Plaquenil

I started Plaquenil about a week or so ago. I was just wondering how long it has taken you to notice it working and what exactly it does for you. I know the Plaquenil doesn't help with my dad's fatigue, but helps limit his flares and inflammation. I haven't needed such long naps for the last few days and I don't know if that's the Plaquenil or something else.

The rheumy told me he's had a lot of patients complain that they have nightmares while on the Plaquenil. I haven't had nightmares, but I have the most bizarre dreams ever! Does anyone else get that? I kind of like having the weird dreams. They're so off the wall that they're funny.

Good day! I started Plaquenil 18 months ago, I was in pretty sad shape, fatigue, generalized pain, short of breathe, etc. I felt like a new woman about 7 weeks into taking it, I thought it was a miracle! Looking forward into hearing about your new therapy!

Hello Megan,

I'm on plaquenil.... did you see an opthamologist for your eyes before going on it plus you need your eyes testing every 6mths as it can cause damage to the Retina of the eye.

I did'nt feel mine working till nearly 3mths but the limit on the med is 6mths for kicking in properly but we've had members on here feel the difference slightly in less than a month it's all down to the individual.

Plaquenil is for both Discoid Lupus and also SLE and it can make you dream besides Lupus also....the drug actually does give off nightmares, as i had two several nights back and i got up.lol plus being a none steriod it's known for making you lose weight which i did.

Here's a link about plaquenil and side affects besides one about the eyes also :)

http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/plaquenil/plaquenil-side-effects.html

http://vision.about.com/od/eyeexaminations/a/Plaquenil-And-Your-Eye...

http://www.sw-eng.com/plaquenil-eyes.html

Yep, they're watching my eyes. My dad's on Plaquenil and had an eye scare so they're keeping close tabs on me. Turns out his lupus just attacked his eyes and vision and it wasn't related to Plaquenil at all, but they're still watching the both of us.

Thanks for the info.

Last night I dreamed about sharks. The night before that was about Walmart and a shoot-out, but in the end the "bad guys" were just shooting blanks. It's the most random stuff! lol

Hi Megan,

I am pleased they're watching you both and such a shame about your dad and the Lupus attacking his eyes...sounds unusual.

Your welcome mate but Lupus can make we dream besides so figgering out which one causes them can turn out to be a nightmare, just go through the motions and wake up.lol

Weird dreams Megan and no wonder your laughing about it but how you can remember what you dreamt, years back i could but not now it's like my heads blank from them when i wake, so weird.

My dad always has really weird things happen related to his lupus. He's an anomaly.

I have no idea how I remember my dreams, but I've been able to ever since I was a kid.

Megan your being cruel now mate calling your dad an anomaly.lol

Lupus is weird in general with how it strikes plus it's how it's running in the blood steam besides strength.

Well you must have a good memory where those are concerned, on some things i could go mad as i used to be spot on and now i'm terrible with alot of issues...i think it's bad how it strips our marbles. lol

My problem with plaquenil is the side affect of uncontrollable diarrhea. I can't leave the house while taking it. Because I work I had to stop taking my meds. My rheumy told me to try cutting back and slowly increasing the dosage, but even the smallest amount of it sends me to the bathroom within an hour and continues throughout the day. I have discontinued taking it, but haven't talked to my rheumy about it yet. I feel stuck in between a rock and a hard place as to what I can do do feel better. I have increased my vitamens, and now take Estrovin which seems to be helping with my sweating and excessive skin reddening, but I am finding it hard to keep even a part-time job. I don't expect any miracles, just needed to vent. :)

I'm sorry you had such a bad side effect. :( I hope they find something that works for you.

lol said:

My problem with plaquenil is the side affect of uncontrollable diarrhea. I can't leave the house while taking it. Because I work I had to stop taking my meds. My rheumy told me to try cutting back and slowly increasing the dosage, but even the smallest amount of it sends me to the bathroom within an hour and continues throughout the day. I have discontinued taking it, but haven't talked to my rheumy about it yet. I feel stuck in between a rock and a hard place as to what I can do do feel better. I have increased my vitamens, and now take Estrovin which seems to be helping with my sweating and excessive skin reddening, but I am finding it hard to keep even a part-time job. I don't expect any miracles, just needed to vent. :)

Eh, my dad knows he's a weirdo. I get that weirdness factor from him too. lol.

My dreams are very vivid so it could be part of the reason why I remember them. I remember dreams, but some days I can't even spell my name. Lupus is so bizarre.

Tez_20 said:

Megan your being cruel now mate calling your dad an anomaly.lol

Lupus is weird in general with how it strikes plus it's how it's running in the blood steam besides strength.

Well you must have a good memory where those are concerned, on some things i could go mad as i used to be spot on and now i'm terrible with alot of issues...i think it's bad how it strips our marbles. lol

Hello lol,

Consistant diarrhea could actually be an allergy to the drug besides a side affect...i do know i could'nt live from day to day toilet bound...i know if that happened to me i'd soon be intouch wanting off the med.

Regarding your skin reddening have you tried steriod creams to see if that helps....i really do feel for you mate as you sound so stressed out and vent away, we're all here to help one another.

Hugs Terri xxx

lol said:

Hello Megan,

Your dad might be a weirdo but having your daughter confirm it on top is'nt to good...your making me laugh i hope you know at the statements about your poor dad who can't even back himself up.

I can remember past issues good but not dreams but like you say i'm quick at forgetting if my hubby wants a cuppa and it is'nt bizarre how Lupus treats we, it's sick....no wonder i'm on the pop all the time just coping tea emoticon lol :)

Terri, you make me smile. :)

Well i dream of my old whisky when i look in that cup of tea every 15mins roughly big smile emoticon

Ballerina8876 said:

Terri, you make me smile. :)

Just reading your post about shark dreams and laughed. Last night mine was killer pet crocodiles… :slight_smile:

Ballerina8876 said:

Yep, they’re watching my eyes. My dad’s on Plaquenil and had an eye scare so they’re keeping close tabs on me. Turns out his lupus just attacked his eyes and vision and it wasn’t related to Plaquenil at all, but they’re still watching the both of us.

Thanks for the info.

Last night I dreamed about sharks. The night before that was about Walmart and a shoot-out, but in the end the “bad guys” were just shooting blanks. It’s the most random stuff! lol