Confusion $ Forgetfullness

Ok here goes.. Ive been having problems with my short term memory. I took my kids to McDonalds and on the way back home we stopped at a red light and for the life of me I couldn't remember where I was and didn't know which way to go. My kids had to tell me which way to go home because I didn't know and then the confusion set in and I still feel mildly confused. This about the 3rd or 4th time I have done that within the last year. I spoke with a lady Dr. Donna who works at UK and she told me that if it happened again this weekend to go to the Emergency room and that I need to make an appointment on Monday to see my rheumatolagist. I have also been having some short term memory loss. Dr. Donna said I could have inflamation of the blood vessells in my brain. Has anyone here ever dealt with anything like this?

Shawn

Shawn, you are not alone. My family and our friends make the joke that I could get lost going to our mailbox and back. I too have had short and some long term memory loss, cognitive deficits, and more. I will often even forget what word to bring out as I talk, or switch letters - for example blue car comes out as clue bar. At first I just thought it was my typing, but with it happening with verbal communications or handwriting, nope, it's my wires crossed.

I do agree with getting checked out. memory loss can accompany TIA, and also stroke, blood vessel involvement, be part of aura before a migraine, many brain and neuro disorders, and probably more.

It is always better to be safe than sorry. If a doctor said hit the ER if it happens again this weekend, I definitely would, but either way, your rheumy needs to know. Sometimes it can be a simple as changing dosages of meds, or adding or taking away one or more at least short term and see how you do.

Please let us know you are fine and how things are, keep us updated.

hugs,

Louise

Hello Shawn,

Like Louise stated your not alone...i can't even give you a percentage on Lupus patients who suffer this...it's what comes with Lupus also known as "Foggieness of the brain", my hubby as found me on the spot just standing there gone into another world plus we do things which was'nt even meant to be done instead of the actual thing plus it really messes with our concentration badly.

Everything we suffer and go through stems from the Central nervous system (CNS) which works everything that happens to we regarding Lupus.

I'll add some info below which explains it all clearly.

Terri :)

Thinking, Memory and Behavior

In about half of people with lupus, the disease attacks the brain and spinal cord. Lupus can also affect the peripheral nervous system, which is made up of the nerve fibers that give skin and muscles the power for feeling and movement. These developments can be very frightening and frustrating. Thankfully, there are steps a person can take to make things easier. Doctors who specialize in these complications are called "neurologists."

What is the most common kind of lupus brain involvement?
Many people with lupus—at least one in five—have trouble thinking clearly at some point and experiences memory problems, confusion, fatigue, or difficulty expressing thoughts. Called cognitive dysfunction, the condition likely occurs because blood stops flowing as smoothly to the brain as it should. This also can happen when lupus antibodies cross the "blood-brain barrier," directly damaging brain cells in areas that store memories and other important information. Cognitive dysfunction may come and go, but often steadily worsens over time.

What is "lupus fog?"
A part of cognitive dysfunction, some people with lupus get spells of "fogginess" when, for several seconds or minutes, they can not get to information that they know is in their heads. They may read the same sentence over and over again, for example. Or struggle with a normally easy task, like balancing a checkbook or dialing a familiar number.

What can be done about cognitive dysfunction and "lupus fogs?"
Reassurance from loved ones helps a lot. So can behavioral counseling, physical or speech therapy, biofeedback, techniques for relaxing the body and mind, and concentration strategies. A lupus diary can be useful to track when fogs happen and what works for dealing with them. Medicines may lessen the fatigue or depression that makes thinking hard. Doctors are learning a lot about how lupus antibodies hurt brain cells and are testing medicines for dementia that might some day help people with lupus.

Do other brain problems happen in people with lupus?
Blood flow to the brain feeds brain cells with nutrients (food) and oxygen. Strokes occur when this blood flow is interrupted and brain cells die from the lack of oxygen, causing symptoms such as tingling sensations and problems with vision, speech, and movement (including paralysis). People with lupus have a higher risk for stroke, especially the third or so who have "antiphospholipid antibodies" that make blood "sticky" and more likely to clot and stop or slow blood flow to the brain. Although uncommon, inflammation in the spinal cord or brain's blood vessels also happens with lupus and can lead to paralysis, seizures, difficulty judging reality, and loss of consciousness.

Can lupus change emotions and behavior?
Some people with lupus have mild but noticeable changes in behavior such as unusual feelings of fear or lack of fear, or loss of interest or curiosity. More commonly, the fatigue and pain of lupus is draining to the point that a person changes his or her outlook on life. Corticosteroids and other lupus medicines sometimes make matters worse by causing weepiness or other exaggerated feelings. The "emotional rollercoaster" of lupus is something that always should be discussed with a doctor.

How is lupus brain involvement diagnosed?
A doctor can do a physical examination, test blood and spinal fluid, or take imaging tests or electrical studies of the brain. These sometimes help in figuring out what is going on. But a diagnosis often is difficult to make because infection and side effects from medicines can lead to the same signs and symptoms as active brain lupus, and no single test can show without question that lupus is the cause.

Will a person with lupus and brain problems be OK?
No matter whether the problem is mild or severe, there often are effective and surprising ways of handling lupus thinking problems, memory difficulties, and behavior issues. Counseling and anti-depressant medicines help many people. Support groups are a good place to hear about ideas on concentrating better, remembering important things, and thinking more clearly. Knowing that others live with the scariness and unknowns of lupus can also make having the disease less lonely. With time and luck, the researchers hard at work figuring out what can be done to stop lupus from damaging the brain will have some solid answers.

Hi Shawn

I have had memory problems as well. When I was on Lyrica i could not remember my name. When I drove one day I had a stop light, then another one a short distance behind it, I got confused about which one to use. It really scarred me the combination of symptoms I went off the Lyrica. I have always had some short term memory loss. I too have been made fun of I called a tree a cactus I was dehydrated that day. I do think dehydration is a big problem at least for me. I now have to drink so much water or I began to to get light headed, headache, weak, I drink gatorade everyday.

Hugs

Terri

Hi I also do this they put me in the hospital for a week one time and gave me big doses of steroids I have had TIA'.s. It is most bothersome my children will finish sentences for me. My words will come out backwards all the time and I can not think of the names of things.

Oh wow. This makes me feel a little less crazy too. For the past few weeks I keep telling my boyfriend that I swear I'm losing my mind. I can't seem to remember what I'm suppose to do next at times. Like a few days ago, I was trying to leave to run some errands, and four trips back in and out of the house, I finally remembered everything I needed. Ugh. Lol. And with my limping at this time, they were slow trips in and out of the house too. Lol. But at least it makes sense some now.... :) Even if it still sucks. :)

Most of us live with this. It's called Lupus fog or brain fog. It's frustrating and can be scary, but even just being a busy mom can cause it in healthy people. They just have so many things on their mind.OH THANKS TEZ/TERRI FOR finding that info for her! I hope she can show it to her Dr.

Hang in there!
Sheila

Thanks Sheila and did you find that link you was after which you mentioned on my profile...i have'nt replyed back as i was'nt on the pc for a while?

Terri :)

Sheila W. said:

Most of us live with this. It's called Lupus fog or brain fog. It's frustrating and can be scary, but even just being a busy mom can cause it in healthy people. They just have so many things on their mind.OH THANKS TEZ/TERRI FOR finding that info for her! I hope she can show it to her Dr.

Hang in there!
Sheila