Not sleeping well

SO I HAV BEEN LINVING WITH LUPUS SINCE I WAS 16 AND I AM NOW 25 RECENTLY I HAVE STARTED SEEIND A PSHYCIATRIST AND PYSHOLOGIST AND ON DEPRESSION MEDICATION . IT WAS SUPPOSE TO HELP ME WITH MY SLEEP BUT LATELY I HAVE BEEN WAKING UP IN THE MIDLE OF THE NIGHT AND SLEEPING DURING THE DAY, I FEEL LIKE MY LUPUS FLARES UP EVEN MORE BECUASE I DON'T EAT AT THE SAME TIMES AND DRINK MY MEDICATION LATE OR NOT AT ALL ITS ALL SO CONFUSING AND ALSO LATELLY I HAVE BEEN FEELING NOT MYSELF LIKE NOT CONFTARBLE IN MY OWN SKIN DAM HORMONOES, ANYONE ELSE FELL THE SAME?

Some antidepressants can cause sleeplessness, especially while your system adjusts to them. You might want to mention the issue to the prescribing doctor.

Hi delia,

I take Savella for Fibromyalgia and I take it no later than 5pm. I've also had to cut out caffeine after 2pm. Routines are important to us, going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same times. Waking up during the middle of the night is also a struggle for me. I still wake up, but I can fall back asleep now. I don't sleep 8 hours at night, more like 6 or so - but I am waking up rested now. Talk to your doctor, or talk to the pharmacist to see what side affects you meds may have and any recommendations they may have. Pharmacist are a great source of help many people over look.

Hugs

I was having the same problem. My rheu recommended Lyrica to help with both joint pains and sleeping. So far it’s been working.

Lyrica works for me too. I take it for neuropathy. But I use Ambien or I would never sleep. Are you in pain when you wake up??

I was strongly warned by my nutritionist to throw out melatonin, as it can be almost toxic to people with lupus…
I too have a very hard time sleeping- mainly due to a busy head and pain, but having a “bed time routine” and good sleep hygiene has been helpful… Maybe a hot shower, cup of decaf tea, change into cozy pj’s, light a candle, journal, read (nothing heavy), and get into a clean, made an inviting bed… Could help? Sweet dreams xo!

Hi, been there done that!! And yes dealing with Lupus it is a player all by itself.LOL. I’ve learned that eating at or around sme time helps me from having bad flares, along with taking the meds on a full stomache helps alot.Sleeping your days away (like you work 3rd shift), and awoke all nite-oh boy! Do I remember that , I only go through this if I don’t do the this I mentioned earlier, but that is how the Lupus do us. Depression moments , I still have often still, and have to take thoses daily even when I don’t want to but ha! I just go with the flow of things now and try to stay away from Stress. Trying to be strong that we will never be the same helps me hold on to Faith, and keep it moving. Just trying to stay sane is a major thing everyday…Beverly L.

I found out that if I go nocturnal I don't have to worry about the sun hurting me as it did. It works for me. If I have a dr. appmnt, I schedule it past 2 PM when the sun is not as threatening--and I am awake!

I do take Savella. My rheumy and dermy said once that people with chronic diseases usually become depressive and need an antidepressant. Don't feel bad. It comes in the package.