Stopping Plaquenil

So I ran out of my plaquenil and the Rheum. that prescribed it I am no longer seeing and wont re-fill it and I dont see my new Rheum. until Decemeber 23rd. I am nervous to see what will happen. The pharmacist said there wont be any danger just stopping it. Im just nervous to see what my body will do. Has anyone gone off the plaquenil and what happened? I hear my new Rheum. is all for it so I know when I see her in Dec. I will be right back on it.....

Plaquenil is supposed to stay in your system for 1-2 months after you stop taking it. Try to rest, stay hydrated and away from sick ppl for now and hopefully you will not have any issues

I stopped it during my pregnancies. There is no taper needed or withdrawal, but if it has been helping you, you may have increased symptoms by the time you go for your next appointment. Do you have a primary care doctor? If so, you would likely be able to get a prescription from that doctor for one month's supply to tide you over.

I stopped mine and went into a life threatening flare - I would call your PCP to get a refill You may be fine or not- depends on if your illness has been lurking in the background waiting for an opportunity to launch an attack

Thank you all!! I do have a PCP and he might fill it for me. I really appreciate your input, this is all new to me so thank you!

Louters,

I went to see a new rheum and he took me off the Plaquenil to see what symptoms would show. I have not been formally diagnosed yet. It took 6 weeks to see the results. I went into a bad flare. Went back to rheum and he decided to put me on Methotrexate. I have only taken it once, so I am not sure what the results will be. I agree with poobie and would call your pcp to get a refill if possible.

Best of luck,

Creekbank

My mom said she read that plaquenil is mainly used for the discoid lupus and people with the joint pain. Is that true? Right now my hips are the only thing that is really bothering me my knees are now starting to act up.....

I was put on Plaquenil for RA as I was being dx for lupus. I am very mild. My rhuemy wants me to stop every time I have an infection. When it is gone she said I can resume at my own pace. Take into consideration I only take Plaquenil and ibuprofen 800mg. My symptoms came back after two weeks of being off it.

Plaquenil is used to keep this autoimmune disease at a less active phase- it is not just for joint pains and discoid It helps to also keep the flares less severe - unsure how it works they just know that it does. My lupus affects major body systems and joint pains have not been a big problem for me but it keeps the disease activity at a lower level so less other drugs such as prednisone are needed.

Thank you all! I am very thankful for all your input!!! :)

The 1-2 months is correct. It’s about 45 days before it starts to go out of your system. Remember it is cumulative, and took time to build up for an effect when you started taking it. It has an enormous half life. That’s why I laugh when some people’s surgeons tell them stop taking it 2 weeks before surgery. It does nothing. More up to date Drs will tell you not to stop. If you feel concerned tho, the suggestion call your primary is a good one. My primary is the prescriber for all my meds, even that one. It’s easier, honestly. As odd as it sounds, drinking tonic water would bump it enough to not be such a sharp cut off too. Some drs will have a patient that needs a touch more than their dose for whatever reason, rather than give a lot more with the limited increments pills come in. There isn’t enough in tonic water to be sufficiently therapeutic on it’s own for someone that needs a high dose, but it does contribute to an existing level if you’ve been taking plaquenil for some time.

My new rheumy, after running a trillion tests, has said that if it weren't for my previous rheumy's test results, he would say I did not have lupus. So, I asked about coming off of plaquenil. He said that I could stop plaquenil cold turkey. It slowly decreases effectiveness in the body. After the holidays, I am tempted to stop to see if the symptoms of lupus reappear so he can diagnose me. Did you ask to be put on a cancellation list for your new rheumy? I got in 3 months earlier with my new rheumy by being on the list and able to come in on the same day they called. Good luck my friend.

Oh I didn't even think of a cancellation list. She is the only Rheumy closest to my town the others are either 2 or 7 hrs. away. I was being seen at mayo but to us they weren't as great as we thought. They helped find the cause but then seemed to have lost sight of everything and couldn't make up there minds on what they wanted to do. So now I am back to my local PCP who is fabulous. I think I am going to wait on the plaquenil to see what happens as the kidney doctor wants me off of it anyways. I am being very closely monitored so Im not to worried if something comes up. And I have a nurse as a mom so she is always watching and knowing symptoms......

Sick of meds everyday I stopped it once it took a few months but realized why I was taking it and will never stop it again. It did take a few months though just remember low stress and plenty of sleep and rest.

I wanted to add something after reading the post about them not being sure how it works (which used to be the case). Forgive me if anyone else posted about, but I didn’t see any so… Plaquenil damps down the reactiveness of the receptors that send out your “fighters”, which in us is overactive. Rather than strangling the life out of your immune system like steroid meds do, it attenuates the function to closer to normal. Over time it can slightly lower your white cell count, but even with that it’s not as severe as prednisone et al. If anyone is into more technical reading, do a web search for “toll-like receptors and the mechanism of action”. My first rheumatologist had me look up that paper a few years ago.

Thanks! Now I have something to do while being laid up! :) Anxious to learn more about it.

:slight_smile:

*[quote=“Louters, post:1, topic:2514, full:true”]

So I ran out of my plaquenil and the Rheum. that prescribed it I am no longer seeing and wont re-fill it and I dont see my new Rheum. until Decemeber 23rd. I am nervous to see what will happen. The pharmacist said there wont be any danger just stopping it. Im just nervous to see what my body will do. Has anyone gone off the plaquenil and what happened? I hear my new Rheum. is all for it so I know when I see her in Dec. I will be right back on it.....

[/quote] Hello, I just want you know that I have had SLE, Lupus all my life but diagnosed in 1982!!! If anything, email me because I am having issues with posting a answer. It takes time for the Plaquenil to build up in your body!!!! I you sure you want to stop it??? I know that many people do not know that Methotrexate is a chemo drug. The Plaquenil has placed many people in my support group in remission. *