Alternative treatments

Does anyone use or have success with herbal or natural remedies to reduce inflammation?

I’ve recently been told by my stepmom (who is a PA) that black cherry juice is starting to show some anti-inflammatory properties. She said she was going to look into it a bit more a d I am going to ask my doctor next time I’m in to see her. I’d be interested to know if anyone has tried it.

I take a fish oil supplement and and aloe vera juice and I do notice a difference if I skip a day or two.

I’ve also heard about turmeric lately (which is awesome cause I use lots of it in my curry powder blend, yum) but I haven found a consensus on the optimal dosage. Does anyone know of the therapeutic dose?

Kim! You hit a subject near and dear to my heart. My body doesn't take well to lab chemicals like pharmaceuticals, cleaners, health and beauty products. And yes, When I am consistent with it, herbal and dietary measures are VERY helpful.

My regimen, after reading lots, and trial and error: (as always, check with a medical professional, whether standard, CAM or holistic first)

2-4 cups of ginger root tea per day. (is safe even for pregnant women.) Feel free to private message me for my recipe.

AVOID all nightshade plant family exposure. This includes white potatoes, tomatoes, all peppers except black and white used as cooking seasonings, eggplant, and more.

EAT CLEAN - no prefab grocery store foods, or take out. I eat organic meats and fruits and veggies whenever possible. Avoid food colorings, additives, preservatives, anything I can't pronounce. Limit meat and other proteins reasonably to protect my kidneys.

Supplements I have found useful are zinc, magnesium, and vitamin D3. If not eating much COLD water fish, also omega3's are really good for your body. (cardio vascular system, brain, nervous system...) One of my doctors swears by the micronutrients in bananas, and tells every patient to eat 1 a day. Great source of potassium among other things.

There are foods that promote inflammation, best avoided in my experience, including peanuts, sunflower seeds and oil, and for many people gluten, found in wheat products and added to many foods. I avoid known allergens, and if there is any chance I could be exposed, my buddy Benadryl is always on standby.

This is a start. I'm sure there are many other people wiser and better educated than I who can give you far more info. Good luck. I hope it helps!

hugs, Perplexed.

My inflammation and joint pain went down 85% by changing to an anti inflammatory diet. No gluten, no dairy, no egg yolks, no red meat, no processed foods. I avoid the nightshades except I do eat tomatoes. This has made it possible to focus on healing nerve pain and fatigue.

I do supplement with d3, krill oil, and magnesium.

I live in Michigan where medical marihuana is legal. Sanjay Gupta recently did a documentary in the benefits of using it instead of other prescribed medications. I know a lot of people will probably be hesitant to answer this so please send me a private message. I’m just wondering if anyone has gotten off man made drugs and tried this in addition to or stand alone from other treatments.

Curcumin (the concentrated chemical in turmeric) is a great natural anti-inflammatory. My sister with lupus and Fibro takes nothing else for pain. Fewer side effects than prescription or OTC anti-infammatories, but Google the benefits and warnings before taking, and tell your Dr.if you decide to try it, and tell him what you've learned about it because he probably won't know the first thing about a natural remedy. He can adjust any blood thinners or diabetic meds. It's also a blood thinner and lowers blood sugar levels and has a dozen other uses. It heals the stomach rather than irritating it. Helps to heal kidneys and liver as well.Mom started taking it last week. She was on morphine, and this has helped her a lot!

I have also found that taking vitamin D regularly helps my pain. I remember how much worse I was before I found vitamin D. It heals the central nervous system and I also take vitamin B complex drops that you put under your tongue so more gets into the blood stream by sinking into the vein under your tongue. It's call Sublingual vitamin B complex. Vitamin B12 helps some, but all the B vitamins are better. They help heal nerve endings so you don't feel pain as intensely.