Canada’s Ban on incandescent bulbs, demanding compact fluorescent bulbs (CFBs)

Canada decided years ago to force everyone to use curly compact fluorescent light bulbs, and ban old fashioned incandescent light bulbs by this month, Jan 2012. Most of you know that people with lupus get very sick when under fluorescent bulbs, because they have UVA and UVB like the sun. Lupus Canada just sent out an update stating that the decision will be delayed for 2 years. I will be stocking up on the incandescent bulbs, if they won't be selling them anymore by 2014. Here is the link that explains it better than I can. http://bit.ly/yyWS2r

Best wishes, Sheila

I wonder if there are any letter writing campaigns or anything we can do to make the government aware of the health implications of this ban?

Yes, there have been many people writing to their gov't leaders. Even people with epilepsy and psoriasis can't use these bulbs. I think the letters are the reason for the delay, but anyone who wants this ban to stop should be writing letters. I heard lately that the US plands to ban old gasioned bulbs too, but I don't know when.

MegLupusNewbie said:

I wonder if there are any letter writing campaigns or anything we can do to make the government aware of the health implications of this ban?

I have a terrible time shopping due to the big fluorescent bulbs, and I had to keep all the lights off in a hotel room except the bathroon, where I'd be just for a minute or so. Next time I travel, I am taking incandescent bulbs with me to the hotel.

So sorry that's what caused your hospital stay!

Rachel Simpkins said:

See thats why I ended up in Hospital, Flourescent lights flare me to the point I go coma state of mind and rash, My husband gets so upset with the ignorance of people who dont care about Lupus Patients, they have the knowledge they just care about their money. Im forced to work out of my home, get my haircut at home, do some of my work in coffee shops, because its dark in there, I pull all nighters in the summer to get my yard and garden done. YES they NEED to think about us. URGG....A Rachel Moment , Sorry!!!

Thanks Rachel, since you live in the states, google some phrases like "USA light bulb ban" or "incandescent light ban". I know USA was going to follow Canada's lead in the ban, but those CFBs are so dangerous, there's a whole sheet of precautions of how to dispose of them and how to clean up a broken one, because they have mercury gas in them. Those twisty bulbs (CFBs) can not even be manufactured in any non-third-world country, because its too dangerous for the employees! They are so toxic, if there is going to be any ban...it should be the CFBs!

Wow, thanks for your hubby's comments.

gentle hugs, Sheila

thank you for sharing this---lighting has a huge effect on my so i am very interested in this topic...now to decide what to do...what to do