RA Dislike, Is this normal?

Recently, I went to my RA, and she is a very aloof woman, whom does not explain anything to me despite me asking the question. I have considered leaving her before, but, she is very close to my home and convienent on days, I can't drive for long distances. Normally, prior to this dx, I would not tolerate any nonsense from people and would be quick to move on, but, now, I am stuck and taking this slow, not to cause a flare. Here is our conversation, tell me what you think:

RA: I looked at your labs and there are crystals

Me: Ok, what are crystals

RA: Nothing, not important, just letting you know what I saw

Me: Ok, so why mention it if crystals are nothing?

RA: (ignored the comment then states) I am sending you for additional work

Me: Why? Is their something wrong?

RA: No, let me check you.

Now, to be open and honest, the RA was a bit teed that I went for a second opinion at JHS-Lupus center and she disagreed with the doctor removing me from 1/2 the medication, I was given by my RA. I told the doctor, I feel much better, and she just said "Yeah, ok" then continued to look at my results and say "come, on, now you need this medication, what are they doing?", when looking at the Hopkins recommendation.

I know I need a new RA, but is it just me or are RA's this aloof?

Hi Unshoreandscared,

I've never heard of crystals though like you say and she does sound a stubborn woman who loves throwing issues at your but likes leaving you hanging by a thread to work out what she's mentioned.

Well i've been looking and come across nothing solid to mean crystals except to pieces mention potassium and if it is that she really should tell you.

Sorry i could'nt help furthur. Love Terri xxx

I would give it some time- she didn't answer the crystals question as she needs further work up to determine the cause= many doctors are reluctant to discuss maybes before they have an understanding of the findings or a more definitive diagnosis. I'm assuming the crystals were in your urine- so it could be nothing or it could mean kidney involvement. I also would be wary of a doctor questioning another MD - each doc has their own opinions and you can learn from all of them- so keep an open mind. A one time visit to JH is not a guarantee- how long have you been seeing this RA? What meds were discontinued?

Salagen for Sjoren's

Prednizone for inflammation

I don't know who to believe, I hate feeling this way very alone. Thanks for the responses. I am going to a new doctor in July, to replace the RA

Well i just wish you all the best with your new RA plus get more satisfaction. xxx

Unshoreandscared said:

Salagen for Sjoren's

Prednizone for inflammation

I don't know who to believe, I hate feeling this way very alone. Thanks for the responses. I am going to a new doctor in July, to replace the RA

i would keep asking till satisfied with the answer...? it does sound like she is giving mixed messages: yes there is something I need to check, no there is nothing to worry about, yes you need this, no it doesn't matter...makes a person dizzy! no wonder you left feeling dis satisfied.