Hello there

I’m fairly new to the site and I haven’t really had much interaction with other lupus patients. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I’m still finding it very difficult to cope.

I’ve been doing well for awhile now and recently I have been working more (waitressing) and these long hours on my feet have been really tiring. My joints are always inflamed after work especially after a long week I just feel weak and tired. It’s come to the point where ill just burst out crying before I have work because I know what the outcome will be like. I’ve tried yoga and I’m currently on naproxen as well as other vitamins.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions or maybe just some support.

Hello Megan, I find that over working the body isn’t good for lupus patients even on days you feel well. I try my best to keep my days balanced. I too stay tired especially after a long days work. Sometimes I’m so tired after work I get home and have to get in the bed…learn what your body can handle and what your body can’t. Some lupus patients can’t work due to extreme fatigue. Good luck!!

Megan

I understand how you are feeling! It is very difficult to have a job where you are on your feet the whole day! A good cry never hurts anyone! However bubbles is right! You have to understand what your body is telling you and you must learn how much you can handle with this disease! Maybe working only a few days a week or last hours a day might be the right thing. I pushed and pushed my body for years and did not listen and now I am paying for it! We all have to make decision we don’t want to make! But those decision may just make us feel better!

Best of luck and I will be praying for you!

Deenie

Hi Megan,

I'm a newbie lupie myself. Only diagnosed one year ago. It seems my fatigue and pain keep steadily increasing. If I overdo, I feel much worse for days after. I so wanted to be one of those that gets better with meds. It's very depressing not to be able to do the things I loved to do. But, I'm hoping by allowing myself to slow down and listen to my body, I might reclaim some of those pain free, busy days.

I am fortunate enough to not have to work right now. But, my advice to anyone who works and is suffering is to not work anymore than you have to, and if necessary, sit down with the boss and explain your limitations.

Wishing you health and happiness,

Adrienne

Ditto Bubbles and Deenie. I will it’s very frustrating to not be able go like you use to young or old. You will learn you limits, waitressing Megan, I could not imagine it. Crying, we have all done at some point, but when your are done dust yourself off and know that no one knows your body better than you. Feel free to come here to ask question, vent or share. We really understand what you are going through hang in there.

Sherita

Hi Megan

I can't handle being on my feet anymore, and I'm having to change jobs. I had to give up all my high heels, and dressy shoes for more practical ones. I'm fortunate to have a brother in law who is a foot pro at a specialty shoe store. I elevate my feet, and I wear loose fitting diabetic socks as well.

Thank you guys so much. Just reading all of your comments really helps. I quit my job today as I went into work yesterday feeling horrible. Naproxen really hurts my stomach and I was vomiting while I was at work and my bosses wouldn’t send me home. I had a long talk with my mother and I really need to slow myself down. I think it’s time for me to get out of the restaurant industry. My health is way too important. I guess it’s time to look for an office job

Hi Megan,

I found Lupus inflammation occurs when we are over stressing our joints with activities. If you are waitressing, then you are stressing your joints from standing bending, etc. Ask your doctor of maybe some OTC joint supplements can help or can you become a cashier, or changing positions to something more office orientated?

The only thing different I might suggest is to talk with your doctor about pain patches to use for the pain. Not everyone can tolerate them. I am on a new kind and the dose is way too low so I am getting no relief but it is how everyone has to start out.

Oh Sweetie, my heart just goes out to you. I am so glad you decided to quit the job. Maybe you can find one that allows you to sit a lot of the time. Take care of yourself! You are #1 ! I really liked the suggestion of using ginger..am going to try that!

Hi Megan, I think you made the right decision. I can't imagine waitressing with lupus. I am going though the same thing with my job. I decided to take a sick leave as I was missing 2-3 days of work every week and the days I did work I just came home and slept. In the mornings I would cry from the exhaustion, pain and knowing that I was giving 100% of my energy to my work and none to my family or myself. I have an appointment to talk to my doctor about disability, I am afraid because so many people seem to be denied but I have reached a point where I know I just can't do it anymore.

Take Care and focus on getting some rest,

Meg

Megan...Glad you quit the waitressing job. I know tips are great...but so are having your joints working in your 30's and 40's. There is an article a girl with lupus wrote about spoons that basically tells what lupus is like...for people who don't have it...and I hope you can find it somewhere...for you and your family to read. It's a good article...maybe someone on here can find it for you. You cannot push yourself with lupus...without something in your own body paying a consequence...be it your joints, nausea, or the symptoms moving to an area they hadn't bothered prior to the push. The old saying..."slow and steady wins the race...fast fell down and broke his face" is almost a maxim for lupus sufferers. Waitressing is a physically challenging job...I did it at a point in my life...and my daughter did too...so I know. Lupus is a physically and mentally challenging disease. Some challenge is a good thing...but not THAT much. One of the medications that seems to help me quite a bit is placquenil....and it is one with few side affects so if you haven't tried that yet...ask your dr. if it is okay for you to try. My rheumatologist also told me to try DHEA...as it supports the immune system and gives you a bit of an energy boost. I find both of these beneficial. I think I will try the ginger too...as my joints DO get achy as can be. Good luck to you...hope you get some nice long remission periods to feel better in.

Once again thanks for all the support and suggestions everyone. I’m so glad I have finally made the decision to leave the food service industry after 7 years. The ginger works wonders. I have always used it for upset stomachs today I used it in a bath. It was a great detox bath and really soothed my joints.

The spoonie article
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

This is by far the best explanation of lupus I have ever read. I sent it to a few close friends and family. It really helped them to understand.

I am really looking forward to some time off. I’m going to give yoga a try and where can i get DHEA? I’ve heard some good things and would like to see if it helps. I perfer the natural remedies and supplements as oppose to taking pain medication and steriods

Did you know naproxen can cause depression? One of the side effects and I seen it really make people very sad and life much harder. But i agree your job with RA must be hard and even best shoes will only help so much. Though i do hope you have podiatrist on your team of doctors as they can help so much more than most people realize.

Can you switch to a job where you sit part of your working day? You might look into being retrained instead of going on SSDI or while you on even your state disability. Ask your doctor about this...like medical transcriptionist or court reporters....i believe both only take less than year to pass..i know medical transcriptionist does and many work from home. This is one job they cannot outsource too!

Just an idea but i know both state and feds rather have us working as would most of us since we make more money than on SSDI and both pay enough you could live on your own as i have friends who are both and live fine ...even really well depends on area. Just a idea hope it helps.

Megan, this is a wonderful explanation and thank you so much for sending this to the group. I have already forwarded this to many people.

Vocational Rehab is available to help with place disabled with jobs, and job training. This is the next step for me, while I'm trying to appeal my SSDI. I worked in a warehouse, on my feet and heavy lifting all day.

Congrats on finding ways to prioritize your health, and I’m impressed you are managing ok with just naproxen and vitamins but concerned you may want to look at more treatment of the underlying disease? I mean aside from lifestyle changes to support your best well-being, which is fundamental to any medical treatment working, but with lupus your body already has an established attack on itself at the cellular level, which usually requires immunosuppression to contain it and hopefully start a good remission when you can get back off the drugs and manage by lifestyle! I learned something that really made me think twice about my tendency to avoid starting drugs for fear of always being on them, from a rheumatologist I used to work for (in an office job, coordinating clinical research studies for autoimmune diseases! More on the potential horrors of office jobs in the next paragraph!), who is a regional lupus expert on the west coast, MD/PhD from Yale and a nice guy with fantastic patient manner and listening skills to boot (Stanford Peng at Virginia Mason Med Ctr in Seattle.) He explained that early, aggressive treatment (within the first year of diagnosis if at all possible, or as soon as possible thereafter) actually reduces the likelihood of needing chronic immunosuppression, steroids and even symptomatic management (like naproxen, which has many of its own problems, as you’ve experienced!)… And it does this (with extensive bew evidence in current lupus research, which is happening even though it isn’t leading to many new drug options for us yet! Support the LFA/Lupus Awareness Month!) by increasing the chances of a good, stable remission! Then plaquenil is important long-term to prevent flares/relapses and manage low-grade disease activity. My personal leaning towards natural health approaches has me convinced that in milder or more stable cases, anti-inflammatory diets and supplementation with a very moderated lifestyle (working less or flexibly from home, very low personal stress with excellent exercise, social and mental wellness, etc…) could contain the disease very well once it’s first put into remission. I think my case isn’t a candidate for lifestyle-only management, because I had already adopted the anti-inflammatory diet several years before I was diagnosed (to deal with early symptoms, and it DID help and I stick to it vigilantly especially now that my disease has worsened so much!) and even seriously overhauled my stress and commitment level when I graduated college (see my post on Dobby’s work at home thread for more on that…)

So, I think you’re totally on the right track to look for compatible work options, I encourage you to discuss with your rheumie what level of lupus treatment (not just symptom control, but immune-modulating treatment, which in some cases is just plaquenil, others low-dose steroids in short or continued courses, others, like me, cytotoxics or biologics)… AND I caution you against thinking an office day-job is the answer! You will be paid so much less per hour than you’re used to making, sitting at a desk for long hours hurts plenty as well (for me, MORE than being on my feet a lot, though a mix of the two and absolute choice when to sit and rest versus walk around is the key!) and the fluorescent lights and even computer screens will shower you with extra UV that will make your lupus worse over time even if it doesn’t give you an acute reaction… Worst of all, you may have an uptight boss or jealous/insensitive co-workers who thwart your attempts to have a feasible schedule and appropriate accommodations (just like at the restaurant; but this boss is in charge of ALL you earn instead of just the non-tipped portion, and may treat you as such with that level of controllingness!) It might not be bad like that at all, but I worked at a quite understanding place (autoimmune research center! But I didn’t know yet I had the disease myself and was not asking for accommodations or able to explain why I was out sick or late so often!) and I was experiencing significant pressure, strain, pain, sense of failure, worsening symptoms, and many other issues encountered in a 9-5 even by healthy people! So, be wary of what to expect from office work, and above even the work area itself look at how the company and employees operate and what your day to day work-flow will be like. And know you still may not be able to keep up as well as you hope… I had an ideal work-flow of 50-50 standing/walking vs. sitting time, fairly good choice of when to do which, understanding, supportive coworkers who heard me and helped me sort through my mounting health problems with plenty of knowledge and compassion to share, generous vacation hours and sick-pay practices and good advocacy from my boss to utilize it… And I still couldn’t hack it anymore. I left voluntarily to move to CA with hopes of returning to school (was gonna be med school, till I figured out why I was getting so sick and beaten down and that it wouldn’t just go away… So I altered my course and will do a master’s in SLP instead), but honestly I knew I was letting them down a bit and over stretching myself a lot to try to keep up. I never even sought similar employment after I moved, for one because I got sicker, and in light of all that knowing I wouldn’t make it through the first 3 months of the “trial period” without vacation or sick leave. That means not only no sick pay, but no LEAVE to be sick without being subject to disciplinary action, which after more absences than they’re ok with (like one or maybe 2 days in 3 months of full-time work!) would result in not being hired after the initial review period (aka, fired, and without disability or even unemployment, since you weren’t a regular permanent employee yet!) I personally see lupus as a gift to get me OFF the corporate day-job track, because it’s one of the most subtly exploitative industries to work in. Best of luck, but I hope you follow Dobby’s lead!

Whatever you decide about any of the above, you’re doing great because you’re acknowledging and fighting for what your body and mind need… Don’t let ANYone imply you are a quitter or a failure, because you’re actually strategically winning a war by accepting defeat in some uphill battles like inappropriate work, or on some previously-held ideals such as me accepting major pharma intervention after years of trying to detox from it (childhood overuse of antibiotics, processed food, lack of breast feeding, and overexposure to sun on the false sense of security of “all-day waterproof” chemical sunscreens are the other 3 factors in initiating my lupus… Aka, that one lump factor called being born into 1980s USA!) Don’t let jerks or societal factors hold you back from winning your war! Great job, and thanks for role-modeling for us!

Faladora, you are totally correct about the office type jobs. It is not easy and the infighting alone will put one over the edge. All your points were valid and I would like to mention overhead vents that are always recirculating air. It caused me so much pain that I could hardly make it thru most days.

KarenK said:

Megan...Glad you quit the waitressing job. I know tips are great...but so are having your joints working in your 30's and 40's. There is an article a girl with lupus wrote about spoons that basically tells what lupus is like...for people who don't have it...and I hope you can find it somewhere...for you and your family to read. It's a good article...maybe someone on here can find it for you. You cannot push yourself with lupus...without something in your own body paying a consequence...be it your joints, nausea, or the symptoms moving to an area they hadn't bothered prior to the push. The old saying..."slow and steady wins the race...fast fell down and broke his face" is almost a maxim for lupus sufferers. Waitressing is a physically challenging job...I did it at a point in my life...and my daughter did too...so I know. Lupus is a physically and mentally challenging disease. Some challenge is a good thing...but not THAT much. One of the medications that seems to help me quite a bit is placquenil....and it is one with few side affects so if you haven't tried that yet...ask your dr. if it is okay for you to try. My rheumatologist also told me to try DHEA...as it supports the immune system and gives you a bit of an energy boost. I find both of these beneficial. I think I will try the ginger too...as my joints DO get achy as can be. Good luck to you...hope you get some nice long remission periods to feel better in.

What is DHEA?

Hi, well, not much that can be done if you want to contine to work . I know how it is , being a waitress was my job also (20+) years and having to stop doing what I liked for so long was a big adjustment for me, but it was something that I had to do!!! It was causing to much Pian for me , along with other issues , I miss working so very much -sometimes I still cry -it has been since 2008, that I last worked. Hope you think about your health…Beverly L.