Plaquenil side affects anyone

A doctor of mine is wondering if plaquenil may be the cause of my full body 'barely visable' tremors' anyone get this from plaquenil ever?

Not from Plaquenil but from the lupus

Yeah. I get tremors from lupus. It’s like my muscles are vibrating under my skin.

I am not sure the tremors are from plaquenil I think they are from lupus. You may want to see a neurologist. It is just part of the fun. Plaquinil should actually make it better. Give it some time if you just started it, take time. See a neurologist though, I recommend it. I love mine.

Hi

The only side effect I get is gas and a little diahhrea. I agree that the tremors are from the Lupus.

Good Luck.

Cindy

For what it is worth...I had those full body tremors before I ever went on Plaquenil...as just part of my general hodge podge of symptoms that didn't make any sense. They were worse when I was stressed by anything...or had to hurry to get ready and be somewhere at a certain time...or even just put out extra effort than typical. So yes I have had them connected to my Lupus...but NOT from Plaquenil. I still get them occasionally...but not as consistently as I did before I was on Plaquenil. I could always feel them more than other people could see them...except as I mentioned in times of stress or hurrying. Then sometimes I had to hold my water glass with two hands just to get it safely to my mouth...and people would notice. The same with my silverware and certain foods...like soup. Always a bit risky at large tremor time.

The only side effect I've heard about for Plaquenil is the effect on the eyes, specifically the tendency to have an effect on peripheral vision. I have been on Plaquenil for about ten years now and am just now seeing the effects on the peripheral vision. I think there are some other possible side effects, but I've not heard of tremors as one. My rheumy refers to Plaquenil as "a fairly benign drug". Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hi JDT, I am not trying to sound preachy here but please go see your eye doc ASAP. Plaquenil can cause serious damage to your eyes, especially when taken for a long time, but it is reversible if caught early and the plaquenil discontinued. Hope it is nothing but my motto is “better safe than sorry.” Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Mary Beth

here is webmd link on side effects of plaquenil. Does not mean though that it might be specific to you ...this side effect.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6986-Plaquenil+Oral.aspx

I been on it since 84....you do the math. No eye problems but i go every 6 months...does or can change hair color and think it might have helped me grey young...but i was already.

Trembling can be low magnesium ...you might try some dark chocolate and epsom salts bath which just by itself might solve the problem.

Were you tested for MS and or lupus in the brain? Your doctor is aware that lupus can affect the brain and cause neurological problems. They should know this but some seen it and others have not...would not hurt to just ask...maybe see neurologist.

I do think plaquenil is one of the safer drugs as long as you have your eyes checked every 6 months....it can cause blindness so this is something you must do. As long as you go, eye doc can catch it and as long as it is caught early it can be reversed and controlled.

Hopefully just chocolate is needed!! Happy thanksgiving

it is a fairly benign drug i am aware lupus can cause tremors and all this stuff yall talk about my doctor is aware of lupus CNS and MS . but the side affects i listed can happen with the drug and it is different for everyone i feel like everyone here is telling me not to listen to my doctor. this is day 3 off the drug and the tingling is gone and the muscle spasms are gone but i still have a bit of tremors

We’re not saying don’t listen to your doctor. Just sharing our experience. Listen to your doc. That’s what they’re there for. I’m glad some of the side effects are lifting.

Thanks MBPP! I think I am scheduled for my six month follow-up with my ophthalmologist in December and will have another field vision test. He noticed just a slight change from the previous test, when I was there back in the summer, but I was also under a lot of stress at the time which could have had a bit of an effect on my test. That was also the day that he prescribed me Restasis for chronic dry eye (from Lupus or possibly Secondary Sjogren's). Not preachy at all. It is nice to know that someone is concerned and understands. :) Happy Thanksgiving! ~ {Hugs} ~ Jess

MBPP said:

Hi JDT, I am not trying to sound preachy here but please go see your eye doc ASAP. Plaquenil can cause serious damage to your eyes, especially when taken for a long time, but it is reversible if caught early and the plaquenil discontinued. Hope it is nothing but my motto is "better safe than sorry." Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Mary Beth

I have tremors too. Mostly in my hands and legs. I have been on plaquenil since 2005. Vision check every 6 months. I see a rhuemy in about a week.

I also have tremors but my neurologist thought that I was getting Parkinson’s, gave me Parkinson’s meds that my husband take and has bad side effects from so I didn’t take it, just trying to take one day at a time.

Hi Anita

I'm no doctor but what one person has side effects from another person may not.

I wish for you tohave a good day.

Cindy

jdt said:

The only side effect I've heard about for Plaquenil is the effect on the eyes, specifically the tendency to have an effect on peripheral vision. I have been on Plaquenil for about ten years now and am just now seeing the effects on the peripheral vision. I think there are some other possible side effects, but I've not heard of tremors as one. My rheumy refers to Plaquenil as "a fairly benign drug". Hope you're feeling better soon!

I have been on Plaquenil for 3 years now and get my eyes tested every 6 months. The eye doctor told me that if I do not have the vision loss in the first 5 years chances are that I will not have any at all. But like yourself, I have heard different from others that have suffered some type of loss many years after taking the drug. I was hoping to get off of it after a while but my Rheuym told me that she intends to keep me on it the rest of my life. It keeps inflammation down, it has some protection for the kidneys, helps keep blood sugar in check and has a mild thinning effect on the blood. So since I have APS, stage 3 CKD, a mechanical heart valve and I am a canidate for metabolic symdrome, I guess it helps me from getting type 2 diabetes. But exercise and a healthy lifestyle should be had by all with any type of autoimmune.

Tremors can be a symptom of Lupus in itself - I have tremors and they've recently changed/worsened. I usually have some movement disorder (tremors, one leg kicking out on its own, reflex issues) with my flare-ups. I am on a beta blocker for the tremors since I've recently had a change in my tremors where two fingers twitch back and forth on their own, in addition to my arms/hands shaking. I also have had had heart palpitations constantly this flare-up (I'm told it's most likely a PVC and the beta blocker should help to tone down my adrenaline which may help with the tremors and heart palpitations). I was also told to avoid caffeine (which I don't really drink/eat anyway). I'm not a smoker nor do I drink which can also be a factor. You should see your doctor about your tremors, especially if they've changed/are new. Tremors can also be "familial" but I've found mine to be worse during my flare-ups. Try to notice what makes them worse/better and tell your doctor. Go with your instincts if you're worried about it.

I have recently noticed that I will have a finger or two on my left hand that will start twitching on occasion. I usually notice it when I’m typing (and repeatedly hit the same letter 3 or 4 times within that second) typing or picking up a coffee cup or something. I’ve never noticed it when I’m not using my hand at all. I plan to mention it to the dr at my next visit. I’m assuming it has something to do with the lupus.