My rheumatologist doesnt think my dizzy spells, severe fatigue and brain fog are related to my lupus/sjogrens overlap syndrome

Lilac83 said:

Yes, I agree. Inflammation somewhere in the body (yes, maybe inner ear?) whether or not lupus or sjogrens, it's autoimmune in general so it all ties in.

Lupus Husband said:

It has been interesting to read everyone's comments on dizziness. My wife has had so many symptoms over the years, and that was definitely one of them. She actually had all that Lilac83 had mentioned, and more. While I am not a doctor, I have done a lot of study on this to be aware of how my wife's Lupus is affecting her, and I have a very straightforward thought on this. Lupus is a disease of inflammation. Dizziness is a function of an issue with the fluid in the inner ear. I see absolutely no reason why a localized inflammation would not cause an issue with the fluid in the inner ear, especially when in review of many of the comments above that the condition subsided with the use of anti-inflammatory medications.

I do get low blood pressure and also have to eat a lot of salt at times. Very interesting that you said that. There are other times, I'm dizzy and my bp is normal. But yes, I get issues with low bp.

gladmari said:

Have you checked your blood pressure?When ever I feel like that I check my blood pressure and it will probably be low.The only way I can bring it up is by eating something with lots of salt.

When i eat alot of foods that arent raw like even the night before i wake with brain fog… i ate a gluten free tomato pie last night and i had b.fog bad.pms makes it worse too i heard before people with lupus can only have a raw diet they dont have enough enzymes to brrak down food so when u eat a diet of raw food thats pure enzymes enzyme heal and repair parts in the body that needs repaired. Eating late and before bed is a big trigger of brain fog for me in the morning God bless u sometimes docs dont get it

I get low pressure too. Salt sometimes blows me up though

I was thinking more on the subject, to me brain fog and blurred vision have always gone together, my earlier thinking was the brain was starved of glucose, which it needs to function properly, so that is why you have this reaction with people who have hypoglycemia, or insulin resistance. Another possible cause is blood flow to the brain, restricted by a blockage of the tow arteries in the neck. With SLE lupus it might be imflamation causing a restriction of the blood flow,in the arteries, and small capillaries that feed the brain cells. SLE can also produce antibodies that attach the brain cells themselves, but that is probably rarer and would do lasting damage. The symptoms for me at least seem temporary and coincide with flares so that would seem to be more of a blood flow issue. They do ave a imaging test for this, using a Radioactive marker,(sounds like fun) that will show blood flow in the brain, but they are just beginning the research into it.
My Neurologist diagnosed me with Polyneuropathy, possibly caused by SLE lupus. I guess this would indicate NPSLE (Neuropsychiatric)…

Jon_sparky said:
I was thinking more on the subject, to me brain fog and blurred vision have always gone together, my earlier thinking was the brain was starved of glucose, which it needs to function properly, so that is why you have this reaction with people who have hypoglycemia, or insulin resistance. Another possible cause is blood flow to the brain, restricted by a blockage of the tow arteries in the neck. With SLE lupus it might be imflamation causing a restriction of the blood flow,in the arteries, and small capillaries that feed the brain cells. SLE can also produce antibodies that attach the brain cells themselves, but that is probably rarer and would do lasting damage. The symptoms for me at least seem temporary and coincide with flares so that would seem to be more of a blood flow issue. They do ave a imaging test for this, using a Radioactive marker,(sounds like fun) that will show blood flow in the brain, but they are just beginning the research into it.
My Neurologist diagnosed me with Polyneuropathy, possibly caused by SLE lupus. I guess this would indicate NPSLE (Neuropsychiatric)...
Here is a article on the research, it is pretty technical, but my brain is functioning at the moment... http://www.lupus-and-me.com/Brain-Fog.php

I also suffer from fatigue and dizziness, brain fog. I also have Lupus/Sjogrens/RA. My Rheumatologist also told me that I can't blame Lupus for everything, but I do! I find if I keep hydrated and maintain a good B12 and Vit. D level it helps with both. It is crazy when you forget what you are talking about in the middle of your sentence or you forget how to spell the word the, or something simple . Check you B12 level, it helps with neuron transmission. Good luck.

Hi

I'm so glad many of you say you have trouble spelling a simple word. I thought it was just me or old age.

I think staying hydrated is best. I;m not one to be drinking all the time but I do the best I can.

Have a Marry Christmas everyone.

Cindy

Me too. I also follow gluten free for this reason. Yes, I agree with you! Doctors sometimes don't understand.

janelle said:

When i eat alot of foods that arent raw like even the night before i wake with brain fog.. i ate a gluten free tomato pie last night and i had b.fog bad.pms makes it worse too i heard before people with lupus can only have a raw diet they dont have enough enzymes to brrak down food so when u eat a diet of raw food thats pure enzymes enzyme heal and repair parts in the body that needs repaired. Eating late and before bed is a big trigger of brain fog for me in the morning God bless u sometimes docs dont get it

I've often wondered why they don't order a brain angiogram to check my blood flow. Thanks for the article.
Jon_sparky said:

Jon_sparky said:
My Neurologist diagnosed me with Polyneuropathy, possibly caused by SLE lupus. I guess this would indicate NPSLE (Neuropsychiatric)...
Here is a article on the research, it is pretty technical, but my brain is functioning at the moment... http://www.lupus-and-me.com/Brain-Fog.php

We who have lupus usually have several other things going on, so i will give the doc that much, it could be something else…but maybe its not…of course this could just be the lupus. Why a doc would deny any symptom is beyond me. Have you ever been tested for candida? And do you have all of your hormones balanced? Before I started hormones, omg, Sitting up was too much of an effort for me. Oh, also, vitamin D, i take 5k units per day and it makes a big difference. Just some food for thought.