Retinal Migraine - Lupus Related?

I've had 2 retinal migraines today, no pain - just loss of vision and wondered if any one else suffers in the same way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_migraine

Reading up on it from the link above, seems that this could be a symptom linked to a detached retina - I had my eyes tested back in May because I'm on Plaquenil, but think I should maybe go get them done again ....

Hope you are all keeping yourselves well! It's been a scorching day here in the UK, I was meeting a friend for lunch and spent too long out in the sun - am exhausted!

Much love

Anne

x

Hello Anne,

I am sorry mate to hear how you've been...i've never had loss of vision but i'd definitely go and get your eyes sorted out with an opthamologist and Deenie found out about episcleritis yesterday and there's many issues involved as there's also scleritis.

Check this link out Anne also.

http://vision.about.com/od/sportsvision/p/Scleritis.htm

Thinking of you dearly my friend Terri xxx

BBAnne

I have been having visual issues with my eyes for two years now and no one can explain why. I don’t lose the vision it just becomes very blurred to the point I cant Focus. This will go on all day long! I believe it is related to the inflamation process that my body does but cant get anyone to confirm that as far as the eye doctor or the rheumy! I have another eye doctor appointment tomorrow so maybe it is a good question for me to ask him. He is a fairly new eye doctor for me.

Thanks
Deenie

Hi Deenie,

You check that link i've added because it's to do with what you found and that cause loss of vision and many other symptoms as well.

Before you know it we'll have better knowlege than the doctor's. lol xxx

Dewing3569 said:

BBAnne

I have been having visual issues with my eyes for two years now and no one can explain why. I don't lose the vision it just becomes very blurred to the point I cant Focus. This will go on all day long! I believe it is related to the inflamation process that my body does but cant get anyone to confirm that as far as the eye doctor or the rheumy! I have another eye doctor appointment tomorrow so maybe it is a good question for me to ask him. He is a fairly new eye doctor for me.

Thanks
Deenie

Thanks so much for your replies Terri and Deenie, there's a lot to take in there! Managed to get an opthal appt for this afternoon, so they can check that all is ok (I will mention epi/scleritis too, thanks Terri!)

The symptoms I had yesterday seem to have dissipated today - it was like my vision was a pond and someone had chucked a stone in it! I had ripples running outwards which lasted around half an hour. I did have an exhausting day yesterday which I guess didn't help

I'll let you know what the opthal guy says this afternoon, he's one of the good guys so trust him implicitly!

Anne

x

Hello Ann,

Your welcome from us both and i'll wait to hear how you got on and mentioning the epi/scleritis
is also another important factor for Lupus suffers.

I wish you all the very best and good luck.

Love Terri xxx
BBAnne said:

Thanks so much for your replies Terri and Deenie, there's a lot to take in there! Managed to get an opthal appt for this afternoon, so they can check that all is ok (I will mention epi/scleritis too, thanks Terri!)

The symptoms I had yesterday seem to have dissipated today - it was like my vision was a pond and someone had chucked a stone in it! I had ripples running outwards which lasted around half an hour. I did have an exhausting day yesterday which I guess didn't help

I'll let you know what the opthal guy says this afternoon, he's one of the good guys so trust him implicitly!

Anne

x

Hello Deenie,

All the best mate with your appointment and please update we also.

Hugs Terri xxx

Dewing3569 said:

BBAnne

I have been having visual issues with my eyes for two years now and no one can explain why. I don't lose the vision it just becomes very blurred to the point I cant Focus. This will go on all day long! I believe it is related to the inflamation process that my body does but cant get anyone to confirm that as far as the eye doctor or the rheumy! I have another eye doctor appointment tomorrow so maybe it is a good question for me to ask him. He is a fairly new eye doctor for me.

Thanks
Deenie

Terri

My eyes are dry and that can cause the blurriness to happen according to the doctor. The episclertis is from the lupus.
Nothing more then I have already been told before. Thanks for the concern!

Deenie

Your description of the pond and rock is very typical of scintillating scotoma- also due to migraines and yep you really can't see while they are going on! Treatment for my migraines keeps mine in check- good luck with your eye exam - oh a neurologist helped me not an opthalmologist so you might want to keep that in mind if you continue to have problems

Hello Deenie,

I'd definitely still get tested for sjogrens to make sure if that's involved or not besides and besides and thanks for letting we know how things went.

Love Terri xxx

Dewing3569 said:

Terri

My eyes are dry and that can cause the blurriness to happen according to the doctor. The episclertis is from the lupus.
Nothing more then I have already been told before. Thanks for the concern!

Deenie

Hi chaps

Just to let you know that the opthalmologist found some spots and smudges at the rear of my left eye in the exam yesterday - he's forwarding the photo's to the hospital so that they can look at them in more depth and decide if they need to do anything now. But no detached retinas, so that's the great news!

poobie, I've been reading up on scintillating scotoma and bingo! You have hit the nail on the head! I don't get a migraine afterwards (don't think I've ever had one of those in my life, touch wood) but the description of it is spot on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Just goes to prove what a great site this is and how helpful the Lupus community are - so thank you

Anne

xx

Hello Anne,

Thanks for updating we all on your appointment.

I am sorry to hear about the spots and smudges so now it's a waiting game with the hospital and please let us know when you need to attend or if anything is going to be done.

Do takecare Terri xxx

Anne

Thanks so much for putting the link on here! OMG! You have just answered a symptom for me! I have had this happen to me three or four times. I have seen the eye doctor and my primary for it and neither one knew what it was! That is scary! I explained it as my vision field because limited with a blurry band around my eye and once it was like I was looking through a kaleidoscope. I blammed it on low sugar! It only lasted a few minutes and then it was gone I did not get a headache with it! However if you look to the rightside of the page on the link it gives you examples of what this looks like when it happens. I have had the first one and the last one. I guess they thought I was crazy! Now the proof is in the pudding! I can wait to discuss this with them!

I love this site! It is so resourceful!

Deenie

Hi Deenie,

I'd love to take the credit for it, but it was poobie who put me on to it first!

That first and last picture on the right of the link was what clinched it for me too :)

Nice to know that we're not going crazy along with everything else...love the name as well, at least now part of me is scintillating!

Anne

x

Dewing3569 said:

Anne

Thanks so much for putting the link on here! OMG! You have just answered a symptom for me! I have had this happen to me three or four times. I have seen the eye doctor and my primary for it and neither one knew what it was! That is scary! I explained it as my vision field because limited with a blurry band around my eye and once it was like I was looking through a kaleidoscope. I blammed it on low sugar! It only lasted a few minutes and then it was gone I did not get a headache with it! However if you look to the rightside of the page on the link it gives you examples of what this looks like when it happens. I have had the first one and the last one. I guess they thought I was crazy! Now the proof is in the pudding! I can wait to discuss this with them!

I love this site! It is so resourceful!

Deenie