Symtoms

To anyone with experience/ knowledge. Is it normal for your hips & legs to hurt & basically give out with normal activities? Mowing lawn?
May seem like a silly question but I did not have this problem prior to my diagnosis & specifically my open heart surgery last Dec.
I am a 63 year old male, always been very active hunting, fishing, camping, etc. & now don’t have energy to get the day started before 10 am. some days. Heart doc said it may take up to a year to recover from surgery, but he had been shocked at the amount of scar tissue inside my chest wall. Spent more than an hour cleaning/ scraping that which they can only attribute to lupus.
As this was only confirmed as lupus after my heart surgery, I really don’t know what is lupus & what may be heart-related. Have not got to visit with my arth. doc much as of yet.
Hope this doesn’t sound whiney, but just trying to learn. Thanks for any info.
Jim

Yes, lupus can affect your heart, lungs, kidneys, skin and all our major organs. You will feel so weak when you are having a flare up, it makes it hard to get out of bed or do much at all. This is a great place for you to be, with people that feel like you do. If you read a lot of discussions and blogs on this site you will find a lot of help. You can just put lupus in your search and find all kinds of information online. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Jim,

I just recently posted a question about my daughter and problems she is having with sciatica. You can find it under Discussions - Symptoms.

Anyway, it is very possible that you could be dealing with a very common part of Lupus for some people - Arthritis. My daughter is only 20 years old and has severe athritis in her knees, and elbows and today while massaging her I strongly suspect it is also now in her hip. You may want to read the comments left for my question, which were very helpful for me.

It sounds like you have been through quite a bit and I'm so sorry that through all this you have learned that your culprit is Lupus. I do want to assure you however, that no one here would ever think you are whiney. We are all here for each other! I have been given a tremendous amount of support here and learned a great deal here. I hope you find this site a great resource.

Always remember, we are all in this together! My daughter has Lupus, I have Connective Tissue Disease that display's like Lupus. Trust me, I still don't get it, LOL. I tested positive for Lupus and RA but didn't have all the proteins to be diagnosed with either however, I have enough symptoms of Lupus that my doctor calls mine Lupus Like. I'm not sure I'll ever understand what the heck all that means.

Make sure to discuss it all with your doctor. It's important to bring anything new to their attention.

Good Luck :)

Cathy,
Thank you so much for your input! There have been times I honestly thought I had lost my mind.What you,(geneva21) have told me to date has been a huge help! Many comments I’ve read here are so very helpful. Thanks to all!!

Jim,

I wanted to tell you that I was able to get my daughter to the doctor today. He is doing some tests to confirm the sciatica but feels pretty confident that is what it is but he also feels that she has bursitis in her hip, not arthritis as I had thought. I'm not even sure exactly what that means yet.

Anyway, she is on a prednisone pack and will hopefully feel better in a few days. She, well, we all, just have to roll with the punches.

YOU are NOT losing your mind, it just feels that way sometimes :)

Take care,

Cathy In MD

Just finished a emg test with neuro doc. This guy even works Saturdays! Will see next week what their latest discoveries/recomendations are!
Hope your daughter finds some answers, I was diagnosed in mid- 70’s with ruhm.arthritis. At that time, they had a injectable called myochrisine, or “gold shots”. Mine worked until I reached my 50’s, about 2005. It came back with a vengeance & have dealt with it & also now lupus.
Hope you all have a good weekend!!
Jim

A doctor that works on Saturday's! That is amazing! I hope you get some good guidance from him next week.

You try and have a good weekend too, it sounds like you are in good hands or at the very least... dedicated hands.

Cathy