How do you know if kidneys are involved

I was wondering how to know if your kidneys are being damaged by Lupus? Would it show up on blood work or do you need to go right in and do a biopsy? I have been sick for 20 yrs with chronic fatigue syndrome and I have so many Lupus symptoms. My rheumy put me on Plaquenil but now I wonder if I do have Lupus have my kidneys been effected, since I have been sick for so long. TY, Alley :/

It can show up in blood work (BUN and creatinine levels are used to test renal function) and a urinalysis. Those are typically the first tests they'll do to check your kidneys and monitor them if there is any involvement.

TY, so far those are good :)

Yay! Glad those labs are good. :)

Everything else is going wrong, but so far so good for the kidneys.

Hi, I had not realised a trifecta ( as you so eloquently put it ) was possible. So as my Cuteaneaous Lupus (dx 14 months) appears to have 'tipped over' to S.L.E. ; I'll just have both types now?

Currently booked for Cat Scan & Bone Marrow Biopsy. If these come back clear for Cancer I'll still 'just' have Lupus, is that correct?

Thank you Kaz xo

Hi Alley yes they would have to do blood work they check your cretina which is what makes the kidney functiosn to see if you have protein in it.My lupus has got to my kidneys they now function at 20 percent .I have had one biobsy that was no fun at all.My kidney doctor will not give me Plaquenil he saids it not good for the kidneys since my function so low the only med I can take is flexial and tremdole for pain thats it becareful of take lots of med because if Kidney are bad it will affect them and all hope that helps have bless day!!

So I wonder then if Plaquenil causes the kidneys to become involved? Scary thing!

Sunshine said:

Hi Alley yes they would have to do blood work they check your cretina which is what makes the kidney functiosn to see if you have protein in it.My lupus has got to my kidneys they now function at 20 percent .I have had one biobsy that was no fun at all.My kidney doctor will not give me Plaquenil he saids it not good for the kidneys since my function so low the only med I can take is flexial and tremdole for pain thats it becareful of take lots of med because if Kidney are bad it will affect them and all hope that helps have bless day!!

Also top number in your blood pressure can be indicator of possible kidney issues. But need blood and urine to make 100% sure...as others have stated.

Hello Alley,

I have organ involvement where my kidney's actually swell and cause proper stabbing pains, if you lose blood in your urine that's another sign your kidneys are infected but regarding tests the proper way of finding out with your organs is a biopsy.

This info may help you....Terri :)

Is there a test to diagnose lupus kidney disease?
No simple single test can show how the kidneys are doing, so all people with lupus should have their urine examined for the presence of protein or blood cells, and their blood checked to assess kidney function, on a regular basis. The development of high blood pressure can also be a sign that the kidneys are inflamed. These are important tests for every person with lupus to have again and again, even if the kidneys have always been healthy in the past.

How is lupus kidney disease treated?
Many people with lupus have mild kidney disease that needs ongoing care with lifestyle changes such as not eating salty foods. They should visit the doctor regularly because blood pressure and lab tests are needed to monitor the disease and adjust treatment. If blood pressure is high, it can speed up kidney damage.

If the doctor suspects lupus kidney disease, he or she may biopsy the kidney to find out the amount of inflammation and damage. The treatment will then depend on symptoms and the biopsy results.

What medicines are used to treat lupus kidney disease?
Medicines such as "diuretics" (water pills) can help remove fluid and increase comfort. For kidney disease that is more severe, other medicines may be prescribed, such as corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs [CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil), Imuran (azathioprine), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide)], and blood pressure medicines.

TY so much for that very thorough info.....be well my friend xox

Tez_20 said:

Hello Alley,

I have organ involvement where my kidney's actually swell and cause proper stabbing pains, if you lose blood in your urine that's another sign your kidneys are infected but regarding tests the proper way of finding out with your organs is a biopsy.

This info may help you....Terri :)

Is there a test to diagnose lupus kidney disease?
No simple single test can show how the kidneys are doing, so all people with lupus should have their urine examined for the presence of protein or blood cells, and their blood checked to assess kidney function, on a regular basis. The development of high blood pressure can also be a sign that the kidneys are inflamed. These are important tests for every person with lupus to have again and again, even if the kidneys have always been healthy in the past.

How is lupus kidney disease treated?
Many people with lupus have mild kidney disease that needs ongoing care with lifestyle changes such as not eating salty foods. They should visit the doctor regularly because blood pressure and lab tests are needed to monitor the disease and adjust treatment. If blood pressure is high, it can speed up kidney damage.

If the doctor suspects lupus kidney disease, he or she may biopsy the kidney to find out the amount of inflammation and damage. The treatment will then depend on symptoms and the biopsy results.

What medicines are used to treat lupus kidney disease?
Medicines such as "diuretics" (water pills) can help remove fluid and increase comfort. For kidney disease that is more severe, other medicines may be prescribed, such as corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs [CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil), Imuran (azathioprine), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide)], and blood pressure medicines.