My Story

I have never told my story so here it is. In October 1998 I have both knees replaced. I lived in Ardmore, OK then. I decided to send for the surgery report to put in my medical records. When I got it, I saw for the diagnosis "RA" but was never told this. I took the report to my primary Dr. here in Fl and told him I didn't know I had RA. He sent me to a rheumatologist group to have this checked out. Of course the Dr. there took a lot of blood work and when I returned two weeks later, he told me I had lupus. I told him that was impossible--that women my age didn't get lupus because that was a young person's diagnosis! He said that any age person can have lupus. I went back to my primary Dr. and told him I had been miss-diagnosed with lupus, so he sent me to another Rheumatologist that was very knowledgeable treating lupus. After a lot of blood work--same diagnosis, so I had to accept that I had lupus which explained the symptoms I was having. Then I was given the diagnosis of "fibro". I thought all the symptoms I was having was caused from aging. I see I am battling the same symptoms that I read that so many of you have. I have a lot of pain, fatigue, and breaking out on my face that the dermatologist said was "rosesea." Forgive my spelling of the word. Anyway I am now on Plaquenil which is helping. You never know what life is going to throw at you! I'm just glad I have my Christian faith to lean on. Thanks for listening.

Misty,

Thanks for sharing your story. I was diagnosed at 49, so I understand how you feel. Its a shock, but then all the unexplained symptoms I had started to make sense. I'm glad you're here with our LWL family.

Similar story with me. Only I was diagnosed at age 64. So much for a young person’s disease. It also explained lots of symptoms for lots of years.

Sounds a bit like me too. I was finally diagnosed at 64 because I had the bright red malar rash. Years ago they said I had lupus like symptoms, but they didn't want to use the word lupus. So they said I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I even took plaquenil for years, they took me off 8 years ago when they thought it caused a heart problem???

So now I am back on Plaquenil and my neck and back are falling apart!

You are not alone!

geneva21 said:

Sounds a bit like me too. I was finally diagnosed at 64 because I had the bright red malar rash. Years ago they said I had lupus like symptoms, but they didn't want to use the word lupus. So they said I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I even took plaquenil for years, they took me off 8 years ago when they thought it caused a heart problem???

So now I am back on Plaquenil and my neck and back are falling apart!

You are not alone!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I look back over the years and remember the different symptoms I had that the Dr. had no explanation for and wonder if I had lupus then. I'll never know. I'm just glad that no damage to major organs has occurred and so sorry for those that have not been as fortunate. I'm glad I found this site and am learning so much by reading your discussions. My prayer are for all of you struggling with this unkind disease!

Wow!!! I feel that we always know that 2is better than one, but there is something that comes to our first mind, that says that is was is Really happening ! My grandmother, god bless her soul, would always say , That is God talking to you-listen…Beverly l.

Beverly L. said:

Wow!!!! I feel that we always know that 2is better than one, but there is something that comes to our first mind, that says that is was is Really happening ! My grandmother, god bless her soul, would always say , That is God talking to you-listen....Beverly l.