Does anyone have an itchy scalp from hydroxychloroquin or plaquenil

After starting the initial 3 mos. with hydroxychloroquin, one side of the back of my scalp started to itch. I mentioned it to my doc and she said she didnt know of any connection. Asked another doc (both rheummies)- same reply. Then I googled it and seems some people do itch.

Hi when I started the meds last year I had very dry skin all over. I used coconut oil it helped a lot. I now put coconut oil in my hair 20 minutes before I shampoo massage gently the scalp. And shampoo out. It smells great and nourishes the skin and hair. I do the every so often not every shampoo just to be clear.
I hope this helps:)

I didn't even think about why my scalp itches so bad. I blamed it on another change in my body. I will have to see about the coconut oil or something else.

Hmm, interesting. I do have itching scalp myself from time to time. I do not take either of those medications, however. I tend to associate it with my hair loss. Either just before I go through a spurt of loss, or shortly after. ::shrugs:: I could be wrong, of course. The hows and whys of these things are infuriatingly mysterious.

I'm not keen on the smell of coconut though... does anyone have an alternative? ::curious::

I ended up going to the dermatologist today. She thinks it’s not from the drug…thinks it’s seborrhea! Funny how all these never before things crop up with Lupus. Anyway…she gave me a prescription for a shampoo and some other solution to apply. Hope this does the trick…as hydroxychloroquin has been a Godsend and didn’t want that to have been the cause.

That is good news, Steen. I hope the seborrhea resolves easily.

My father-in-law used peanut oil on his head. That might be an alternative to the coconut oil.
Talencia said:

Hmm, interesting. I do have itching scalp myself from time to time. I do not take either of those medications, however. I tend to associate it with my . Either just before I go through a spurt of loss, or shortly after. ::shrugs:: I could be wrong, of course. The hows and whys of these things are infuriatingly mysterious.

I'm not keen on the smell of coconut though... does anyone have an alternative? ::curious::

The doc says the seborrhea is an inflammatory thing.

I also have an itchy scalp at times. Mine started even before I was diagnosed with Lupus. I always wondered what could be wrong. I do take hydrocloriquine, but like I said it has occurred even before Lupus. I just blamed it on Lupus after I was diagnosed. I use olive oil, coconut oil and a mosturizing shampoo.

Just to note I always ask the pharmacist about side effects and interactions before starting a medication . they are much better informed about those issues than the doctors. Hope that helps god bless Julie

I noticed the back of my scalp itching for no apparent reason after I started the plaquenil. The itch happens when my head/hair is wet. Once its dry it stops. I never had that happen before starting the drug. Weird.

The top of my scalp itches all the time. But someone told me it’s just a part of having Lupus.

My symptoms are a lot like yours. I have been on Hydroxychloroquin for almost exactly 3 months. I really noticed it at about 1 1/2 months into it, up until then it was just a very sensitive scalp. The itching started behind my ears and up a little higher. My scalp is also very sensitive and 1 make sure to take ibuprofen before going to the barber because it deadens the sensitivity some. The itchiness drives me crazy sometimes. I have a dermatologist appointment next week, I'll ask him. I am fortunate because I only have SCLE and not SLE, but it's terrible feeling like I have bugs on my scalp all the time!

Joe, let me know what your dermatologist says. Your experience mimics mine…although my scalp has never been sensitive.

Hi everyone. I started on Plaquenil this Jan2014 but my itching scalp problem started in 2012. The same time when early signs of SLE started too. Recently, while getting my hair washed by a hair stylist, who had earlier commented I had major scalp problem, I googled and read that for chronic illness patients, bad scalp and dandruff condition is a norm. So we can only try to wash our hair often using organic hair treatments and avoid heavy chemically treated treatments.

You might be interested in Argan oil. I assume that it originates in Morocco since products containing it frequently are named Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo, etc. You can buy shampoo containing argan oil many places, even WalMart. I have friends who order straight argan oil off the internet and mix it into their shampoo and body lotion at home. It’s supposed to be good for your face, too. I have not ordered any yet, however my skin is becoming so dry that I can’t stand it anymore. I am contemplating a purchase as we speak. Has anyone else tried this oil?

The online website where you can buy any and all kinds of essential oils is called Garden of Wisdom. If you post a question, they have knowledgable people who can point you in the correct direction. Martha

MizOh said:

You might be interested in Argan oil. I assume that it originates in Morocco since products containing it frequently are named Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo, etc. You can buy shampoo containing argan oil many places, even WalMart. I have friends who order straight argan oil off the internet and mix it into their shampoo and body lotion at home. It’s supposed to be good for your face, too. I have not ordered any yet, however my skin is becoming so dry that I can’t stand it anymore. I am contemplating a purchase as we speak. Has anyone else tried this oil?

Hi Steen,

I had been wondering if it was a side effect of SLE as well. I’m on both too Hydroxychloroquin and plaquenil and they help so much. Before I was diagnosed in March my hair started thinning out and then falling out by the handfuls. My Hematologist told me not to worry that it wouldn’t completely fall out but it had gotten so bad I ended up cutting it really short up to my shoulders. I have never had my hair this short its growing back very slowly started taking biotin and folic acid to help it was scared to be bald sure it might sound silly but with the weight loss and now my hair it made me feel very bad about myself. I know it’s just superficial but I’m a woman the way we look matters to us. Was wondering is your hair being itchy and falling off so mucha symptom or a flare? For all those battling Lupus for years now? Will it eventually grow back?

Mary, So far, I don’t have any symptoms of hair falling out. Hopefully that won’t happen but if it does, I’ll March down to the party store to get myself a big red nose and a rainbow wig! I can hen go to the hospital and make some kids happy!!! Have to make lemonade out of lemons.
Haha! Actually…I hadn’t thought of that. I don’t THINK it’s any flare…I’ve been feeling really good lately.
To the others…I did get a couple of shampoo and something else from the doc for the itch. Hoping it will be the answer.

Helloo Steen, remember that everyone has different side affects to meds. , NO two people are the same okay ! Saying this ask your doctor to drop your mg's. , that might help ? ... Beverly L.