Rash in the scalp

Hi everyone, I haven’t post for a while but I do read everyone’s post. I don’t have the energy to do much plus a have bad pain in my hands. I have too many issues and right the the biggest one is rash on my scalp , chest, and on of my neck. My doctor told me is an infection due to lupus. If I stop taking antibiotics the rash comes back right away so she said probably I will have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life. The itching and rash is so bad that I cut my long hair to a short hair cut I top of that the ladie who cut it did wrong and got it reall short. My hair is black, very thick and super strait so sticks up really bad. I cannot make it go down (help!). Anyway does anyone has this problem with rash on their scalp, and does anyone knows if lupus can mess with your period (sorry for the stupid question about the period). Hugs to everyone and thanks for all the support because even when I don’t post a lot a read everyone’s post and I know you guys are there. Sometimes a feel so lonely and I want to communicate with all of you guys but I don’t have the energy , I cannot even answer my email, my therapist saids is because depression, I don’t know anyone. Thanks to all of you for being here for me. Hugs and love for everyone!

Hello firstflorde,

Sorry to hear about the rash in your head, chest and neck but i'm being straight never heard such a thing of a doctor to say you'll most likely need to take antibiotic's for the rest of your life....anyone ill or not should only take two courses yearly and with Lupus suffers more than that in a year your immune system will be totally messed up completley.

I have the head rash and chest they occur no and again but you need to be refered to a Dermo...i've just been put on plaquenil it's an excellent drug and it helps DLE and this is what your suffering skin flares, no wonder your down and i totally disagree with the antibiotic's....like i say you either need steriod based creams or trying plaquenil to help you.

Sounds like you have static hair...this is caused through alot of electricity passing through the body, have you though of straightners on your hair to carm it down.

Lupus can mess with your periods because mine was all over the show and between my periods i was hemorraging bad out the blue and having anaemia bad at a low count...it had got to be stopped, so they operated on me and did the novasure operation..it's an instrument which burns the uterus out and i don't see anymore.

Depression is such a large issue with us all and i really do feel for you as it sounds like everything is draining you.

Do takecare and i'm thinking of you dearly Terri xxx

Hello firstflorde,

If your not on plaquenil ask for it because it soon sorted my skin out but i have noticed my rashes appear in the head with stress but unless you want your body to fail you altogether no more than two lots in a year and that's why i said plaquenil because heat makes me alot worse i'm indoors constantley and the heat makes me bad also and soon triggers my skin.

Sorry about your hair but mine kept coming out so i've kept mine skinned on grade 1.

Regarding friends your not alone and besides that to many people today are so ignorant look at those losing out not yourself and lupus is not contageous...some people make me sick.

Such a loving comment on the end...your one special person. xxx

firstflorde1 said:

Thank you Terri, I did thought being on antibiotics for the rest of my life was not right. I don't like taking
meds not even for a week. Well my hair is sticking up because I cutted so short almost like a boys cut. The ladie who cutted messed up so I went back do they can fix it and came out even worse :(
Oh well I guess because I almost never leave my house anyway. I cannot be in the heat because I get really bad rash and other stuff and feel like passing out, I feel trapped in my house. I hate the heat I live in AZ, have no friends is like when my so call friends found out of all my illness they disappeared even when none of my illnesses are contagious . That really hurt me. Thank God for sending all of you to me, you guys are like angels in my life. Thanks again.

No doctor should be telling you that you will have to take antibiotics forever. That’s not good medicine. When I was younger, I used to get a scaly rash in my scalp which would weep and would cause my hair to fall out. I used to scratch it, and that would make it weep, and bleed. I was diagnosed with Eczema. Maybe you should see a dermatologist. They may be able to take a sample of the skin to determine why it’s happening and treat you properly. Try not to scratch, because it will just get worse. Lupus can affect your period. Lupus can cause some to have no periods or skipped periods. It can also cause heavy bleeding. Many people, including myself, experience flares while they have their period, or a lot of pain. This can be because of hormone levels changing in your body,

Wow...It's amazing how many things I can look back on and implicate undiagnosed Lupus. I also had endometrial ablation due to hemmoraging periods...I was going to nursing school at the time and remember once my HCT was 19. I refused blood and got iron transfusions a couple times until I could get insurance to get the surgery done. I was 39 at the time and awfully early for perimenopause that we were attributing it to.

I'm still starting the plaquenil and am itching...is that a Side Effect?

I've gotten those scaley rashes/excema before in my scalp (among other places) over the years...once again befoe knowing I had lupus. I just used antidandriff shampoo and would smear hydrocortisone (and sometimes stronger cortisone creme) and OTC antibiotic ointment over the area before bed and after a couple days it would clear up. I never talked to my doc about it though.

Tez_20 said:

Hello firstflorde,

Sorry to hear about the rash in your head, chest and neck but i'm being straight never heard such a thing of a doctor to say you'll most likely need to take antibiotic's for the rest of your life....anyone ill or not should only take two courses yearly and with Lupus suffers more than that in a year your immune system will be totally messed up completley.

I have the head rash and chest they occur no and again but you need to be refered to a Dermo...i've just been put on plaquenil it's an excellent drug and it helps DLE and this is what your suffering skin flares, no wonder your down and i totally disagree with the antibiotic's....like i say you either need steriod based creams or trying plaquenil to help you.

Sounds like you have static hair...this is caused through alot of electricity passing through the body, have you though of straightners on your hair to carm it down.

Lupus can mess with your periods because mine was all over the show and between my periods i was hemorraging bad out the blue and having anaemia bad at a low count...it had got to be stopped, so they operated on me and did the novasure operation..it's an instrument which burns the uterus out and i don't see anymore.

Depression is such a large issue with us all and i really do feel for you as it sounds like everything is draining you.

Firstflorde

Please have the rash on your head, chest and back biospied. That way they can find out if it is an infection or a lupus rash. I get rashes on my head, chest and back all the time from a rare lupus rash called tumid lupus. If the doctor doesn’t biospy it there is not way to tell if it is an infection or lupus merely because it disappears and comes back. That process may not be the anitobocatis it may just be your body causing that to happen. I know that sounds wiered but it happens to me.

With regards to the period, I agree with the rest of the group here. My periods were all messed up. I would have break through bleeding and I would hemorrhage all the time. I had to finally have a hysterectomy at the very young age of 24. This happened before I was diagnosed with tumid lupus. I also had six miscarriages. Please get this issued checked out too.

I wish you the best of luck and I am here if you need to talk. Please let me know what you find out.

Deenie

Hello Pam,

Your not the only one who can look back on issues...the more i chat on here with member's it makes me realize...oh i had symptoms but it's abit late in the day now and i do get angry sometimes thinking the bloods i've had took in 26yrs and for all i know Lupus could have been seen and they totally ignored me after wrongly diagnosing years back....it's funny how we had the same operation because of hemmoraging...they tested me for the menopause and i was'nt in it like yourself but they offered me the coil or the op...well it was pointless having the coil when i was already sterilized.

You can have itching with the plaquenil and a rash develope as that's a side affect, i've just gone back on it also and got no side affects this time just 4 days of nausea...taking it at night before bed helps it as your sleeping off the side affects...i take my last lot of main meds at 10pm then the plaquenil at 11pm and i hit the pillow for 1am or just after.

I've always had a rash come in my head mainly through heat or stress, they come in lumps and itch bad then i started having white flakes which looked terrible and i tried different shampoo's and the one that stopped it was Elvive, i still get the lumps but no flakes.

All my love your way Terri xxx

PollyannaPam said:

Wow...It's amazing how many things I can look back on and implicate undiagnosed Lupus. I also had endometrial ablation due to hemmoraging periods...I was going to nursing school at the time and remember once my HCT was 19. I refused blood and got iron transfusions a couple times until I could get insurance to get the surgery done. I was 39 at the time and awfully early for perimenopause that we were attributing it to.

I'm still starting the plaquenil and am itching...is that a Side Effect?

I've gotten those scaley rashes/excema before in my scalp (among other places) over the years...once again befoe knowing I had lupus. I just used antidandriff shampoo and would smear hydrocortisone (and sometimes stronger cortisone creme) and OTC antibiotic ointment over the area before bed and after a couple days it would clear up. I never talked to my doc about it though.

Tez_20 said:

Hello firstflorde,

Hello firstflorde,

Some rashes do come with a liquid and are usuallyu called blister rashes they can come in your head, i've had they put not so much as the lumpy spots which itch but i do know the fluid ones turn into scabs when it's leaked out.

They are mainly to do with skin issues because my dermo as seen mine but never mentioned infections, he applies me with steriod plasters for any other place they come....i know what you mean about other places and being annoyed...i seem to suffer from biles alot in other places and it's always when i'm run down with the lupus...it does'nt matter how clean you are and protective to your body it's like it loves pushing it's way through and making we suffer.

I know how you feel with the diabetes my mom had it really bad not even the insulin could help her and that's a total nightmare within itself.

Your welcome to the help and we're all here for one another anytime.

All my love Terri xxxx

firstflorde1 said:

The rash I get have some kind of liquid , I was told by my doctor that is an infection due to lupus, I also get it in other areas where is hair, is embarrassing and annoying. Lupus have so many complications, I feel like I am lost I don't know what is what anymore or if the symptoms are due to lupus, fibromyalgia, diabetes, or all other stuff I have. I feel like start running and not stop until everything is gone.