Exercise and stress reduction! Please post what helps you

So, I began looking into getting moving more, after reading a few posts here at Life with Lupus explaining how much better they all felt when they do more than sit about and as I call it, vegetate. I follow several members blogs and posts as they are experienced and what they have to say is wise and important.

One lady's blog stood out as helpful. The knowledgeable Ann A. Go here to read her post about using Chinese techniques for better wellness, it contains a link to a useful book, as well as two helpful videos:

http://forum.lifewithlupus.org/profiles/blogs/using-traditional-chinese-techniques-to-release-the-healer-within

Many of us have joint issues, and need low impact activities. This link will take you offsite, so either copy and past into a new browser tab or window, or if on a PC you can right click and choose to open in another tab.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/taichi/a/tai_chi.htm

I'm very interested in talking with my physical therapist, who suggested Tai Chi to me long ago, and uses it himself. Qi Gong is another option, and deals more with energy flow in your body, but still is moving meditation. Often we can look to older cultures and their healthy practices to help ourselves. I keep the attitude that I will try anything once. If it doesn't sit well with my body, mind or spirit, I move on.

Please post anything you have found useful, that keeps you going. We can all learn from one another!

Thanks for posting this Louise, I have more energy after I walk and I sleep better which is one of my main goals. I'm interested in hearing how Tai Chi helps you..

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes once I can move again Trisha. Starting PT again Wednesday! The locked up hip has me pretty well at a standstill.

My understanding of Tai Chi though is it uses poses that change into another and breath control, almost like a slow motion dance, and helps with mindfulness, regulating blood pressure, stretching and strengthening, balance issues with your body, and more. It is normally practiced in groups, outdoors. It is less strenuous than most yoga practices, and easier on the joints and connective tissues but you have to be able to tolerate standing for the duration.

I may have mentioned this GET MOVING help somewhere here before, but as it is very useful, I will risk repeating it.

There are literally thousands of DVD's and also free online videos that are aimed at either seniors, or those of us who are less able to tolerate high impact or fast moving or strenuous exercsie. You can look when in a local store for the DVD's or online at a retailer, usually all the book venders have them. Areas I have found covered include chair yoga, tai chi, qi gong, pilates (for those better in shape), and walking.

Though not a huge you tube fan, it is a wealth of helpful free videos. Sometimes you have to let a short ad in the beginning run, but it is worth it if your budget is tight, as it is for many of us. Simply add favrites you find to your browser's bookmarks, or create a google account, and it will allow you to save what you like to your page on you tube.

Another help to get me moving when better able, is to play music I love. I either play upbeat CD's, or turn on a music channel on cable in a genre that I like. Choose your own favs! This way, I find myself not only getting a fewthings accomplished, but am dancing and singing my way through chores. (I set a timer because with no sense of time, I will end up over doing.)

Once used to moving more, there are more activities open to us for stretching and movement. I love to garden! If you can tolerate the chlorine and don't have lung issues, water walking and exercise and swimming are very easy on our joints. If you have the strength and endurance, hiking well made trails gets you out in nature, so a double YAY! Even if in the city, most have parks of some size with smooth walking trails. If over 50, many community centers offer exercise classes for seniors, but will often bend the rule on the age if you are dealing with serious health challenges.

One word of caution: always check with your care team to see what might be safe and appropriate for you to do. If heart or lungs are involved in your disease process, you don't want to stress your body and create a flare! Start slow. Do at what is a comfortable pace for you.