Difficulty urinating?

Has anyone had issues with difficulty urinating? I have had this issue on and off for about a year now. Sometimes it just feels like I have to push in order to empty my bladder. Other times I have to go but can't start. At one point, I thought I would have to go to the ER and be catheterized. However, this always resolves and I go back to normal. For the last week straight I have been having to strain to go. I have no problem starting but it feels like my 'stream' is weak and it takes me longer to go and I have to push to empty my bladder. I don't have any signs of a bladder infection or kidney infection.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I know that everything I experience will not necessarily be caused by lupus but I am curious to know if this could be???

Thanks!!

Hi Mel,

Yes, I have SLE too and I have the same problem, for years I didnt have any difficulties until last year. It felt like I was always having to push to relieve myself. So I started drinking more warter now that seemed to help me, it may not help you. I drink about 2 to 3 32 oz. of water a day.....its not going to hurt so you might want to give it a try....Good Luck and hope to talk with you again.......

I also experience issues in that department. I have had kidney infections, bllod in the urine, etc. So I kind of put it in this perspective, the inflammation I feel affects the urinary tract, bladder, kidneys, etc. as it does so many other body parts, causing problems as you said. If I am in a “flare”, I believe it is due to inflammation. BUT, I do think you should have your urine checked, see what is going on & speak to your doctor about these symptoms. Good Luck! Suzie :0) P.S. when I had a Kidney Infection I was put on strong antibiotics to resolve it.

I have also had this problem. I have increased my water intake and it has seemed to help resolve the issue for me. Hope you are feeling better… Regards… Bethany

Mel....

I too had had this issue...comes and goes. I get kindey infections, bladder infection, and yeast infections. I have come to a few conclusion. One it's the SLE, two it's the meds I am on, three it's the infections. I also agree that lots of water will help with all three conclusions. It also comes at my time of the month. I drink at least 4x 16oz of water a day, sometimes up to 10!

I would advise against a catheter...gave me a yeast infection! Did it ONE time and that is the last time I will do that; it is not a good cure for me.

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! It has driven me crazy for about a year. Since I still don’t have an ‘official’ diagnosis of lupus (my family doctor says absolutely but the rheumatologist I just saw says we have to wait for the anti-DNA testing for a conclusive diagnosis), I question anything going on and keep a list and journal of all my symptoms, whether related or not. My grandmother had lupus and I have no doubt that this is what I have. Multiple Sclerosis has been ruled out, Rheumatoid Arthritis has been ruled out, and so has just about everything else, including vitamin deficiencies. Just very frustrating. But thank you all so much for sharing with me. It definitely helps to know others have had the same issues and I am not crazy! :slight_smile:

Mel1964 said:

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! It has driven me crazy for about a year. Since I still don't have an 'official' diagnosis of lupus (my family doctor says absolutely but the rheumatologist I just saw says we have to wait for the anti-DNA testing for a conclusive diagnosis), I question anything going on and keep a list and journal of all my symptoms, whether related or not. My grandmother had lupus and I have no doubt that this is what I have. Multiple Sclerosis has been ruled out, Rheumatoid Arthritis has been ruled out, and so has just about everything else, including vitamin deficiencies. Just very frustrating. But thank you all so much for sharing with me. It definitely helps to know others have had the same issues and I am not crazy! :)

M. D. Callender said:
No your not crazy…but we have all felt crazy! or’ made to feel like faker’s…stand up for yourself
! and keep a food journy!!!"Mel1964 said:

Thanks so much everyone for your comments! It has driven me crazy for about a year. Since I still don't have an 'official' diagnosis of lupus (my family doctor says absolutely but the rheumatologist I just saw says we have to wait for the anti-DNA testing for a conclusive diagnosis), I question anything going on and keep a list and journal of all my symptoms, whether related or not. My grandmother had lupus and I have no doubt that this is what I have. Multiple Sclerosis has been ruled out, Rheumatoid Arthritis has been ruled out, and so has just about everything else, including vitamin deficiencies. Just very frustrating. But thank you all so much for sharing with me. It definitely helps to know others have had the same issues and I am not crazy! :)

AMEN to that M.D.! WE have ALL been there at one point in time! Unfortunatley MORE than once, and it is a horrible feeling! They look at you like u ARE CRAZY! And, we sure know we ARE NOT!!! That to me has been one of the hardest things to deal with, the doctors and their lack of true care or shall I say compassion…! {{HUGS}} to ALL OF U! Suzie :0)

M. D. Callender said:

M. D. Callender said:
No your not crazy....but we have all felt crazy! or' made to feel like faker's...stand up for yourself
! and keep a food journy!!!"Mel1964 said:

I have this same problem. At first I thought it might be a complication from my total abdominal hysterectomy I had in December. But that usally causes peeing in your pants when you sneeze or laugh. My problem is getting it to start and keeping it going. I really have to push hard. I call it peeing like a racehorse! LOL