Methotrexate sickness

I have been taking Methotrexate once a week for about 5 weeks now, and I experience terrible nausea the day after treatment. Anyone else dealing with that? What can I do to keep from getting sick?

From what I understand, this is very common. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't get sick from it. I know that sometimes an anti-nausea medicine is prescribed... have you called your rheumy about it? He/she or their nurse might have some suggestions or instructions. (Since it IS common, they won't be surprised or irritated to hear from you, I wouldn't think.)

The last time I mentioned this to my doc, he said it was common, it will probably get better, and to drink a lot of water so as not to get dehydrated. I will ask about the anti-nausea meds.

I started taking it about 2 months ago. For the first 4-6 weeks I had that problem, the 2nd day after I took it. Then, that suddenly stopped and I'm suddenly starting to feel more like my old self than I have in years. Literally years! I hated the idea of taking this drug, I hated feeling sick at first, but I'm glad I stuck it out because I'm finally starting to feel like a productive member of my family again!

I started taking it a month ago 3 times a week, and now I have been having hart palpitations, bad stomach pain, nausea and extreme swelling. Have anyone experience these symptoms?

I have the same thing on day two, but I’ve only been taking it for two weeks. I am hopeful I will have results like Mrs Doolittle in a few months! Also, my doc prescribed folic acid as well, she said it helps with the side effects! Denise, I’d report these symptoms to ur Dr ASAP, better safe than sorry!

I also have been taking MTX for a few months and find that the nausea and stomach upset have improved over time. I also take folic acid daily to help with the side effects.

Oh yes, I forgot to say I take folic acid also! Thanks for the reminder.

Kari said:

I have the same thing on day two, but I've only been taking it for two weeks. I am hopeful I will have results like Mrs Doolittle in a few months! Also, my doc prescribed folic acid as well, she said it helps with the side effects! Denise, I'd report these symptoms to ur Dr ASAP, better safe than sorry!

LOL, I forgot to mention the folic acid as well! Oy, where was my head?

I had horrible nausea with the pill even when I took phenergan and zofran for nasea. I asked my dr for injectable and that fixed it. It is so much easier now. I have a blah day and then my energy is back. Hope you feel better!!

thanks guys! sounds like I need folic acid, and some patients.

I still get sick from methotrexate as well so i started separating the dose and take one or two a night before bed rather then the whole dose at once

i inject it every 5 days ..i had the tablets but that made my tummy upset changing was i god sent i inject myself so i dont have to wait with sick pll lol and i take folic acid ,, try the injection...if not for that i would not be able to move my hands

good luck with this kindest regard sue

i have been on this for 1 1/2 years

Dolly said:

i inject it every 5 days ..i had the tablets but that made my tummy upset changing was i god sent i inject myself so i dont have to wait with sick pll lol and i take folic acid ,, try the injection...if not for that i would not be able to move my hands

good luck with this kindest regard sue

Hi Julie K, Methotrexate made me EXTREMELY nauseous and even more fatigued than I already was, so after several weeks I stopped it. As you can see by the responses to your post, med reactions are all over the place. Just depends on the person, the med and dose. I have heard that Zofran works well for many, but I have not taken it. Time to talk to your doctor as it's no good (miserable!) to be nauseous. All the best to you and I hope to hear you solved this problem, and soon! LupanCatwoman

I take the injection form of methotrexate which still was making me nauseated the next morning (but was still better than the pills). I then started taking 25 mg of Benadryl at the same time as my weekly methotrexate dose which I take at night. Bendryl is an antihistamine that can also help with nausea. It works great but makes you tired. I recently forgot to take the Benadryl and had the nausea the next morning.

Yes, and zofran (prescription for nausea) does work great too. Had to use this early on during treatment! You may want to ask your doc to prescribe this if needed. One tablet always did the trick.

Hope you find something that works for you! It does get a bit better as time goes on.

It made me horribly sick so I went to injectable plus I take leucovorin 12 hours later. I still don't feel great for the first 24-48 hours, but then I'm like a new person. I missed my injection last week & have been a mess this week... severe pain & low energy. It's worth sticking it out & seeing what else your Dr suggests. Mine is considering a different chemo drug to see if I respond better, but right now I feel like one horrible day in exchange for 6 good ones is a fair trade. Blessings to you!