Gluten Limited not Gluten Free

I’ve tried following a Gluten Free lifestyle and the results are positive. I don’t know if I have celiac disease but I do have inflammation when I eat to much Gluten ( wheat, processed foods), but the pressure of leading a Gluten Free lifestyle can get overwhelming , to lighten the pressure , “I’m Gluten Limited”.

http://jccolyer.tumblr.com/post/27192044041/gluten-limited-not-glut...

Hello JC,

I don't eat alot but when i do eat, i don't keep off foods we should avoid or gluten because we need to enjoy something in our lifes at least.

I was tested for coeliac disease and it came back negative but the specialist knew that lupus can cause false reading but with furthur investigation i do have bad IBS....and i know how you feel regarding inflammation because i have it badly and it does put you in some pain....so watching the amount i eat his another issue but i have noticed peppers/beans and a few other things trigger the pain more, so they've been cut out.

I'd seek furthur investgation to make sure.

Terri

Hi JC,

Sounds like a good compromise. It is very difficult being raised on gluten and then eliminating it. I did gluten free, anti-inflammatory for about a year, it really did not make a great difference. The worst was the gluten free bread, couldn't eat it! I really enjoyed the rice cracker flat bread though.

What was your downfall, bread, pastry, pasta, gravy? I know after a while, you crave it like mad!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

SK

JC

Thanks for sharing this, I am researching Gluten free, and it is overwhelming. I had a gastric bypass 11 years ago, and lost 75 pounds, and at first I thought some foods just bothered me from that. But this are new symptons, of bloating and swelling. Some days I can't wear a pair of pants that I could a day before. My husband is diabetic, and his sugar is doing great now from when he was diagnosed a year ago, but would like to stabilize it and this could help both of us!

Trisha

Same here, just wish I had discovered it sooner!

JC,

Nice to hear your doing well plus i've sorted myself out besides to help my IBS and i'm glad i'm eatting better but still off to see the gastro on the 1st november as i thing it's more than IBS.

Terri :)

SK,

I don't know how long ago you tried this, but there are some things that have become much more palatable even in the last year. The bread by UNI is pretty good, but I have yet to find a decent hamburger bun or other bread product. I have a couple of good cookie recipes that I am putting on the group site as I have a terrible sweet tooth. I have found that pie crust made gluten free is actually better than regular pie crust. A simple switch from flour to corn starch for making gravies or using tapioca as a thickening agent (it doesn't take much) and that takes a lot of the guesswork out of limiting gluten.

My doc is VERY into natural healing and like JC said most people aren't technically allergic but are instead sensitive to the gluten and other additives in processed foods. He recommends a food enzyme to assist with digestion and that has definitely helped. Removing gluten for weight loss will probably NOT work as many gluten-free foods are higher in calories and fat.

Sometimes just going more natural and less processed is enough to help people with IBS. Good luck at the doc.

DeAnne

SK said:

Hi JC,

Sounds like a good compromise. It is very difficult being raised on gluten and then eliminating it. I did gluten free, anti-inflammatory for about a year, it really did not make a great difference. The worst was the gluten free bread, couldn't eat it! I really enjoyed the rice cracker flat bread though.

What was your downfall, bread, pastry, pasta, gravy? I know after a while, you crave it like mad!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

SK

I live in California. There's a Costco on every corner. This holiday season they carried (in sitting here smacking my lips) 10 pounds of organic sweet potatoes. They were so good and so sweet that you didn't have to add anything. Yum. My guests concurred. I probably ate 5 lbs out of the 10.

I hope they have them during the year too. They're so good for you and they're guilt-free.

I love sweet potatoes!

You are so right, in my recipes I just subsitute gluten flour or corn flour in place of regular bleached wheat flour and I eat natural foods and veggies with all meals and eating this way is wholesome and keeps me full longer than eating something full of artificial ingredients and fuctose sugars. I just know that when I made the choice to go gluten free I knew that I hit upon something that helped me with me pain , bloating and not feeling well after eating processed foods. You don't really need to be someone who loves to cook, I shop at health food and at whole food stores. I can find, macorone, spaggetie and sauce, cookies, chips, cold cerals and I use Olive oils to cook with. Health food stores have such a large section of gluten free with so many different things to choose from I get pizza crust, bagels, muffins and gluten free yogurts. I thing that I will eat this way for a long time, it has been 5 monts. Feeling great, no more stomach pain and I have Lupus and Crohn's disease.

whathappensinvegas said:

SK,

I don't know how long ago you tried this, but there are some things that have become much more palatable even in the last year. The bread by UNI is pretty good, but I have yet to find a decent hamburger bun or other bread product. I have a couple of good cookie recipes that I am putting on the group site as I have a terrible sweet tooth. I have found that pie crust made gluten free is actually better than regular pie crust. A simple switch from flour to corn starch for making gravies or using tapioca as a thickening agent (it doesn't take much) and that takes a lot of the guesswork out of limiting gluten.

My doc is VERY into natural healing and like JC said most people aren't technically allergic but are instead sensitive to the gluten and other additives in processed foods. He recommends a food enzyme to assist with digestion and that has definitely helped. Removing gluten for weight loss will probably NOT work as many gluten-free foods are higher in calories and fat.

Sometimes just going more natural and less processed is enough to help people with IBS. Good luck at the doc.

DeAnne

SK said:

Hi JC,

Sounds like a good compromise. It is very difficult being raised on gluten and then eliminating it. I did gluten free, anti-inflammatory for about a year, it really did not make a great difference. The worst was the gluten free bread, couldn't eat it! I really enjoyed the rice cracker flat bread though.

What was your downfall, bread, pastry, pasta, gravy? I know after a while, you crave it like mad!

Hope you are having a good weekend!

SK

To all,

C2C is a non-gluten flour that works well, however it can be expensive. I find that using rice or corn flour with a 1/2 or 3/4 tsp of xantham gum is much less expensive. I am not a baker so never have used much in that manner. It's the hidden gluten and other allergens in food that have inspired me to make the transition. With all of the medications that I have to take, I have found I have far less bloating, nausea, gas, etc. than I did prior to removing gluten from my diet. While not having an actual allergy to gluten, I have developed sensitivities to certain foods. The result is that I now eat more veges, fruit, and unprocessed foods. That may be all that was required and it just happens to be a happy side bonus to reducing gluten in your diet. We have started a group where we can share recipes and ideas on this endeavor that many of us are undertaking.

Good luck to all,

DeAnne

What do xantham gum do for baking?

Ms.P

Xantham gum is a powder that helps things such as pie crusts or other baked goods hold together so that whatever you are baking doesn't come out as just one big crumb. Gluten is what does that in commercial products (I think of gluten as "glue"). Wheat and oats are grains and contain them naturally whereas rice and corn are actually classified as "grasses" and don't naturally contain this.

Hope that helps answer your question. I never heard of it until I started removing gluten from my diet. This is also why things like blue cheese and imitation crab are NO-NOs because they use the wheat type of gluten to hold the products together.

DeAnne

Thank You for the info, I baked some chocolate chip cookies and only used gluten free rice flour and they came out very tasty like regular cookies. I will purchase the gum and use it from now on.

Ms. P,

Yum! I love chocolate chip (hint). It takes very little of the gum so just a small amt. will last you a very long time. I have a dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free & nut-free recipe that I will put on the group site. As I am certain you have a favorite recipe already you can make the following substitutions; for every 2 cups of gluten-free flour add 1 tsp. of xanthan gum.

Happy baking,

DeAnne



Ms. P said:

Thank You for the info, I baked some chocolate chip cookies and only used gluten free rice flour and they came out very tasty like regular cookies. I will purchase the gum and use it from now on.

I made a pan of gluten free cornbread using the Xanthan gum but I also added alittle bit of apple sauce for additional moisture to the batter and I came out very well. You can not taste the apple sauce and it kept the bread from drying out too fast. I love cornbread so much that I always keep some in the fridge or I'll freeze some. I plan to experiment with other receipes and continue to eliminate as much gluten from my diet as possible, but it aint gonna be cheap, gluten free flour is kinda pricey.

Ms. P,

I am so happy that it worked for you. That said, corn meal does not contain gluten so you should not need to replace much with gluten-free flour. I find that stores such as Whole Foods, that allow you to buy in bulk, can be a better price than pre-packaged gluten-free products. There are websites that can show you how to blend your own gluten-free flours, such as rice, corn, etc.

Hope these suggestions help. You will find that there are a surprising number of items that can be replaced by corn, rice & soy flours.

DeAnne

JC great discussion as i suffer from IBS which can also give off bloating and pain also but i believe like how your doing it only going "Gluten Limited"....we may have these symptoms besides diseases but stripping ourselves of alot in life, can also lead to a down side also to life :)

I started watching out for High Fructose sugars in my foods a couple of years ago. I do have some food allergies and I'm also highly allergic to most anything that grows outside. I spend alot of time reading lables when I'm shopping and mix my own drinks and only use natural sweetners I no longer drink sodas or things that have food colorings in them. In order to do as much as I can to control my Lupus and my Crohns I had to become just like a Dr. and do as much research as possible. I sometimes would disscuse my findings with my Dr. and see if he thinks that I should add or delet certain things from my diet. To be honest I learned more about my Lupus from my Cousin, she too has Lupus and she gave me tips on how to take care of myself, she told me things that my Dr. did'nt know she tells me what ever her Dr. tells her to do, I wish that I could see her Dr. but we live in different cities.

Ms. P,

Please share any items that you think may be of help to others on this site. I would love it if you would share this information on this on the Gluten-free Gluten-limited group. The topic is entirely about changing our eating habits and finding food allergies that may trigger symptoms. In this way we can avoid triggers before they turn into full-blown flares. Also, any recipes that are helpful, please put them on the group site and we will put them in the recipe section. Together I think we can help each other.

Best to you,

DeAnne

I plan to observe myself regarding the Corn allergies, I know that I don't digest whole corn completely and due to my Crohns I sometimes will pass it undigested. It is time for me to have a complete allergy test again I need to know if I still have the same issues, if I do have a Corn allergy I may have to go on a hunger strike or go Vegan. LOL

I will post my stats on the gluten free site on the home page.