Shoulder Surgery

I was diagnosed last year with SLE, and I am a Type 1 diabetic as well. I had surgery on my right shoulder in October for a torn rotator cuff and frozen shoulder. I was doing well for a bit after surgery but once I went to PT the therapist tried needle therapy. This was extremely painful and seemed to aggravate the progress from the surgery. Now I am having excruciating pain in my right shoulder, arm and hand. In fact, my right hand is twice the size of the left. Has anyone else experienced anything like this at all? I have had a blood clot in my left jugular in the past so I am worried that this may be the case. Have a job that makes it difficult to get away for a doctor appointment. Any advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

When you say, “needle therapy,” are you referring to accupuncture?

you should go to either a doctor or urgent care asap. It's not something to take a wait and see approach too, especially if you've had blood clots in the past.

Also could be RSD - reflex sympathetic dystrophy- as noted you need to go to a doctor to get started on appropriate treatment

I had the same thing happen after shoulder surgery, but it was a staph infection. Do get it checked out ASAP!

This amount of swelling you describe is not normal. I would urge you to seek medical attention for this as soon as possible.

Please go to your doctor or ER right away. I agree that the swelling is not normal and is indicative of something. You can't risk getting another blood clot. And I'd be damned if I went to the PT again!