Is this a flare?

I live in Oklahoma and yesterday we had a major cold front come through. Yesterday the high was 76, today it is 34 and raining! I felt fine yesterday and then suddenly last night (about the time the weather changed) I started feeling achy, nauseous and my lymph nodes became very tender. I had also done the treadmill earlier in the evening for the 1st time in ages. Today I'm no better, I feel like I've been beaten. Could this be a flare caused by the severe weather change, exercise or something else entirely? I've had flares before but nothing that has hit this hard and fast!

A drastic change in temps and also rain or snow starts me on a flare, so I can really relate to what you are going through....and I think that weather system is going to be here in my area tomorrow night and Friday! This winter and spring has been a roller coaster ride of very cold and drastic weather changes! Just hang in there and rest all you can..."this too shall pass"....take care :)

I can relate. The weather has not been my friend at all.

I am undiagnosed, but the very weather system you are talking about blew through here earlier this week. They only predicted winds, but Sunday night I was in a world of hurt. All my joints, my entire body, hurt horribly. I haven't often had things hurt that much before, and sure enough, the very next morning, there was RAIN, several hours of it. The weathermen were all in a tizzy over it... but I totally should have seen it coming. Usually it doesn't hit me quite that fast or quite that heavy, so with how badly it hit you, I'd say this system was just one of those nasty sorts that whallop us like a ton of bricks. Sorry to hear others are suffering from that system too!

To me, staying indoors as much as possible does the trick.

I live in Tornado Alley, OK, with my adult daughter. I have SLE and she has RA plus many other challenges.
Between us we can feel these weather changes in our bones.
Sometimes the changes will cause us to flare, ESP. snow & ice.
Take care and keep warm! I will keep you in my thoughts.
Donna

Hi

i'm no doctor but my guess would be the exercise. I know if i did the treadmill i would hurt. Hope you feel better

The changing seasons and bad weather always affects my aches and pains. When it rains I get very achey and it’s hard to walk. When we have extreme changes in temperature I feel terrible. When the weather gets better my body feels better. Bad weather definitely makes my symptoms worse, as well as the sun.

Trust your body. When it is telling you to slow it down.... do it. Your body is your barometer no matter what people call it. Have you ever been on steroids for bad flares?

I am not far from you in Texas. Yes, the weather the last few days has made me hurt so much worse. I think that is normal for those who suffer from SLE and RA.

I just went through the same thing on Sun eve. Maybe we sent it to you. It was nearly 80 Sunday when I went to bed, by Mon morn it was 60, rainy, hail and high winds. Miserable. I think this is fairly common for many of us. Same symptoms, enlarge lymph nodes, nausea, headache. For the first time ever, I barely got out of bed.

I am sorry you don't feel well, but let's hope it moves out soon and in comes the sunshine and warmth.

Hugs,

DeAnne

Yup, had that same weather front come through here, and yup, I felt it too. 70's one day, blizzard the next. I'm still feeling crummy, but I think I really overdid it the past two weeks before and am also paying for that. So much fun...... I haven't found anything to help really, just try to slow down and get more rest.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hello Renee,

Members answers to you have been so correct on instant weather changes and causing flares...so always be careful being exposed to hot or cold weather to much as it switches also the temps in our bodies to extreme one way or another.

I've just looked at your profile do you have Raynauds at all because if so weather changes knock you about even more severly...which members can vouche for besides.

I hope your feeling better now from when you posted your discussion.

Love Terri xxx

Thank you all for the support and info. I’m still sick, sickest I’ve been in a long time. I’ve been running a low grade fever, still achey and tired, nauseous and I’ve vomited several times this afternoon. I still can’t decide if its a flare or something else but I wish it would go away! The timing of it makes me lean towards a flare but I have never had one like this. Terri, I haven’t been diagnosed with Raynauds, I’ll have to read up on it. Thank you!

Renee

Hello Renee,

Sorry to hear how ill you feel and i've had quite a few flares myself without a break in between and so many can come with each one but regarding heat and cold with our bodies with Raynauds combined is a nightmare besides...there is a Raynauds group on the main page you can join and i thought this list of symptoms for a flare may help you also.

If you symptoms get stronger don't essitate on seeing a doctor straight away Renee.

Thinking of you my friend Love Terri xxx

"Signs and Symptoms of Lupus Flare"

Be aware of one or more of these symptoms:

• Persistent fatigue out of proportion with what you would usually expect
  • Persistent weakness
  • Aching all over
  • Fever, which may be slight to high (you can check your temperature yourself)
  • Persistent loss of appetite
  • Involuntary weight loss
  • Increasing hair loss
  • Recurring nose bleeds
  • Sore on the roof of the mouth, which burns with spicy foods
  • Unexplained skin rash anywhere on the body
  • Hives
  • Sores on the skin
  • Painful joint(s)
  • Swollen joint(s)
  • Stiffness of the joints when waking up in the morning
  • Chest pain which increases with breathing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Coughing up blood
  • Persistent unusual headache
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Recurring or persistent abdominal pain
  • Persistent, increasing swelling of the feet and legs
  • Puffy eyelids
  • Blood in the urine

Lupus is often a self-repetitive disease: watch for a recurrence of the symptoms that you experienced when your disease started.

I'm in Indiana, and we had 80s on Wednesday and 40s yesterday. It is most definitely the weather affecting us.... and this system is still heading east, so its not done affecting our LWL family yet...

Hello Trisha,

We keep having freezing temps here and on the news lastnight they reckon it's the arctic causing the trouble melting to quickly and they're asking our goverment to prepare we now for furthur flooding.

Roll on abit of warmth :)

I'm feeling soooo much better today!! Whatever it was is on it's way out, thank God! The aches and pains are gone, still dealing with a touch of nausea at times and a lot of fatigue and I plan on taking it easy again today. Thank you all so much for the info, support and sympathy. I know many of you were feeling the same things I was experiencing and I hope you're feeling better too! Terri, you always seem to be so on top of supplying info for everyone....Thank you so much for that! This board is such a blessing!!

Bring on Summer!!

Love, Renee

Hello Renee,

I am pleased today brought a better day your way...nausea symptoms occur anytime i do know that but hopefully it will ease.

Your welcome to the info from us all and that's what we're all here for to share our knowledge of what we suffer and thank you for the lovely complement...BLESS YOU.

Don't mention weather it's still cold as anything here.LOL

Love Terri xxx

Glad you’re feeling much better today. I am, too. Still cold, grey and rainy here, but at least no pain today. Just some nausea which may be from starting plaquenil again. I hope everyone else is feeling better, too.