Neurological Issues/Mood Swings

I am reaching out for anybody that has had severe mood swings and what you did if anything to help with them. I have been told there have been times I have gotten nasty to people and not even remembered which is very concerning. Me being sick is hard enough on loved ones, I don't want to make it harder by lashing out and not recalling it. I am looking into a Neurologist now and have done some research on different way lupus can affect the brain. I have Raynaud's and Livedo Reticularis both of which are listed as being linked to or caused by neuro issues........

Livedo reticularis and even Raynaud's are commonly linked by an autoimmune disorder such as lupus I have both and they become prominent when I am in a flare I used to have mood swings with my migraines- and my migraines are associated with my lupus In fact when I am being just insanely irritable that is generally a sign that a migraine is on its way

Also meds can cause mood swings. I think its also lupus that cause it
hang in
jj

I had really bad mood swings and emotional outbursts when I was first diagnosed. Much of it was due to my medication, but I also think that the frustration of having to deal with the diagnosis contributed as well.
I think possibly seeing a therapist and just having that objective person to release yor feelings too might help. It helped me a lot! And cliche things like exercising and channeling your frustrations through alternate avenues…
Best of luck. I know how frustrating all of this can be.
Joe

Guilty of the same, lupus does affect the cns, but also some of the meds or a combination of meds can cause severe mood swings, and depression. I still insist just dealing with always not feeling good is cause for the depression alone. Seeing a neurologist is a good idea, but also seek out a therapist to help you cope.

This is a very important issue and you are wise to check into it. The first, obvious culprit could be bipolar disorder, which is a devastating problem for sufferers who also have physical problems such as lupus. My palliative care (hope spelled correctly) doctor has me on a drug to help with the bipolar, and this has made a difference, I feel, though additional drugs may be needed. Arriving at the right mix for each individual can be tricky.

Without some relief from bipolar's harmful impact, people who also suffer from lupus can struggle mightily in day-to-day life, often focusing their anger and frustration on others without realizing how it affects the people involved. You owe it to yourself and others to try to relieve this problem.

Good luck.

Thomas Franklin

Lupus psychosis is very real. Your brain is as at risk as any other organ. Definitely bring up with your rheumy and ask for the appropriate recommendation…

I am sorry to learn that you are struggling with this, and I know that it must be difficult for you, but be thankful that you have some self awareness and are open to getting help now. I agree with all of the previous posts. You did not mention if your loved ones included children, but I will suggest that in the best interest for them, for you, and for your other loved ones, that you consult an attorney so that you can put the people that love you, and will not be in denial of your condition, in a position to discuss the psychological issues that might develop without your awareness with your doctors. HIPAA is a major legal impediment in this situation. My wife and I did not set this up in advance, and the only legal vehicle that I have to hopefully get her the help that she needs is a custody fight for our children in a divorce that she filed for. We knew of the possibility of Lupus affecting her brain before we got married, an had 14 good years together, but we were completely unprepared for her Lupus affecting her mental health and becoming a family disease. She is either in denial, or her Lupus has affected her brain in a manner consistent with Anosognosia - the inability to be self aware of ones own mental illness, and it is hurting everyone.