Managing Lupus flares with awareness

Recently, I began keeping a journal of my flares (or those I assume are flares) and the activities that immediately proceeded the flares to understand how my behaviors, actions and events, contribute to my health. Just going through the motions of caring for problems as they surface is not sufficient with Lupus, I don't think.

I am naturally a type A individual and everything in my life is categorized and actions are logical, if I am tired but know that I need to finish a project or task, I would forgo sleep and finish the project. Now, if I am tired, I make time to go asleep, if I am unable to go to an event, I just don't attend. The only exception is for my special days (birthday, holidays, etc) I will push through to attend and be an active participant in life.

Hello Unshoreandscared,

Nice to hear that your doing what i've had to do with so many underlining issues and ailments...your learning to master your own body sysmptoms besides flare/s which is great and i've found it helps alot regarding on how to deal with your own body plus knowing what symptoms are hitting you from one dy to the next.

How you do a journal i don't bother because each day i can at least say 60% of me knows where a large majority of symptoms i'm having are related to and if some are more extreme in the body i can guaranteee i know it's a flare persisting on.

Like yourself though i rest when i need to besides only going out if really necessary....but you've named the main issue that counts with Lupus knowing your own behavior and actions which contribute to what's happening with your body.

Stay strong mate as your doing thing great & all my love Terri xxxx

Thanks Terri. Do you have any idea how to reduce the facial puffiness?

Tez_20 said:

Hello Unshoreandscared,

Nice to hear that your doing what i've had to do with so many underlining issues and ailments...your learning to master your own body sysmptoms besides flare/s which is great and i've found it helps alot regarding on how to deal with your own body plus knowing what symptoms are hitting you from one dy to the next.

How you do a journal i don't bother because each day i can at least say 60% of me knows where a large majority of symptoms i'm having are related to and if some are more extreme in the body i can guaranteee i know it's a flare persisting on.

Like yourself though i rest when i need to besides only going out if really necessary....but you've named the main issue that counts with Lupus knowing your own behavior and actions which contribute to what's happening with your body.

Stay strong mate as your doing thing great & all my love Terri xxxx

I know how hard it is to have to slow down. I had 2 jobs before I got sick. A tone of events I went to and orgenized, I travelt to new Orleans quite a bit and had friends down there! Now, my life evolves around drugs, research, LFA, Dr. Visits, and trying to get enought rest.

Facial puffyness comes off actually swelling, dehydration, either wet a damp towel to your face as it reduces it down and when you wash in a morning...wash your face with cold water...i know it sounds soft but you see the difference after an hour.

Some days besides swelling i've had fluid bags underneath my eyes, and apprentley the ENT department told me for that having TMJ Disease that it fluid which forms around the eyes and top of the head and drops underneath your eyes...the things we have is unreal at times mate.

Thanks Sunshinespraypaint and Tez_20, I am going to try and reduce my cabbage patch face :) now.

@ sunshinespraypaint, what does LFA stand for?

Hi Unshoreandscared,

I hope the swelling goes down and you should join the group i've done on TMJ Disease as Lupus can cause that plus your facial swelling may be coming from that also.

All my love to you xxx

Unshoreandscared said:

Thanks Sunshinespraypaint and Tez_20, I am going to try and reduce my cabbage patch face :) now.

@ sunshinespraypaint, what does LFA stand for?

Facial swelling can also come from an under active thyroid. My face gets puffy too! I notice that with the swelling of my joints. I have a thyroid issue as well. But I think it comes from the lupus flares more then my thyriod. I say that because my thyriod levels are fine.