Lupus and Religion

Hi everyone!

I just want to know a little bit about this, and I'd like you to share your personal views about it...

HOW YOU COPE WITH A HARD DISEASE AS LUPUS IN A RELIGIOUS TERM???

Do you have faith?, Do you think this is a some kind of "divine punishment" for your sins?, Have you lost your Faith because of Lupus?, Do you think Lupus is a "divine test" for your Faith?, You don't have Faith or don't believe in anything? Do you hope for a miracle? Does Lupus made a chang in your life and now you have Faith?......

I'm a Roman Catholic, and I'd like to know all your stories!

Thanks in advantage and I wait for your answers :)

Cheers...

from Chile!

Hello,

I'm a Unitarian Universalist, so you're going to get a completely different view here maybe than a Christian one. I do not believe that people are punished for their sins. Bad things happen to the best people in the world. I believe life is tough, and everyone has some type of battle, but some are luckier than others.

I am a spiritual person, and have not lost my spirituality. I can't say that I've lost my faith in God, because I am a Humanist and believe that all human beings, and actually all living things are part of God, not separate. Another human being didn't cause me to have Lupus. I have been hit with a tough obstacle in life, and there have been others. This is something I struggle with, and reach out to others for support for. I hope to feel well enough to live a productive life. A cure would be the best though!

So far Lupus has changed me in the way that I have to learn to say no to activities that I can't participate in right now. I need to ask people for help, and learn how to not feel guilty about that. I have learned that having a good hair day is not as important as getting my Kindergartner to school on time. And that the house will have to be messy more often than not. And it has enhanced my appreciation for the miracle of life because we don't know how much time we've got here on earth.

I don't know if that helps you or not, but that's my story.

I love your story nicole

I love your story too Nicole. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I was hesitant at first, but the question was asked......

janice said:

I love your story nicole

Thank you! I wasn't sure if I should get into religion, but the question was asked....

grandma14 said:

I love your story too Nicole. Thanks for sharing.

First off, I don't belong to any religious groups, but I do consider myself a Christian. I try to live right and never do harm to anyone and help when I can and tell everyone I couldn't do any of it without God's help. I have had Lupus for years and thought I dealt with it pretty well. Through the years, I always managed to meet all my responsibilities, even if I had to stay up hours after everyone else, it would get done, but gosh, I was just so tired all the time, but that's what a wife/mother/family/friend does, right? I was (and still am) married with two grown sons, one in college, one living and working out of state. In August 2009, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Due to the stage of the disease and the fact that I have Lupus, radiation was out of the question, so I had to have a mastectomy, chemo and then reconstruction. I don't mind telling you, there were many nights I was afraid if I closed my eyes I wouldn't open them again. My husband has always been my biggest supporter/cheerleader, but he is the one with the job that supplies our insurance so I made him go to bed at night, he would get up and check on me, but I would tell him to go back to bed. I don't know, maybe I was pushing him away in preparation for my death, they had to stop my chemo early because of my health. I had always been sensitive to sunlight and temps, but after chemo started, it got a million times worse. Of course, I had to go to the next town for chemo, so not only was I dealing with the chemo effects, I was dealing with the Lupus too, I can honestly tell you the Lupus is now worse than chemo ever was. No matter the sunscreen or expensive sun-protective clothing, within 3 hours of exposure, I am so very sick. I have learned to minimize the effects but I can't escape them all. During all this, I had plenty of time to think, one thing really stood out; I had spent my entire life taking care of and trying to please everone else, all during my treatment no one called to check on me or visited me. I take that back, one sister in law brought me some meals for my freezer once, LOL. All that time and worry wasted, years of my life, apparently I didn't mean much to people if I couldn't be of use to them, it was a real eye opener, a hurtful one, but a real reality check. My youngest son spent his first semester at college commuting on weekends to help take care of me, which I hated, then he wound up just leaving college to move back home, for which I will always feel guilty but extremely grateful. My sister in law convinced my older son to move back home, which I would never have asked him to do. The young man who moved into my home wasn't the same one who had moved out, except for the fact that he still wanted me to do everything for him, cook, clean, laundry, and now he was an alcoholic too. He and my husband both worked close enough to come home for lunch, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY, one day my son stood there and waited for me to quit puking to ask me had I cooked any lunch, another eye opener. I prayed many a night waiting for him to stumble in the door, wondering how the heck he drove home and thanking God that he didn't kill anyone that night, but still waiting on "the call", oh how I prayed. Finally he met a wonderful young woman with a young son, he wasn't drinking all the time, he was actually happy and living a good life again. Well, things moved fast, they got engaged and then on his 31st birthday, they told me they were going to have a baby. Hey it happens, children are gifts from God, just sometimes a surprise. As soon as they told me, I could see my granddaughter in my mind and she was going to be glorious, I thought my prayers were finally answered. Well, you can guess what happened. Long story short, he started drinking again and they broke up. I explained to him that even though they wouldn't be a traditional family, he could still be a father to his child. He just needed to decide whether his child would look up to him or be ashamed of him. As a child of an alcoholic, I did not want that for my grandchild. Of course he made all kinds of promises. After his DUI last August, I told him I had to turn him over to God, I couldn't watch him killing himself everyday, then I dropped him off at his vehicle and cried and prayed for God to heal his heart and soul all the way home. He made many promises, none of them kept, just more excuses and somehow anything that goes wrong is never his fault and usually mine. He would only call or come by if he needed something, when I told him I would give him food but not money which could be used for booze he became very upset and started his usual tirade, screaming and yelling at me. I had had enough. I told him to leave and that he was not going to talk to me that way ever again, he left but kept trying to call and yell at me on the phone anytime he got upset about something, I told him if he didn't stop I would hang up, so I did. It may sound heartless, but I didn't know what else to do. I love him and always will but I will not watch or give him the money to kill himself off a drink at a time, not to mention the other people on the road with him. I have had a lot of time to pray and think and pray some more, I am so grateful that I have that faith. When he walked out that door, 98% of my stress walked out the door with him and you know what stress can do to the average person, to a person with Lupus it can be devastating, it was like a big weight had been lifted off my heart. While I still grieve that we are no longer close, I hope one day that he will understand that I was the only one who actually cared enough to tell him the truth, whether it made him mad or not, I loved him enough to try to make a difference. His ex-fiance? She made numerous efforts with him, but he would always find a way to throw it back in her face and then be ugly to her. She called and kept me updated on the pregnancy, there was a scare in the last month where they sent her for test thinking there was something seriously wrong with the baby, thankfully they were wrong. On November 14, 2011, my granddaughter was born weighing almost 10 lbs, perfectly healthy. I have no doubt prayer works, I live by the grace of them everyday. I did doubt that I would ever get to know my grandchild with the way my son was behaving, I figured I'd have to just see occassional pictures and hear stories. Well, Julie prays too, and we both pray for the same thing, for her daughter, my granddaughter, to be a healthy, happy, well loved child. Neither her nor her family have held any of my son's behavior against me, that truely shows me God's grace. Against everyone's advice, my drs included I decided to try to watch my granddaughter when her mother returned to work and prayed to God to help me do it. The cancer is gone but I do still have Lupus, I still have all the problems associated with it too. But you know what, if I wasn't confined to the house during daylight hours, would I be available to watch the baby? No. If I hadn't gone through all this, would I have had the strength to finally stand up for myself? No. The baby is almost 7 months old now, have I had to ever skip a day watching her? No. See, God makes the schedule, the angels help. If you have Lupus, you know that you know ahead of time that you are getting ready to have problems, those are the days that the angels arrange the other grandma's schedule, that just happens to be the day that she is off work and spends time with her, funny how that works every single time. So I guess you could say that Lupus brought me closer to God, he always arranges what is best for me and gives me rest when needed. You are born into a family, you can't choose that. When you are an adult, you can make your own family, they don't have to be blood relatives, just people that want the best for you and make you happy and are there for you, just pray you make the right choices. God always answers prayers, just not always the way you expect, but God does NOT make mistakes. One last thing, my granddaughter IS glorious, and even more than I hoped for, and her face is exactly like I pictured it in my mind the first time I heard she was on the way. God is Good.

Thanks Nicole!

I appreciate your story and I thank you for taking the time to answer.

I've never heard about Unitarian Universalist, but it's a great point of view of live and human being.

I agree with most of your interpretation or appreciations: I don't believe we are punished for our sins (I believe we will be punished or judged for them after life, not now); bad things happen to everyone (in different ways, but to EVERYONE); and nobody can cause anyone to have Lupus.

I truly "congratulate" you to not have lost your beliefs in life and human being (that's makes you a great person).

I don't have Lupus, but Lupus has changed my life. My sister is the Lupie one, so I'm in the other part of your story... I'm the helper one, I'm the brother who says to his little sister not to feel guilty if she cannot do anything, if she has to ask for help to go to the bathroom or something like that.

I had to change my life too... I use to hace my "own stlye of life", but now I'm involved with my sister and Lupus is part of my life because I chose it, because I believe God ask me for it, and that has enhanced my appreciation for the miracle of life too... now, as you, I'm not so worried if I look nice or pretty to the others, I'm just worry my sister get well soon.

I thank you again and I really appreciate your story and your points of viesw help me a lot to see how the other people cope with Lupus in this way.

Thanks Nicole!

Nicole said:

Hello,

I'm a Unitarian Universalist, so you're going to get a completely different view here maybe than a Christian one. I do not believe that people are punished for their sins. Bad things happen to the best people in the world. I believe life is tough, and everyone has some type of battle, but some are luckier than others.

I am a spiritual person, and have not lost my spirituality. I can't say that I've lost my faith in God, because I am a Humanist and believe that all human beings, and actually all living things are part of God, not separate. Another human being didn't cause me to have Lupus. I have been hit with a tough obstacle in life, and there have been others. This is something I struggle with, and reach out to others for support for. I hope to feel well enough to live a productive life. A cure would be the best though!

So far Lupus has changed me in the way that I have to learn to say no to activities that I can't participate in right now. I need to ask people for help, and learn how to not feel guilty about that. I have learned that having a good hair day is not as important as getting my Kindergartner to school on time. And that the house will have to be messy more often than not. And it has enhanced my appreciation for the miracle of life because we don't know how much time we've got here on earth.

That's a great one, isn't?

janice said:

I love your story nicole

That's what I wanted to read.... thanks again Nicole!

Nicole said:

Thank you! I was hesitant at first, but the question was asked......

janice said:

I love your story nicole

Pinkycito,

You are such a caring brother-wow. I am always impressed at the family members, boyfriends, and spouses that get so involved in the care of their loved one with Lupus. Your sister is lucky to have you by her side.

pinkycito said:

Thanks Nicole!

I've never heard about Unitarian Universalist, but it's a great point of view of live and human being.

I agree with most of your interpretation or appreciations: I don't believe we are punished for our sins (I believe we will be punished or judged for them after life, not now); bad things happen to everyone (in different ways, but to EVERYONE); and nobody can cause anyone to have Lupus.

I truly "congratulate" you to not have lost your beliefs in life and human being (that's makes you a great person).

I don't have Lupus, but Lupus has changed my life. My sister is the Lupie one, so I'm in the other part of your story... I'm the helper one, I'm the brother who says to his little sister not to feel guilty if she cannot do anything, if she has to ask for help to go to the bathroom or something like that.

I had to change my life too... I use to hace my "own stlye of life", but now I'm involved with my sister and Lupus is part of my life because I chose it, because I believe God ask me for it, and that has enhanced my appreciation for the miracle of life too... now, as you, I'm not so worried if I look nice or pretty to the others, I'm just worry my sister get well soon.

I thank you again and I really appreciate your story and your points of viesw help me a lot to see how the other people cope with Lupus in this way.

Thanks Nicole!

Nicole said:

Hello,

I am so sorry about what you've been through with your son, on top of having this terrible condition. I feel your joy that your are able to spend time with your GrandDaughter. That is precious!

msssouth said:

First off, I don't belong to any religious groups, but I do consider myself a Christian. I try to live right and never do harm to anyone and help when I can and tell everyone I couldn't do any of it without God's help. I have had Lupus for years and thought I dealt with it pretty well. Through the years, I always managed to meet all my responsibilities, even if I had to stay up hours after everyone else, it would get done, but gosh, I was just so tired all the time, but that's what a wife/mother/family/friend does, right? I was (and still am) married with two grown sons, one in college, one living and working out of state. In August 2009, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Due to the stage of the disease and the fact that I have Lupus, radiation was out of the question, so I had to have a mastectomy, chemo and then reconstruction. I don't mind telling you, there were many nights I was afraid if I closed my eyes I wouldn't open them again. My husband has always been my biggest supporter/cheerleader, but he is the one with the job that supplies our insurance so I made him go to bed at night, he would get up and check on me, but I would tell him to go back to bed. I don't know, maybe I was pushing him away in preparation for my death, they had to stop my chemo early because of my health. I had always been sensitive to sunlight and temps, but after chemo started, it got a million times worse. Of course, I had to go to the next town for chemo, so not only was I dealing with the chemo effects, I was dealing with the Lupus too, I can honestly tell you the Lupus is now worse than chemo ever was. No matter the sunscreen or expensive sun-protective clothing, within 3 hours of exposure, I am so very sick. I have learned to minimize the effects but I can't escape them all. During all this, I had plenty of time to think, one thing really stood out; I had spent my entire life taking care of and trying to please everone else, all during my treatment no one called to check on me or visited me. I take that back, one sister in law brought me some meals for my freezer once, LOL. All that time and worry wasted, years of my life, apparently I didn't mean much to people if I couldn't be of use to them, it was a real eye opener, a hurtful one, but a real reality check. My youngest son spent his first semester at college commuting on weekends to help take care of me, which I hated, then he wound up just leaving college to move back home, for which I will always feel guilty but extremely grateful. My sister in law convinced my older son to move back home, which I would never have asked him to do. The young man who moved into my home wasn't the same one who had moved out, except for the fact that he still wanted me to do everything for him, cook, clean, laundry, and now he was an alcoholic too. He and my husband both worked close enough to come home for lunch, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY, one day my son stood there and waited for me to quit puking to ask me had I cooked any lunch, another eye opener. I prayed many a night waiting for him to stumble in the door, wondering how the heck he drove home and thanking God that he didn't kill anyone that night, but still waiting on "the call", oh how I prayed. Finally he met a wonderful young woman with a young son, he wasn't drinking all the time, he was actually happy and living a good life again. Well, things moved fast, they got engaged and then on his 31st birthday, they told me they were going to have a baby. Hey it happens, children are gifts from God, just sometimes a surprise. As soon as they told me, I could see my granddaughter in my mind and she was going to be glorious, I thought my prayers were finally answered. Well, you can guess what happened. Long story short, he started drinking again and they broke up. I explained to him that even though they wouldn't be a traditional family, he could still be a father to his child. He just needed to decide whether his child would look up to him or be ashamed of him. As a child of an alcoholic, I did not want that for my grandchild. Of course he made all kinds of promises. After his DUI last August, I told him I had to turn him over to God, I couldn't watch him killing himself everyday, then I dropped him off at his vehicle and cried and prayed for God to heal his heart and soul all the way home. He made many promises, none of them kept, just more excuses and somehow anything that goes wrong is never his fault and usually mine. He would only call or come by if he needed something, when I told him I would give him food but not money which could be used for booze he became very upset and started his usual tirade, screaming and yelling at me. I had had enough. I told him to leave and that he was not going to talk to me that way ever again, he left but kept trying to call and yell at me on the phone anytime he got upset about something, I told him if he didn't stop I would hang up, so I did. It may sound heartless, but I didn't know what else to do. I love him and always will but I will not watch or give him the money to kill himself off a drink at a time, not to mention the other people on the road with him. I have had a lot of time to pray and think and pray some more, I am so grateful that I have that faith. When he walked out that door, 98% of my stress walked out the door with him and you know what stress can do to the average person, to a person with Lupus it can be devastating, it was like a big weight had been lifted off my heart. While I still grieve that we are no longer close, I hope one day that he will understand that I was the only one who actually cared enough to tell him the truth, whether it made him mad or not, I loved him enough to try to make a difference. His ex-fiance? She made numerous efforts with him, but he would always find a way to throw it back in her face and then be ugly to her. She called and kept me updated on the pregnancy, there was a scare in the last month where they sent her for test thinking there was something seriously wrong with the baby, thankfully they were wrong. On November 14, 2011, my granddaughter was born weighing almost 10 lbs, perfectly healthy. I have no doubt prayer works, I live by the grace of them everyday. I did doubt that I would ever get to know my grandchild with the way my son was behaving, I figured I'd have to just see occassional pictures and hear stories. Well, Julie prays too, and we both pray for the same thing, for her daughter, my granddaughter, to be a healthy, happy, well loved child. Neither her nor her family have held any of my son's behavior against me, that truely shows me God's grace. Against everyone's advice, my drs included I decided to try to watch my granddaughter when her mother returned to work and prayed to God to help me do it. The cancer is gone but I do still have Lupus, I still have all the problems associated with it too. But you know what, if I wasn't confined to the house during daylight hours, would I be available to watch the baby? No. If I hadn't gone through all this, would I have had the strength to finally stand up for myself? No. The baby is almost 7 months old now, have I had to ever skip a day watching her? No. See, God makes the schedule, the angels help. If you have Lupus, you know that you know ahead of time that you are getting ready to have problems, those are the days that the angels arrange the other grandma's schedule, that just happens to be the day that she is off work and spends time with her, funny how that works every single time. So I guess you could say that Lupus brought me closer to God, he always arranges what is best for me and gives me rest when needed. You are born into a family, you can't choose that. When you are an adult, you can make your own family, they don't have to be blood relatives, just people that want the best for you and make you happy and are there for you, just pray you make the right choices. God always answers prayers, just not always the way you expect, but God does NOT make mistakes. One last thing, my granddaughter IS glorious, and even more than I hoped for, and her face is exactly like I pictured it in my mind the first time I heard she was on the way. God is Good.

OMG msssouth... your story made my cry, but in a positive way, not for sorrow or pain.

Your story makes my beliefs harder. I believe in God and I trully think as you that he ALWAYS answers our prayers in HIS OWN WAY, not in our human wishes. He knows the best for us, but sometimes we are so selfish that we cannot see what is the best... we only want what WE think is the best for us.

Reading your story i one moment I thought it was going to have an awful end, but then I cried, because you are so blessed with your Faith that God made you the best miracle ever: your granddaughter is a healthy and pretty baby who is there for you to shine your life, to show you that every problem, as greater as it looks it does not compare to the miracle of life. We are all alive because God gave us that gift and we have to keep moving in this way called LIFE... something is a pretty one, but sometimes it turns a little more hard.

Your Lupus and Cancer fight may looks unfair, but God has given to you for some reason... we as human might not know it, but it clearly would make you a better person, and the people who is around you (those who see you as an useful one) one day will se how devote and great person you are.

I really hope the best for you. I hope your Lupus would't bring you more pain and be totally able to be with your granddaughter as far as you can.

And about your son, I hope he appreciates your love... and soon! To you both have a new chance to have a great relationship and he not be regretting his sins in the future.

I'll pray for you, your son and your granddaughter.... you deserve it!

Thanks for share your story, and thanks you again!

msssouth said:

Thank you again Nicole!

I hope God-Life-Human bless you!

Nicole said:

Pinkycito,

You are such a caring brother-wow. I am always impressed at the family members, boyfriends, and spouses that get so involved in the care of their loved one with Lupus. Your sister is lucky to have you by her side.

pinkycito said:

Thanks Nicole!

Thanks Nicole!

Nicole said:

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I just know how easy it can be to get overwhelmed, but you can always look and find someone who is worse of than you, we just all have our own problems. You just have to learn to do what you can about what you can, and let the stuff you can't do anything about go. Kind of like spring cleaning, LOL. You have to clean out the old stuff to make room for the new stuff. Hanging onto regrets, grudges and old anger just takes up the space you can be using to make new memories, and in the end that's all you can really leave behind, good memories. After the last couple of years I have learned that you can only do what you can do, turn the rest of it over to God, he's better equipped to deal with it. If I'm having a bad day, I will actually set the timer to brood about something, if I want to cry I can, then when the dinger goes off, it's over. I told my mother in law that here while back when she asked me how I was dealing with all this, she was skeptical and said "whatever works". She came over to check on me last week, she admitted to doing it, said it had been a long time since she had cried. It made me sad, I asked her what about when her husband died two years ago. She went on to explain that she couldn't, she had to much to do, plus the kids needed her to be strong. There is nothing wrong with showing emotion, we all get sad and depressed sometimes, it takes a strong person to admit they're vulnerable. We just have to know when enough is enough and when it is time to get up off your butt and do whatever you can to change things to what you want them to be, or at least try to.

New Release on Amazon.com "Loving God While Living With Lupus"

Calvinia Williams, is a new Christian author who has prepared an inspirational

notation of love through Christ. As a survivor with lupus, her dream is to extend a loving

touch to those who are bound with guilt and confusion. This is her first book dedicated to

the love of God while living with lupus. According to the Editor, Laura " this is an

important work of love, inspiration, and hope for those living with lupus. That this author

has continued to find meaning and purpose in her life given the circumstances is truly

inspiring."

I have the same point of you about "you can always look and find someone who is worse than you" to feel blessed and look life in a positive way.
But, I also see it for the opposite... you can always look and find someone who is better than you and take the strength to move on in this life expecting things get better!

msssouth said:

Thanks for the replies. I just know how easy it can be to get overwhelmed, but you can always look and find someone who is worse of than you, we just all have our own problems. You just have to learn to do what you can about what you can, and let the stuff you can't do anything about go. Kind of like spring cleaning, LOL. You have to clean out the old stuff to make room for the new stuff. Hanging onto regrets, grudges and old anger just takes up the space you can be using to make new memories, and in the end that's all you can really leave behind, good memories. After the last couple of years I have learned that you can only do what you can do, turn the rest of it over to God, he's better equipped to deal with it. If I'm having a bad day, I will actually set the timer to brood about something, if I want to cry I can, then when the dinger goes off, it's over. I told my mother in law that here while back when she asked me how I was dealing with all this, she was skeptical and said "whatever works". She came over to check on me last week, she admitted to doing it, said it had been a long time since she had cried. It made me sad, I asked her what about when her husband died two years ago. She went on to explain that she couldn't, she had to much to do, plus the kids needed her to be strong. There is nothing wrong with showing emotion, we all get sad and depressed sometimes, it takes a strong person to admit they're vulnerable. We just have to know when enough is enough and when it is time to get up off your butt and do whatever you can to change things to what you want them to be, or at least try to.