Social Life

I have been looking for support groups in my area. I would like to regain a little bit of social life meet new people to become (friends) who understand my condition. Always with my family due to my conditions. I moved to this area (Chesapeake, VA) couple of years now and miss the friends I have known for years. Any suggestions?

I’ve been having the same problem, friends don’t understand, I can’t find a support group near me, that’s why I’m on this site. Find things you like to do and do them, you will meet people with same interests. Go to concerts or any other hobbies you like, painting group, book club or just window shopping in your favorite store. I’ve met friends like that before :slight_smile: good luck chick

What would you be doing to meet new people of you didn't have a "condition"? Do those things now and meet people. Sure not all will be willing to adjust to your limitations, but the worthwhile ones will. They may not understand lupus, but they can understand that there needs to be adjustments. When you need to talk about lupus you come here.

Thank you. I'm at home most of the time, don't feel like getting out, end up with my family and boyfriend, who are really supportive. It will be nice to be social with some women in my age group for "girl time".

Thank you Beck, I am looking at the "Meet Up" site to join a group; this should help.

Beck said:

I've been having the same problem, friends don't understand, I can't find a support group near me, that's why I'm on this site. Find things you like to do and do them, you will meet people with same interests. Go to concerts or any other hobbies you like, painting group, book club or just window shopping in your favorite store. I've met friends like that before :) good luck chick

HI,

I have been looking for social support too. Like you, I am feeling very isolated. Even mentioning anything relating to lupus seems to make people uneasy. So often I think they think I am obscessing or just complaining. When actually I am just talking about my day to day life.

This is what everyone does, but they are not dealing with a chronic illness. Balancing life is the key. It is an all day adventure that consumes most of my thing processes. I have Celiac Disease, Border line Diabetes and Lupus. I am managing my food and medicine, along with my energy level; house cleaning, work, rest, plants, dog and cat, rest. etc...

I do not have a have a family of origin to count on, and my boys are young men getting their lives started. They are kind and understanding, but I do not want to burden them with the daily things.

So, I am open to all types of conversation. Even long distance, emotional support and be felt and very healing. :)

Tracy

Thank you for sharing. This is why I don’t like being around people other than who I know. People such as strangers, would say to me “smile, you look tired or did you have a long day”. Im going to join the YMCA, near by to take water aerobic classes of which my doctor suggests. Maybe I’ll meet some people, and get to know them. Im really happy about this site. You can message me anytime.

Thank you very much. I have been off the site due to not feeling well and going to Doctor appointments.

Beck said:

I've been having the same problem, friends don't understand, I can't find a support group near me, that's why I'm on this site. Find things you like to do and do them, you will meet people with same interests. Go to concerts or any other hobbies you like, painting group, book club or just window shopping in your favorite store. I've met friends like that before :) good luck chick

I use to love going to church, dancing, movies and doing other things with a good friend. Now, I don't like to plan because I don't know how I will feel and don't want people to take the time to include me when I have to drive my own car; they don't understand why I don't ride with them.. Its because some times I get out doing something like going to the beach, but I have to leave early so I drive my own car.

Doggie said:

What would you be doing to meet new people of you didn't have a "condition"? Do those things now and meet people. Sure not all will be willing to adjust to your limitations, but the worthwhile ones will. They may not understand lupus, but they can understand that there needs to be adjustments. When you need to talk about lupus you come here.