Minneapolis/St. Paul Area

I'm wondering if any one had any reviews on the University of Minnesota Lupus Clinic. I'm not happy with my current treatment. I feel disregarded by my rheumatologist and would dislike switching clinics, but feel it may be a good decision in order for me to receive timely and cooperative care. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sara

Hey Sara! I just changed rheumatologist’s also. In fact just saw a rheumy with Mayo Clinic. I too felt that my previous rheumatologist disregarded a lot of my symptoms. I was quite happy with the new doctor I saw today at Mayo. He explained lupus to me, flares, medications etc. He really listened
Good luck in finding a caring, competant doctor.
Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl!

I think one the best things you can do is make it very clear with people referring you or whom you are asking about new doctors what exactly you expect in a doctor. Some people like doctors who tell them what to do, others like to be friendly, some want doctors that will listen to all their problems. Just we expect different things.

You might try and speak open and honestly to this doctor about your misgivings and it is possible that they will adjust to help you feel more heard. If they do not, you know their style...often too you might find a doctor with a style you do not normally like but once honest, you realize how honest they truly are so there is potential. Also do not get caught up in names, where they practice etc...many excellent doctors who choose to not practice in brand name places.

You might think about what it is you really want, like i prefer doctors who spend enough time ..schedule at least 15 minutes per patient....most offices will tell you opening about how long the allow. I also like honest, open and mutual respect.

You might also post on the Doctors group ....people post excellent ones as well as look for others.

But you might consider giving them a chance to meet your standards or expectations once you explain them. Good luck, today visiting a very excellent Vet who is willing to go all out to help my two dogs, i realize, that is what i like the most, knowing my doctors will do that for me when i am sick. GOOD luck, good doctors are out there...takes finding one and from that one they usually recommend you to like doctors..

Who do you all see? I spent 5 wks outpatient there before being diagnosed. We had to stop going and find doctors closer to home as the 8th drive + hotel was really starting to be to much financially. So we got doctors closer to home. But there not doing anything so we will most likely be heading there again.

Hi, Congrats on finding a caring rheumy! I am scheduled to go to Mayo next month. Can I ask who your doctor is?

asiangirl said:

Hey Sara! I just changed rheumatologist's also. In fact just saw a rheumy with Mayo Clinic. I too felt that my previous rheumatologist disregarded a lot of my symptoms. I was quite happy with the new doctor I saw today at Mayo. He explained lupus to me, flares, medications etc. He really listened
Cheryl

I had Dr. Yetterberg (sp) for rheumy. And Dr. Szostek (sp) internal meds. I was very happy with both!!! If u need a neurologist DO NOT get Dr. Lachance (sp)!!! He was so rude and had no care or concern!

Hi Sara,

I have been seeing Dr. Sufka at Health Partners in St. Paul for over two years. He is awesome, he is very empathetic, even when I am frustrated he will hear me out and find what works for me. I have been on Methotrexate, Benlysta and now I am on Rituxan. So far so good, I was dx 7 years ago and have moved 4 times, during that time I saw a lot of different doctors, he is by far one of the best. Good luck!

Thanks Liz.

Cheryl which mayo clinic are you going to?

Cappi I go the the mayo Clinic Jacksonville. My rheumy is Dr Benjamin Wang

Cappi said:

Hi, Congrats on finding a caring rheumy! I am scheduled to go to Mayo next month. Can I ask who your doctor is?

asiangirl said:

Hey Sara! I just changed rheumatologist's also. In fact just saw a rheumy with Mayo Clinic. I too felt that my previous rheumatologist disregarded a lot of my symptoms. I was quite happy with the new doctor I saw today at Mayo. He explained lupus to me, flares, medications etc. He really listened
Cheryl

Mayo Clinic Jacksonville

Sara said:

Thanks Liz.

Cheryl which mayo clinic are you going to?

I see Dr Udayakumar, UofM physicians. He’s really great. If he has a 15 min time slot, I’d never know it. He is very good about talking through things and he even thinks through, while there- after exam and talking through issues- what my next step should be. He allows me an opinion in my treatment. So good bed side manner but very smart. My internist is AMAZING! Dr Bradford Johnson, Fairview systems, is sweet and very caring and smart! Great bedside manner, definitely doesn’t believe in only 15min in the room. Totally been there 45 min or longer and in I’m upset he hands tissues and spends more time with me and my husband. Totally supportive about listening to my needs and what I want to do with my health. If you need a cardio in TC, let me know!:heart: