite and only last 4 days, when before it last 7 days. I only have slight craps the first day and i haven’t been pregnant lol. Hope this helps, let me know what you decide

Yes, currently looking more intensively into both and working with both doctors. and yeah i should use the thicker padding or at least for night time--i don't know why that's never dawned on me lol. thanks!

flower said:

many years ago I was not allowed to go on birth control because of my SLE and the worry of blood clots so I did not go on them. I have never been put on blood thinners. You should consult with both, your rheumatologist and gynecologist regarding Lysteda. The Mirena is getting a lot of negative feed back right now but do your research, get second opinions and make an educated choice. Good luck. PS try using an overnight size pad along with the tampon, that should give you a few extra hours if you are out and save the embarrassment of leaking thru. good luck.

that's my current situation--ultra tampons + pads. and it's also ends up killing my wallet having to buy a pack of pads and 3 boxes of tampons every time i have my period @ like about $30 each time (i may be overexaggerating, i know that's not much, but i'm cheap & feels like it adds up, lol) right now i'm leaning more towards the IUD because of the added factor that its B.C. compared to the Lysteda that's not. just hoping that it works for me as well & that i'm not in that small percentage that it doesn't work for.lol. Thanks for your input & sharing your experience; i'll definitely keep you posted as to whatever it is I choose to do

lupussuperwoman said:

Hi lynn, when i was first found out i had lupus i wasn't on any birth control and my period was very heavy...i had to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time. They when they told me i had lupus and that i was not able to be on the pill and other birth controls because of the hormones but my doctor strongly suggested that i use the iud, she stated it would be the safest and that it would control my period. I decided to give it a try...now they have a 5 year one and a 10 year one. I went with the 5 year because i knew i wanted more kids and I've been on it going on 5 years and it has been wonderful. My periods are very lite and only last 4 days, when before it last 7 days. I only have slight craps the first day and i haven't been pregnant lol. Hope this helps, let me know what you decide

I ended up getting the Mirena IUD. Got it last friday, was extremely bloated and still kind of am; but other than that, so far so good

lynn4545 said:

that's my current situation--ultra tampons + pads. and it's also ends up killing my wallet having to buy a pack of pads and 3 boxes of tampons every time i have my period @ like about $30 each time (i may be overexaggerating, i know that's not much, but i'm cheap & feels like it adds up, lol) right now i'm leaning more towards the IUD because of the added factor that its B.C. compared to the Lysteda that's not. just hoping that it works for me as well & that i'm not in that small percentage that it doesn't work for.lol. Thanks for your input & sharing your experience; i'll definitely keep you posted as to whatever it is I choose to do

lupussuperwoman said:

Hi lynn, when i was first found out i had lupus i wasn't on any birth control and my period was very heavy...i had to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time. They when they told me i had lupus and that i was not able to be on the pill and other birth controls because of the hormones but my doctor strongly suggested that i use the iud, she stated it would be the safest and that it would control my period. I decided to give it a try...now they have a 5 year one and a 10 year one. I went with the 5 year because i knew i wanted more kids and I've been on it going on 5 years and it has been wonderful. My periods are very lite and only last 4 days, when before it last 7 days. I only have slight craps the first day and i haven't been pregnant lol. Hope this helps, let me know what you decide